Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

An Accident Waiting to Happen

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 04:47 AM
tg1896
Flaming Anarchist

Bikes: 2008 Bachetta Giro 26 1985 Trek 550 1994 Bianchi Alfana 2006 Cannondale T2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been commuting to work for over two years and almost never see another cyclist. This morning - SURPRISE! - another commuter. What a joy! I catch up to him (he's on an MTB) and say hello - as I approach I notice he has no flashers, no reflectors, he's wearing dark clothes and a black backpack. I'm thinking about providing a little advice, but decide to just give him a wave and a hello. No response. I go to the next red light and am waiting besdie a line of about five cars and here he comes. He not only doesn't stop - he actually started pedaling harder - and runs right through the red light. I follow to the next intersection - same thing.

Now for the clincher - he parks at my building. I see him and decide to hold my tongue. What do you think? Should I have given him some helpful advice in a non-threatening way? Told him he was a complete idiot? Beaten him about the head and shoulders with a tire pump?
Old 07-25-06, 04:50 AM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he rides in broad daylight only and looks around at intersections, he's just a safe as you. Safety is not about ticking all the boxes and following al the rules, but watching traffic and using your head.

Enjoy the ride instead of spying others.
Old 07-25-06, 05:02 AM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Be happy about the fact you have a fellow commuter who travels to the same place about the same time. Certainly, you both can discuss things to help each other. Why don't you ask him how his commute has been? Has he had any unsafe encounters? Get a feel of his viewpoint on these matters. Maybe something did happen recently and he maybe open to some suggestions. Sometimes when we are riding our bicycles we are not able to determine our visibilty to others.
Old 07-25-06, 06:48 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just make sure you don't get hit by his spray of blood, it could carry disease!

Oh, I so disagree with "If he rides in broad daylight only and looks around at intersections, he's just a safe as you. Safety is not about ticking all the boxes and following all the rules, but watching traffic and using your head" on so many levels.

What if cars made up their own rules all the time? Unfortunately, many do, and the most vulnerable of us (peds and cyclists) pay with our lives.
Old 07-25-06, 06:52 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Safety Maxim which we use extensively in our company:

"The most common outcome of an unsafe behavior is... nothing at all".

Which means, most of the time, people who are reckless do OK... then, the 99th time, or the 999th time, all of their stupidity lines up with the stupidity of others, and random chance (weather, lighting conditions, etc) and they get hurt or killed.

Then people say, "Oh, what a terrible accident!" Accident? Nothing accidental about it. It was a conspiracy of incompetence and stupidity!
Old 07-25-06, 07:31 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kf5nd
Safety Maxim which we use extensively in our company:

"The most common outcome of an unsafe behavior is... nothing at all".

Which means, most of the time, people who are reckless do OK... then, the 99th time, or the 999th time, all of their stupidity lines up with the stupidity of others, and random chance (weather, lighting conditions, etc) and they get hurt or killed.

Then people say, "Oh, what a terrible accident!" Accident? Nothing accidental about it. It was a conspiracy of incompetence and stupidity!
+1
Not only is it unsafe for him to ride this way but it may endanger someone else. And it also breeds contempt among the motorist towards "those cyclists who never follow the rules". The difficult part is figuring out how to approach this cyclist in such a way as to educate him with out him feeling attacked.

Craig
Old 07-25-06, 08:44 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LóFarkas
If he rides in broad daylight only and looks around at intersections, he's just a safe as you. Safety is not about ticking all the boxes and following al the rules, but watching traffic and using your head.

++
Old 07-25-06, 09:15 AM
Flak
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he rides in daylight, then there is no need for lights or reflectors.

My light recently broke, so i bought some reflective tape as a substitute.

Couple that with the reflecto tape on my backpack and helmet....im plenty visable.
Old 07-25-06, 09:23 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
Get a feel of his viewpoint on these matters.
Not everyone bicycle commutes by choice. It could well be he has a resentment towards being forced out of his cage, which could explain the f*** it and you attitude.
Old 07-25-06, 09:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Safety is not about ticking all the boxes and following al the rules, but watching traffic and using your head.

Old 07-25-06, 10:12 AM
tg1896
Flaming Anarchist

Bikes: 2008 Bachetta Giro 26 1985 Trek 550 1994 Bianchi Alfana 2006 Cannondale T2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your response makes it clear that I did a poor job of providing enough detail. Let me add a few salient points.

1. It was 6:00 a.m. – pitch dark
2. The first red light that he ran came at the end of a slight downhill. He did not stop – he did not slow down – he actually sped up before going through the light.
3. The second red light that he ran was also at the end of a downhill. He crossed a four-lane road in metro Atlanta that has a 45 mph speed limit. There is also a blind curve to the left, making it impossible to see cars unless you stop or at least slow to a crawl. He once again sped up and ran the light.
Old 07-25-06, 10:22 AM
DanO220
SoCal Commuter

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck single/9 speed convertible, Novara Buzz beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can understand your reluctance to try and strike up a conversation - again - espcially when you know you're going to be offering constructive criticism on his commuting technique in short order. But if he parks at your building on a regular basis, why not leave a note on his bike? You should definitely compose it as if you're simply concerned for his safety. And perhaps leave it with a short, concise booklet on bicycle safety. (You can download that sort of thing.)

He'll most likely throw it away and ride off as usual. Then again, he might actually think about some of the chances he's taking. He might realize that it's OK to ride safely. You'd be surprised how many riders simply think that flaunting traffic laws is the cool, hipster thing to do. He might have had a few close calls already and maybe just needs a little positive encouragement. He might even ask you if you left that note next time you guys cross paths. I know... rose colored glasses, right?

Like I said; chances are he'll ignore it and continue to ride as if he's mad at the world. In that case, just thank God he's not driving a truck.

DanO
Old 07-25-06, 10:32 AM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ignorance is bliss. Or maybe this guy knows exactly what he is doing. My take is that he doesn't want to lose any precious momentum by stopping for the red lights, doesn't want to waste precious money on lights/reflectors and is probably not going to be commuting long term. As much as you want to help this guy out, he will more than likely just resent your helpful advice. If you do happen to strike up a conversation with him, maybe feel him out for opportunities to provide helpful advice. If you sense an attitude, then you're better off letting him learn it on his own. Let sleeping dogs lie...
Old 07-25-06, 10:49 AM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xB_Nutt
Ignorance is bliss. Or maybe this guy knows exactly what he is doing. My take is that he doesn't want to lose any precious momentum by stopping for the red lights, doesn't want to waste precious money on lights/reflectors and is probably not going to be commuting long term. As much as you want to help this guy out, he will more than likely just resent your helpful advice. If you do happen to strike up a conversation with him, maybe feel him out for opportunities to provide helpful advice. If you sense an attitude, then you're better off letting him learn it on his own. Let sleeping dogs lie...
1+. Based the chilly reception you've already received, I think you'll be wasting your time and effort. If you see him around, give a "hello" or ask about the ride. I wouldn't take it any further unless he does.
Old 07-25-06, 11:34 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Are you Dr. Phil? Advice should only be given to your own family, and those who ask for it? Like you did here.

Halfway through your speech the guy may give you his advice.
Old 07-25-06, 11:42 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by newbojeff
1+. Based the chilly reception you've already received, I think you'll be wasting your time and effort. If you see him around, give a "hello" or ask about the ride. I wouldn't take it any further unless he does.
Best answer of the thread. So what did you think of our advice?
Old 07-25-06, 12:50 PM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I caught up to him, I'd talk to him. Perhaps getting to know him on a level even slightly more personal than "just another doofus road user" for both of you would make it able to strike up some constructive dialogue.

Just remember, there's stuff you can learn from him, too.
Old 07-25-06, 01:27 PM
bradchu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I'm not the nicest person, but if I see someone driving a car, running red lights with both headlights out, speeding around and ignoring safety, my first reaction is not to have a conversation with him or leave a note on his windshield. I would just let the cops handle it, or give a short prayer that he doesn't get killed.

I guess this might be different for cycling advocates, but like someone else said, not everyone is interested in being a cycling advocate. Just as not everyone is interested in being the best motorist they can be.
Old 07-25-06, 01:39 PM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1896
Your response makes it clear that I did a poor job of providing enough detail. Let me add a few salient points.

1. It was 6:00 a.m. – pitch dark
2. The first red light that he ran came at the end of a slight downhill. He did not stop – he did not slow down – he actually sped up before going through the light.
3. The second red light that he ran was also at the end of a downhill. He crossed a four-lane road in metro Atlanta that has a 45 mph speed limit. There is also a blind curve to the left, making it impossible to see cars unless you stop or at least slow to a crawl. He once again sped up and ran the light.

Yeah, that adds a bit of perspective Riding into blind turns without lights in the dark fast is exactly the kind of idiocy that gets people killed sooner or later. Darwin at work, I guess.

I know I wouldn't approach him about his safety... If a conversation starts for any other reason; at the cafeteria in your building or whatever, drop a word or two about how a friend of yours got killed when he ran a red in the dark without a light
Old 07-25-06, 02:00 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Normally I would say be quiet and don't make waves. However, his reckless behavior may lead drivers to tend towards road rage towards other cyclists. I don't see any other approach than

1. one verbal warning to nut case
2. reporting to cops next time it happens explaining you are concerned about drivers acting aggressively towards you as they are mad at idiot.
Old 07-25-06, 02:13 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... but decide to just give him a wave and a hello. No response.
If the guy can't respond to a "hello", then anything else is pointless.
Old 07-25-06, 02:19 PM
GTcommuter
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you see him again, try to get to know him. If he's a regular rider then details of commuting will come up in conversation and eventually turn to safety. This isn't a case of spying on other riders, it's offering help and advice to a fellow rider. It will make him safer and the road safer for you.

He might not listen to you, but then again he might. Offer friendly advice if the chance arises and if he doesn't respond then its his life. I say this because I recently met a fellow who had been a carfree cyclist for three years and he couldn't figure out why he was getting brushed off the road by cars so often. Take the lane, I told him, and he's since become a more confident and safer rider. The fundamentals of riding in traffic are not immediately obvious to everyone.

Originally Posted by georgiaboy
Sometimes when we are riding our bicycles we are not able to determine our visibilty to others.
That's a great point. I've been riding for years and finally just recently put my bike in front of some car headlights to look at my visibility from a driver's point of view. I was amazed at how ineffective my reflectors and lights looked. Caused me to add several more. Again, this stuff doesn't come automatically it takes time to experience and learn.

[edit:] What part of the city is this in?
Old 07-25-06, 02:23 PM
Denny Koll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might try striking up a conversation and throwing in some backhanded compliments.

"Hey...nice to see another bike commuter. I wish I had as much nerve as you do."

"I love wearing black and I hate having to put a light on my bike but I'm too chicken to ride like that in the dark"

"And I'm just to scared to blow the traffic lights like that. Man you have a lot more guts than I do."
Old 07-25-06, 03:27 PM
Skyway6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes. i see this frequently. It adds to the drivers mentality that bikes dont belong on the road

the cagers wont remember the bikes that stop at every light and follow the road rules - they could come across 100 bikers that follow the rules. its this one person that rides like the above that will be remembered and will lump all bikers into his category instead of the rule follower biker.
Old 07-25-06, 03:28 PM
tg1896
Flaming Anarchist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent advice from all. I agree with the sentiment to strike up a conversation and see where it leads (if anywhere). I actually liked the Dr. Phil comment - that was pretty witty.

I really had two reasons for wanting to address this (both of which were picked up on). One - he could wind up as a greasy spot. Two - I regularly read letters to the editor from angry motorists threatening to wear "idiot bicyclists as hood ornaments because they think the traffic laws don't apply to them". IMHO - commuters like this make it more dangerous for the rest of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.