Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Versa Alfine Shifters (LHT build up)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-09, 11:24 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Bad news: My Surly Cross Check commuter was stolen. I'm mostly over being ****ed off. Now, I'm looking at next steps.

Good news: I'm probably going to build up a Long Haul Trucker frame with an internal geared hub on the rear. I'm looking at the Alfine 8 speed with a roller brake. I see a Versa STI brake lever, which would fit great on the drop bars, but I doubt it's worth the $200+ price. I'm also concerned that it won't do me much good when it's 5 degrees Fahrenheit and I'm wearing mittens.

Also, does anyone have experience with the Alfine 8 speeds?

Now that I've commuted on a modified Cross Check Complete, I know a little more of what I want. I want reliable, internal shifters. I might switch to a 3 speed, but I ride in nasty winter conditions, and sometimes I've needed the granny gear to keep moving. Plus, I would like to be able to pull a kid or two in a trailer on the weekends, so a decent gear ratio can be useful. I've found that external shifters get too much gunk in them and get finicky.

I also like the longer chain stay of the LHT. I get heel strike if my panniers aren't pushed to the back edge of the rack on the Cross Check. Plus, the third water bottle bottle braze-ons of the LHT mean I can use a spare bottle battery and still have a real water bottle.

What I will miss: My Brooks saddle and handlebar tape. That tape has lasted a couple years. I will miss it.
Old 08-22-09, 01:54 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Gunnar Fastlane may be a better frame to build up Alfine, it has some neat disk mounts.
Can you fit a roller brake to Shimano Centrelock splines?
Old 08-22-09, 03:32 PM
HogWild
High cholesterol

Bikes: Bikes: Trek 730, Panasonic Dx-1000, Giant Cypress, Specialized Crossroads (wife's)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with you on the internal gear hub - reliable and low maintenance, but plenty of range for where I ride. Keep in mind the LHT has vertical dropouts, so you may need a chain tensioner or eccentric bottom bracket.

c~
Old 08-22-09, 05:31 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The LBS says they can do the roller brake with this. I'm leaning toward that. I don't want disc brakes because they have less room for error as to adjustments. If the roller brake doesn't work, I plan to use cantilever brakes. The Gunnar looks great, but the frame is $900, the LHT is about $400.

Edit: The LBS did say they were doing a ball park estimate, but it looks like the Alfine is designed for disc brakes and does not have a compatible roller brake. I had not thought about roller brakes before, but they sound like a great idea for urban all-weather commuting. If needed, I might drop down to the Nexus to get a roller brake.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 08-22-09 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-22-09, 07:14 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear of the theft.

The roller brake only fits the Nexus hub, not the Alfine. The 8R36 Nexus hub is supposed to be the same as the Alfine internally. Per reports I have seen the roller brake does make wheel removal more complex.

As noted the vertical dropouts on the LHT frame will require use of a chain tensioner of some sort.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 08-23-09, 06:40 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
Sorry to hear of the theft.

The roller brake only fits the Nexus hub, not the Alfine. The 8R36 Nexus hub is supposed to be the same as the Alfine internally. Per reports I have seen the roller brake does make wheel removal more complex.

As noted the vertical dropouts on the LHT frame will require use of a chain tensioner of some sort.
Thanks. The difficulty in removing the wheel is one reason I want tough tires. I had the, Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I might upgrade to the Supreme.
Old 08-23-09, 09:38 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm currently running an Alfine 8 on my Cross Check using the J-tek bar end shifter, cane creek SR-5 levers with cantilever brakes. Switched over from the beloved single speed set up mid summer to get more top end speed. Didn't even have to change the chain length. So far so good.

The Jtek shifter is awesome, in fact it feels like it's better engineered and more precise than the hub. Works flawlessly. The hub is as good as I'd expected. The range is good, the shifts are smooth, it's quiet as hell. Dura ace performance it isn't, as every once in a while it misses or hiccups a bit. But all in all for what it is it's remarkably good. The extra weight is not an issue for me as a commuter, and on the Cross Check I don't have to run a chain tensioner which is a bonus. The additional steps involved with changing tires is easy. Of course I say that now, but this winter in the cold and dark with frozen fingers on the side of the road I might feel differently.

So far, I really like this set up a lot. It's doing just what I'd hoped. The final test will be this winter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll do pretty much what it does the rest of the year. If not I'll throw on the single speed wheels until warms up again.