Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rough ride today *explicit language warning*

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-10-17, 06:46 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts

First, I nearly got run over by a school bus (despite running a 400 lumen front strobe & high-vis clothing):

Then minutes later, I had this lovely encounter:

Definitely not one of my better rides. So, do you think I over-reacted with the school bus? I initially thought about slamming on the brakes, but was concerned the butt-end of the bus would get me anyways, so I took the ditch option. Luckily I didn't fall.
Old 02-10-17, 07:16 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The schoolbus thing was pretty awful. You should report the bus to the company, and hopefully the driver will be warned and/or fired. Good news is that if you were actually hit or injured by that bus, you could sue the bus company, unlike the Yahoos in the Honda Fit, who probably are 16 year olds who don't have two dimes to rub together...another day on the road, don't let it bug you too much.
Old 02-10-17, 07:21 PM
garysol1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I would be tracking down the driver of that bus and having a chat with them and the transportation superintendent.
Old 02-10-17, 07:40 PM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Happy you are OK.

Good to see you are running Cycliqs front and rear. You have solid evidence if you want to cause the bus driver pain. Car driver as well if you have a clear shot of the license plate.

Running Cycliq Fly 6 myself. I was taken down from behind which caused me to buy one.
Old 02-10-17, 07:49 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Agreed. Report that bus driver.
Old 02-10-17, 08:28 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed that the bus drivers usually display no respect on the road. They seem to feel entitled because they are driving a school bus. It makes me boil sometimes as the 3 foot law seems to not apply to them because they have children on board...
Old 02-10-17, 09:19 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't be happy with that pass. Report the driver.

You know, he's probably making the same turn on Monday, if that's his regular route.

For me I've had many more bad encounters with courier drivers (UPS and Fedex).
Old 02-10-17, 09:36 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
My language would've been worse. I'd send a copy to the school district and the outsourced company if separate company.
Old 02-10-17, 09:38 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
no i don't think you over reacted, you did good. Screw them.
Old 02-10-17, 11:51 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I have reported at least two bus drivers (without video evidence) for repeated stupid passes (into oncoming traffic and/or very little clearance). They get the hint as I never had an issue again after the phone call or email.
Old 02-11-17, 06:46 AM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
In all honesty, I think you should report the bus incident to CMS. They will take it serious as the next error made by the driver could really hurt someone or the children on the bus.
Old 02-11-17, 06:58 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Yeah, I've contacted CMS re: the bus driver but was told the supervisor would return my call. I'm not expecting to hear back until Monday.

I filed a police report on the hooligans. Officer went to the registered owner's address, and turn out it was their teenage son driving the vehicle and his friend who leaned out of the car. The officer informed the parents what their son did, to include describing the video evidence, and insinuated they could be held legally liable. Apparently, the parents were irate at their son, and the officer told me he thinks their son won't have driving privileges for quite a while.
Old 02-11-17, 07:01 AM
skycomag

Bikes: Nashbar trekking bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
send a copy to your local t.v. station to show it on air and see if they will investigate the driver. that should attract a lot of attention the bus company and transportation dept. wouldn't like.
Old 02-11-17, 07:18 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
Yeah, I've contacted CMS re: the bus driver but was told the supervisor would return my call. I'm not expecting to hear back until Monday.

I filed a police report on the hooligans. Officer went to the registered owner's address, and turn out it was their teenage son driving the vehicle and his friend who leaned out of the car. The officer informed the parents what their son did, to include describing the video evidence, and insinuated they could be held legally liable. Apparently, the parents were irate at their son, and the officer told me he thinks their son won't have driving privileges for quite a while.
See, told ya haha
Old 02-11-17, 07:58 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You were riding very courteously at the edge and drivers had plenty of room to pass. The school bus driver is a $14/hr 60 yr old who smokes and hates life. You could get her fired but another one would replace her.
Old 02-11-17, 08:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
The school bus driver is a $14/hr 60 yr old who smokes and hates life. You could get her fired but another one would replace her.
I suppose meaning that the candidate that was originally passed over for the bus driving job, they'll need to now reconsider hiring.
Old 02-11-17, 08:11 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,492 Times in 3,418 Posts
To me it looks like the bus just didn't see you. Negligence, yes, but not malice.
Old 02-11-17, 08:22 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
The school buses here are dangerous when I am in my truck. They usually are over the yellow line on back roads and going faster than the 30 MPH limit. When they come around me on a bike they never brake.

Getting yelled out happens more frequently than I would like. They usually come from little ones with parents driving. It always scares me because I am usually in my own little bike world.

You should report the driver. We've had several children die in accidents due to poor driving habits and cell phone use. You may be doing a greater service than saving bike riders.
Old 02-11-17, 08:48 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
To me it looks like the bus just didn't see you. Negligence, yes, but not malice.
Yes, negligence - but to be clear, the bus driver didn't look, and nearly killed someone as a result. The potential harm that could've arisen from this cannot be understated. Next time it could be a kid on a bicycle who doesn't have the ability to know how to evade a bus.
Old 02-11-17, 08:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I'm guessing the time that the bus driver looked to his right to gauge traffic, was the same time that passing white car was masking the OP from view.
Old 02-11-17, 09:15 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would report both of those. Even if the bus driver didn't see you, they're responsible for driving children and should be paying better attention than that, especially considering they waited for the car that just passed you (and gave you ample space by driving in the other lane). That said, in all of my experience, buses are the worst.

I'd also report the driver, especially if you can pick up the license plate. They could have caused a serious accident.

Old 02-11-17, 09:16 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm guessing the time that the bus driver looked to his right to gauge traffic, was the same time that passing white car was masking the OP from view.

No way. That white car was long gone before the bus started its turn into the OP. Plenty of time for bus driver to see the cyclist and wait before turning into main road.
Old 02-11-17, 09:20 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
School Bus: You saw the bus rolling and had enough time and distance to brake hard and turn right to avoid the bus. It's obvious there was going to be a squeeze. Riding like that will get you killed some day. See the squeeze before it happens and avoid it. A collision with a bike vs Car/Truck/Bus- you lose, regardless of whose fault it was. You're sticking your head into the lion's mouth and waiting to blame him when he bites you.

Wanksters: Nothing you could have done about that.
Old 02-11-17, 09:30 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I'm inclined to agree with BillyD I don't think the driver even bothered look at the Op's direction. He saw a break in traffic and went for it.

That being said I don't mean to blame the victim but the OP should have been able to foresee situations like that. We are taught at the motorcycle safety courses to scan for potential situations like that and assume that the ALL drivers don't see us. The Bus driver gave plenty of clues that he wasn't even looking in that direction and kept creeping up into the intersection just waiting for that break. He still in the wrong and the OP had all the rights of the road but being right isn't important if you are dead. Still a ****ty move by the driver and you were absolute correct in reporting.

Please keep us posted as to any developments as I'm sure most of us here would like to hear if anything comes out of it.

I'm glad you're ok and BTW I think you chose the right corrective manuver by going into the grass/ditch. If you locked up you could have gone down and even if you didn't you never know whats coming behind.

Stay safe!
Old 02-11-17, 09:37 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Did the kid in the SUV actually hit you or just yell or something as they passed? If actual contact was made I'd look into filing charges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.