Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Decent torch for learning to braze?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Decent torch for learning to braze?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 01:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
back in the '70s, I used to lease tanks for free, and they would help me load them in a borrowed VW Bug. Those were the days. I wonder if those tanks ever made it back to the company, I gave them to the bike shop I worked for. I find it amusing when one of those tanks is up for sale on CL, usually for $$. I don't think anyone buys them though.

My LWS makes me sign a waiver that I transported the tanks and it's not their responsibility. We are one big explosion away from that not being an option. Then we will all be using propane or finding a commercial space to rent. The guy that got tanks before me took his tanks and (literally) threw them in the back of his pickup loose. When he kills himself, that might be the end of improperly transporting tanks, who knows? I suppose I should have mentioned to him that those things can explode and he should wait for the gas to normalize before he uses them, but he probably wouldn't have listened anyway.

My 75 cu ft acetylene tank recently cost $50 to fill.
Old 04-20-18, 12:13 AM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount... someday

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad this thread is back up. I bought the highly recommended Uniweld 71 aircraft torch today instead of trying to make that mysterious old Harris work. I also bought a Gentec 881W mixer and TEN-0 tip. All for just 120 bucks.

I bought the TEN-0 size because I wanted to start by building racks for my bikes.

I chose to use a medical concentrator because I couldn't realistically keep a large oxygen tank in the garage. The largest size I'd be comfortable storing or transporting would be a 40 cu ft tank. My oxygen concentrator wasn't much more than a 40 cu ft tank, and I never have to get it refilled. It may be limited in what it can do, but I'm okay with that. The trade off is totally worth it for me.

I wasn't against using a small acetylene tank, but propane is cheaper and easier to refill.
Old 04-20-18, 07:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Kyle- After you get your rig set up I'd like to check it out and try brazing with it. I'll bring the metal and maybe beer for after. Andy
Old 04-21-18, 12:35 AM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Kyle- After you get your rig set up I'd like to check it out and try brazing with it. I'll bring the metal and maybe beer for after. Andy
Absolutely!
Old 04-21-18, 03:26 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well that was fast! I found my Uniweld torch in my mailbox this morning. The tips and mixers should be here Monday. Here are a couple pics..
IMG_1205.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg
Old 09-30-18, 03:23 PM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I came across this welding torch today at a car boot. It has never been used and cost peanuts so I bought it. Retail is over £100 and it is a good make.

The instructions say it will run on Acetylene, Propane or Hydrogen - I plan to use Propane. Nozzles are No 1 to 5. Threads are 1/4 inch.

Is it any use for frame building? Would I need something bigger for lugs?

Thanks

Mike

https://www.gas-uk.co.uk/model-o-set.html
Old 09-11-19, 03:08 PM
bobmarteal

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So Lovenutz, how is your set up work after a year and a half? Still sticking with the propane?