Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Di2 vs Trek Madone SLR 6

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 07:16 PM
LucasET

Bikes: '17 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, '14 Diamondback/Lapierre Aerostorm, '08 Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there! I've been away from forums for awhile... because life.
But, I'm considering the purchase of either a Canyon Aeroad or a Madone to replace a Cervelo S5 that was stolen about 2 years ago. I currently have a Domane SL6 Disc that's been great for living in downtown Chicago, but I miss the speed of an aero bike. The new S5 is simply too spendy by the time I'd click in.
Does anyone have a recommendation or story to tell about their experience with the 2019's?
I'm curious if anyone around 100Kg (or slightly over) has an aeroad, despite the seat tube having a supposed limit of 100Kg? The Madone has an 'all-in' limit of about 125Kg, so no worries there. However, the Madone is considerably heavier than the Aeroad, and I also admire the simplicity/purpose of the Canyon. I'd be sacrificing di2 with the Trek, but that's ok.
The stock of my size is dwindling, so I want to make a purchase asap.
Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-06-19, 11:24 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Bleh you won’t gain much with an aero bike
Likes For MyTi:
Old 08-06-19, 11:48 PM
LucasET

Bikes: '17 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, '14 Diamondback/Lapierre Aerostorm, '08 Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having already owned an S5, I can assure you, you're wrong. Over the same 40 mile ride, I would generally average 1.5-2mph faster than my older model Madone... just over 20mph on the S5, and about 18 on the Madone.
Old 08-07-19, 12:37 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Define much
Old 08-07-19, 01:20 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by LucasET
Having already owned an S5, I can assure you, you're wrong. Over the same 40 mile ride, I would generally average 1.5-2mph faster than my older model Madone... just over 20mph on the S5, and about 18 on the Madone.

A 2mph just from a bike swap? It's not the aero frame that is some how magically giving you a 2mph advantage. It's probably putting your body into a more aero position. Are you using the same wheels on the Madone? More aero wheels...more aero body position is where a big speed gain can from. A more aero frame...that's like hardly any gain at all...and probably no gain at all outside of a wind tunnel scenario.
Likes For MyTi:
Old 08-07-19, 01:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Old 08-07-19, 02:12 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by bruce19
0.2mph faster on the aero bike according to that vid.

which is probably due to the aero wheels. Put the aero wheels on the lightweight bike and they perform the same
Old 08-07-19, 10:31 AM
RoadManFive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your position on the two bikes probably isn't the same - e.g., the seat/bar height differential or something similar. If you could dial in exactly the same position on both bikes, the average speed differential wouldn't be much at all.
Old 08-07-19, 10:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
0.2mph faster on the aero bike according to that vid.

which is probably due to the aero wheels. Put the aero wheels on the lightweight bike and they perform the same
Aero wheels are such a crock. Don't let them fool you. All these lemmings who race might think physics is real, but you and I know better than that.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-07-19, 12:48 PM
LucasET

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, before my thread gets highjacked by a couple people who think they know what the hell they're talking about, but clearly don't own either of the bikes I've mentioned, could we please steer back towards the original post? I don't particularly care about someone else's opinion of aero vs light weight, unless it has to do with the new Madone or Aeroad.
Obviously the geometry, wheels, gearing, and yes, aerodynamics are different. That's the whole point.
Old 08-07-19, 01:08 PM
RoadManFive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, before my thread gets highjacked by a couple people who think they know what the hell they're talking about, but clearly don't own either of the bikes I've mentioned, could we please steer back towards the original post? I don't particularly care about someone else's opinion of aero vs light weight, unless it has to do with the new Madone or Aeroad.
Obviously the geometry, wheels, gearing, and yes, aerodynamics are different. That's the whole point.
The so-called hijackers think that you have missed the point and that you can get nearly the same speed with any of these bikes if they are fit so you are in the same position. So if you don't believe us, just buy the bike you like best and hammer away.
Old 08-07-19, 01:33 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadManFive
The so-called hijackers think that you have missed the point and that you can get nearly the same speed with any of these bikes if they are fit so you are in the same position. So if you don't believe us, just buy the bike you like best and hammer away.
No, you missed the point. Read the original post again. Are you over 100kg and and have you had any issues with the weight limit on the seat tube? I understand that you want to argue about the benefits of aero, but that was obviously not the question. Only six posts and already so much attitude.
Likes For GailT:
Old 08-07-19, 01:34 PM
LucasET

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would I expect to have the same riding position on a 'touring' bike vs one set up for racing? Other than seat height, I would want nothing to be the same.
Old 08-07-19, 01:34 PM
LucasET

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GailT
No, you missed the point. Read the original post again. Are you over 100kg and and have you had any issues with the weight limit on the seat tube? I understand that you want to argue about the benefits of aero, but that was obviously not the question. Only six posts and already so much attitude.
Thank you!
Old 08-07-19, 01:54 PM
OhioJTrek

Bikes: 2019 Domane SL 5

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Nothing to add besides.. I currently have a 2019 Domane.. and I'm already thinking about Aeroroad vs Madone for my next bike..
Likes For OhioJTrek:
Old 08-08-19, 02:15 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Does Canyon have a return policy? You will know right away if that frame will have an issue with your weight when you ride it. Years ago, friend of mine (6 ft 5 inch cat 1 match sprinter) had an ultra light to titanium frame given to him. He built it up and took it out for a ride. The first time he tried to sprint on it, he nearly crashed the bike was so flexible. The frame when being pushed to their physical limits will flex all over the place.
Old 08-08-19, 04:36 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
A local racer here is just over 100kg and has an aeroad, he’s had no issues with the seatpost afaik.
Old 08-08-19, 04:40 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by GailT
Only six posts and already so much attitude.
Six posts by that newest user name....
Old 08-08-19, 05:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Only linking as maybe another option, because it's a pretty decent sale price, in your price range, but not sure it's your size.

Orbea Orca Aero
Old 08-08-19, 08:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Again, keep your trolling to your own threads - impressionable folks that don't know any better might think that you know something.
Old 08-08-19, 09:52 AM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
I’ve got an Aeroad SL 8.0, but I’m lighter than 100kg. My thoughts would be to follow the manufacturers recommendations on weight limits. A possibility for the limit may be the top tube “cam wedge” seat post clamp the Aeroad uses.
Old 08-08-19, 10:37 AM
LucasET

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with the Madone. I didn't get any response from Canyon with a few questions I had, and I've read that their customer service is lacking. The lbs I ordered through has some great promos for accessories (and a fitting), so it essentially will come to the same price as the Canyon.

As it is, the only changes I might make are to get some Boyd Cycling wheels (55mm) and possibly change to a 52-36 front (more for cadence than having taller gears).
Cheers!

Last edited by LucasET; 08-08-19 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 10:44 AM
LucasET

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mantis
I’ve got an Aeroad SL 8.0, but I’m lighter than 100kg. My thoughts would be to follow the manufacturers recommendations on weight limits. A possibility for the limit may be the top tube “cam wedge” seat post clamp the Aeroad uses.
That was definitely part of my thinking... my S5 had the same wedge, and it only stayed put after I wiped away nearly all the assembly gel. I might also have been a bit lighter then.
Old 08-08-19, 10:51 AM
LucasET

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Only linking as maybe another option, because it's a pretty decent sale price, in your price range, but not sure it's your size.

Orbea Orca Aero
I considered the Orbea as well as a Ridley Noah Aero+. That IS a great price!
In the end, the transaction with Trek (not mention the bike is awesome) is just smoother and feels like it'll be an overall better experience.
Old 08-08-19, 10:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I went with the Madone. I didn't get any response from Canyon with a few questions I had, and I've read that their customer service is lacking. The lbs I ordered through has some great promos for accessories (and a fitting), so it essentially will come to the same price as the Canyon.
Cheers!

Sorry to hear about your S5. I hope the thief got a lot of money, spent it on drugs, and overdosed.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.