Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Should I Sell My Gunnar Crosshairs?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-19, 10:03 PM
JBaldauff

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5, Gunnar Crosshairs, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Trek 720, Dahon Speed D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Hey All, I’ve come under the spell of “needing” disc brakes and maybe a new bike. Currently have a Gunnar Crosshairs that’s pretty dialed in. Should I sell it? I’m looking at canyon grail al, ribble cgr, caadx, and other similar bikes. In a lot of way I’d be downgrading (wheels, etc). Here is the Gunnar’s Specs:
  • Frame: Gunnar CrossHairs, Platinum and Reynolds 853 steel. 58cm
  • Fork: ENVE Carbon
  • Headset: Chris King
  • Stem: Thomson Elite X4, 130mm
  • Handlebar: Bontrager
  • Bar Tape: Brooks
  • Brakes: Paul Components MiniMoto (front) and Cantilever (rear)
  • Brake / Shift Levers: Sram Force10-speed mechanical.
  • Front Derailleur: Sram Force 22
  • Rear Derailleur: Sram Force 10-speed
  • Cassette: Sram 10-speed 11-28
  • Chain: Shimano Ultegra 10-speed
  • Crankset: InfoCrank Power Meter, 172.5
  • Bottom Bracket: Praxis
  • Wheelset: a set of White Industries laced to velocity and a set of Stan's NoTubes Alpha 400
  • Tires: Schwalbe G-One All Around 700x38
  • Saddle: Brooks Swift
  • Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece setback.
  • Bottle Cages: Elite Inox

Gah. What should I do? Sell or keep? I’m fully aware much of this is a matter of preference. I’ll take any and all thoughts
Old 08-13-19, 10:26 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I have a crosshairs with Paul NeoRetro brakes on the front, touring cantilever on the back. Quite aggressive stopping power, for me. Downhill on a 20% grade at 40mph, hit the brakes, slow down rapidly.
Old 08-13-19, 11:03 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Hope you don't want that green Grail AL. They really strung me along and they're gone now. There are a few silver ones left.
Old 08-14-19, 05:36 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
I'd consider just selling the frameset and look around for a disk frameset you like the geo and weight of (including secondhand) with the same dropouts/hub width.
Keep everything else and get some new Juin Tech/Yokozuna GT 4-pot mech calipers and compressionless housing.
Old 08-14-19, 08:24 AM
JBaldauff

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5, Gunnar Crosshairs, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Trek 720, Dahon Speed D7

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Yes.
Yes as in, “you don’t like Paul brakes and I should get rid of it?” Or “Yes to Paul brakes?”

i have been a fan of the Paul’s compared to regular cantis but still lose power in wet and icy weather.
Old 08-14-19, 08:29 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I absolutely love the 105 hyd discs on my Revolt, wet, dry, onroad, offroad, I'm sold. When you're stopping/slowing over 200lbs, they make a big difference, imo (prob around 215 when loaded up, gravel bike + rider). I still love my rim brake road bike, but when it's time for a new road bike, it will definitely have hyd discs.
Old 08-14-19, 08:36 AM
JBaldauff

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
I'd consider just selling the frameset and look around for a disk frameset you like the geo and weight of (including secondhand) with the same dropouts/hub width.
Keep everything else and get some new Juin Tech/Yokozuna GT 4-pot mech calipers and compressionless housing.
I have thought about it. Would have to swap wheelset, maybe post, who knows what else. Not sure I want to get into that.
Old 08-14-19, 08:47 AM
JBaldauff

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
I have a crosshairs with Paul NeoRetro brakes on the front, touring cantilever on the back. Quite aggressive stopping power, for me. Downhill on a 20% grade at 40mph, hit the brakes, slow down rapidly.
My issues arise when it’s very wet and especially when it’s wet+cold.
Old 08-14-19, 08:55 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by JBaldauff
In a lot of way I’d be downgrading (wheels, etc)...
  • Frame: Gunnar CrossHairs, Platinum and Reynolds 853 steel. 58cm

Gah. What should I do? Sell or keep? I’m fully aware much of this is a matter of preference. I’ll take any and all thoughts
IMO, any of the bikes you mention would be a MAJOR step down in the frame dept. But keep in mind I've been riding steel bikes for 40+ years, including TWO Gunnars. Wish I still had at least one of 'em!

SP
Nwpt, OR
Old 08-14-19, 09:04 AM
JBaldauff

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
IMO, any of the bikes you mention would be a MAJOR step down in the frame dept. But keep in mind I've been riding steel bikes for 40+ years, including TWO Gunnars. Wish I still had at least one of 'em!

SP
Nwpt, OR
SP,

I completely agree. That's my big hang up. I am a fan of US-made frames and the Gunnar has a utilitarian elegance to it. I have been leaning towards a repaint and really getting the brakes dialed in, as that is the major issue for me.
Old 08-14-19, 09:09 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
SP,

I completely agree. That's my big hang up. I am a fan of US-made frames and the Gunnar has a utilitarian elegance to it. I have been leaning towards a repaint and really getting the brakes dialed in, as that is the major issue for me.
I don't know for sure, but since it's steel, wouldn't you be able to have someone retrofit it for disc brakes? Maybe a new fork, but should be able to weld a disc brake mount for the rear, no?
Old 08-14-19, 09:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
SP,

Buy a gunnar xx frame then. Get whatever style disc brakes you want since they offer all options.
Transfer what you can from your current bike, get a new wheelset, and enjoy.
Old 08-14-19, 11:52 AM
rando_couche

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Buy a gunnar xx frame then. Get whatever style disc brakes you want since they offer all options.
Transfer what you can from your current bike, get a new wheelset, and enjoy.
There's also the Milwaukee Bicycles Mettle: https://www.benscycle.com/milwaukee-..._20834/product.

Also made by Waterford with the same geo as the Crosshairs plus flat mount discs. At $1250 for frame, carbon fork and headset it's hard to beat. If I wouldn't get in major trouble for it, I'd already have one!

SP
Nwpt, OR
Old 08-14-19, 12:04 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
That is one sweet Gunnar setup. If you sell it, expect quite a sting - people expect heavy discounts in the used bike market. I was in a similar boat as you, I had a meticulously maintained and upgraded bike, and after a couple of close calls this year where I couldn't grab enough brake while on the hoods, and having experienced mech discs on my winter commuter, I decided to get a new bike and sell the old one. Took over a month to sell and I gave it away for quite a bit less than I was hoping. I might have been able to part it out but I valued my time more. Now I'm on a new ride with 105 hydros and there is just no comparison, braking-wise.
Old 08-14-19, 12:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

There's also the Milwaukee Bicycles Mettle: https://www.benscycle.com/milwaukee-..._20834/product.

Also made by Waterford with the same geo as the Crosshairs plus flat mount discs. At $1250 for frame, carbon fork and headset it's hard to beat. If I wouldn't get in major trouble for it, I'd already have one!

SP
Nwpt, OR
Heck of a deal for sure, considering fork is included. A HyperX is $1350 PLUS fork($500-600 depending).

The frame geometry per the link, is different from Gunnar Crosshairs and Gunnar HyperX frames though, for what its worth.
Old 08-14-19, 01:59 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
have you tired to ask gunner to retrofit a ISO disk mount on your current frame? might be possible, then you just need a new fork
Old 08-14-19, 02:14 PM
rando_couche

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The frame geometry per the link, is different from Gunnar Crosshairs and Gunnar HyperX frames though, for what its worth.
Oh. I was just looking at my size (62cm give or take) and it was the same as my old Crosshairs.

SP
Nwpt, OR
Old 08-14-19, 06:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Oh. I was just looking at my size (62cm give or take) and it was the same as my old Crosshairs.

SP
Nwpt, OR
I compared the largest Milwaukee to the same size in Gunnar. New geometry must be in play for Gunnar.
Regardless, it's mostly minor differences. A few mm of stack or reach, a half degree different head tube, etc.
I actually think its neat that the Milwaukee isn't just a straight rebadged Gunnar.
Old 08-14-19, 07:39 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
And I assume you've tried Kool Stop Salmon compound pads
Oh, one other thought - what about just front disk, then all you have to swap out is a fork? 70% of stopping power is up front
Old 08-15-19, 07:34 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
And I assume you've tried Kool Stop Salmon compound pads
Oh, one other thought - what about just front disk, then all you have to swap out is a fork? 70% of stopping power is up front

True, but in cold, wet - you really need to be able to modulate front and rear appropriately, or you'll lock up the front and go down. I've thought about doing that, but it would really only work in good dry conditions. Rim and disks react differently to cold/wet and good modulation and ballance front/rear would be darn near impossible.
Likes For chas58:
Old 08-15-19, 01:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
A few posters have suggested retrofitting disc brake mounts to the bike; that is not possible. Gunnar (which is Waterford, really) will tell you, correctly, to just get a new frame and fork.

At least one poster suggested that you use Kool-Stop brake pads; I believe Paul Components brakes ship with those as original equipment. If not, try 'em, as they are a cheap upgrade.

OP, you have some fantastic components on that bike, and you describe it as "dialed in" -- both of which support keeping the bike. On the other hand, your sig places your location as Canton, and I have raced gravel around there -- will be in Magnolia on Saturday for a race, in fact -- and there are enough steep descents to make disc brakes pretty handy. You're the only one who can decide whether a new bike is worth it just to get better braking power.

This probably won't help you resist buying a new bike:

Old 08-15-19, 08:51 PM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I skimmed the thread so I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, and the money outlay would be substantial, but if you love that frame and bike you could always get a disc fork and front wheel. I have a friend who did this with his fixed gear. Disc on the front and caliper on the back for him. In your case you'd need a new fork, wheel, single hydro disc caliper and lever. So it wouldn't be cheap, but you wouldn't have to give up this gorgeous frame.
Old 08-19-19, 02:10 PM
JBaldauff

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Koyote,

Why would you show me that bike? Cruel!

I am now in the Chicago area and most of my brake complaints are when its cold and wet and I am commuting in the city. I have listed the bike on ebay at a price I'd be OK letting it go for and no hits yet. We will see. I might repost it a few times and if it doesn't sell keep it. Cheers.
Likes For JBaldauff:
Old 08-23-19, 03:36 PM
KeatonR

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Disc brakes are *so* much better.

I was in a similar situation to you and had a Lemond Poprad from 2005, Platinum OX frame. Loved the bike, didn't love the braking, especially during a couple of descents that still stand out in my mind.

Anyway, I now have a Gunnar Hyper XF and can say without hesitation that it is my most favoritist bike I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few.

Old 08-25-19, 05:28 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I don't know for sure, but since it's steel, wouldn't you be able to have someone retrofit it for disc brakes? Maybe a new fork, but should be able to weld a disc brake mount for the rear, no?
Waterford says it isn’t safe on their site. The rim brake frames were not designed for disc brakes. It involves more than welding. The fork and stays are different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.