Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Weird SRAM front derailler problem

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-11-19, 02:28 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

Started this thread in the mechanics forum but not many answers there. Will post here for more eyes to see...

I have the Apex 2x10 components and the front derailler is giving me issues. It shift okay, not the best, going from the small to large ring while on the repair stand but once I take it out on the road it fails to shift to the big ring. All adjustments looks and works fine, components don't seem to be worn or anything. I also have a new chain. I was wondering if maybe the chain ring, derailler or shifter is going bad but cannot pinpoint the problem.

Anyone here experienced this issue before? I know SRAM FD have been know to be iffy but I need a place to look before I start replacing parts. TIA...
Old 09-11-19, 05:27 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I have SRAM Red and have had a similar issue. With mine it was the angle of the derailleur. It took someone who also rides and knows SRAM to fix it. Drove me crazy because it didn't consistently misbehave.
Old 09-11-19, 05:33 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Look down at it from above when it's on the big ring and it should be exactly parallel to the big ring. If it isn't then put it into the small ring again and adjust the position at the frame clamp.

Can you increase the tension by turning the cable barrel adjuster counter-clockwise a few clicks? If not you might need to put it into the small ring and then take up some cable slack. Mark the cable at the adjustment bolt with a sharpie pen and pull out the cable another half millimeter. On the small ring the cable should be taut but not under tension.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 09-11-19 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-11-19, 05:36 PM
RockiesDad

Originally Posted by bruce19
I have SRAM Red and have had a similar issue. With mine it was the angle of the derailleur. It took someone who also rides and knows SRAM to fix it. Drove me crazy because it didn't consistently misbehave.
Ooooh, a hint... Can you define "angle of the derailleur"? Can it bent back into shape or something? Maybe best to get a new FD??? Yeah, mine is inconsistent also but fails most of the time. Will look closely and see if its bent or something... Thanks
Old 09-12-19, 06:55 AM
Jean_TX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You might have the cable tension too high. To test this, with the chain on the big ring push the shift lever a little bit (ie, first click), does the front derailleur move a little bit inward yet still remain on the big ring? If not, the tension is too high.
Old 09-12-19, 07:24 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Just general setup advice.
1. set outer plate parallel with outer chainring via mounting bolts.
2. set clearance between top of teeth on large ring to cage at 1-3 mm.
3. set limit screw so that you can go a little past the big ring's index.
Old 09-12-19, 07:37 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Ooooh, a hint... Can you define "angle of the derailleur"? Can it bent back into shape or something? Maybe best to get a new FD??? Yeah, mine is inconsistent also but fails most of the time. Will look closely and see if its bent or something... Thanks
This is how I understand it. The FD needs to be parallel to the frame. It's probably not bent but I'd have someone who knows check it out.
Old 09-12-19, 08:28 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I'm betting you have the derailler cable running the wrong way. I had the exact same issue you describe on an apex front derailler. I had never had SRAM before so ended up taking it to the shop because i couldn't figure out the problem - they disconnected the cable, moved it so it routed up over the anchor bolt from the other side, and it worked fine.
Old 09-12-19, 09:53 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Maybe a silly question, but you are easing up on the pedals (still spinning, but less tension on the chain) when shifting the front?
Old 09-12-19, 11:08 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

There's a little groove in the cable clamp area. In order to index properly the cable has to be in the groove. If the cable is 'off,' then it might not shift far enough to move the chain to the big ring while under slight load. Just a guess.
Old 09-12-19, 07:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
This is why SRAM has said the "front derailleur is dead" not because it is dead and 1x is the best thing ever for everyone but because they are terrible at making a good front derailleur.

Many of the posts already provided great advice. Checking the alignment of the derailleur would be the first place but also checking limits and tension but I know with a lot of modern derailleurs they are oddly routed cable wise and that can cause problems, Shimano has done that recently with some of their stuff.
Old 09-16-19, 09:01 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I was having much the same issue with my Rival FD. Using Force 2x10 brifters and Red crankset. I can say I think I finally got it working OK, enough that it doesn't drop the chain or overshift. But it certainly doesn't like to shift under load. I fussed with it for weeks. Preferring to take my other bike for rides instead...
Old 09-16-19, 11:09 AM
RockiesDad

Originally Posted by zjrog
I was having much the same issue with my Rival FD. Using Force 2x10 brifters and Red crankset. I can say I think I finally got it working OK, enough that it doesn't drop the chain or overshift. But it certainly doesn't like to shift under load. I fussed with it for weeks. Preferring to take my other bike for rides instead...
I feel better that I am not the only one with this issue...

I finally think I found the right combination to deal with this problem. I'm not a 100% satisfied but at least I got it to work okay like mentioned above. It seems that the shift happens in a very narrow window under the right circumstances. Steps used were as follows: back out the high limit screw a bit 2) tighten the tension of the cable 3) slightly squeezed the inner and outer plates surrounding the chain about 1mm or so (not advised but I did it anyway so that the chain doesn't drop off the crank) 3) readjusted the limit screw 4) stop pedaling, shift to big ring, then start to pedal slowly till in gear.

The last step seems to be the key for whatever reason. It shouldn't be this way but that's the way it is. I'm not racing or anything so it doesn't matter too much but it sure is annoying. I'm already planning to maybe switch over to the Shimano camp soon but in the meantime will deal with what I have for now. The more irritated I get the faster I will switch...
Old 09-17-19, 06:31 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
This is why SRAM has said the "front derailleur is dead" not because it is dead and 1x is the best thing ever for everyone but because they are terrible at making a good front derailleur.
That's not been my experience. I really like my SRAM Force groupset. The 'Yaw' on the front derailleur works really well meaning I can run every ratio without the chain rubbing on the derailleur. I don't think I'd want 1x on a road bike, though I can see how it makes sense on a mountain bike.

Just a note re: angle of derailleur - the Red has Yaw and the Apex doesn't, which makes the setup different. Setting up Red and Force derailleurs is different to the traditional way where you just set the cage parallel to the chainset.
Old 09-17-19, 12:36 PM
BlazingPedals

Originally Posted by RockiesDad
... 4) stop pedaling, shift to big ring, then start to pedal slowly till in gear.

The last step seems to be the key for whatever reason. It shouldn't be this way but that's the way it is. I'm not racing or anything so it doesn't matter too much but it sure is annoying. I'm already planning to maybe switch over to the Shimano camp soon but in the meantime will deal with what I have for now. The more irritated I get the faster I will switch...
There's no reason or rationalization I can think of that would require you to stop pedaling; but it's a known 'problem' with all front derailleurs that they have varying levels of working terrible when the chain is under load. Also, and I don't know if it's been mentioned here; but derailleurs have 'shift ramps' too. The ones that will work best for you are the ones designed specifically for your chainring combinations. I have a D/A triple FD that absolutely cannot shift a 30/39/53 but works fine for a 30/40/52.