Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

1Up/tray style racks and bikes with racks/fenders

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-27-19, 01:13 PM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

Hey all,

I recently got a 1 Up bike rack and while it's quite great, particularly with my mountain bike, but I didn't realize what a PITA it would be with my road bikes. My main road bike has a rear rack which interferes with the part of the hitch rack that folds and grabs the tire. To get around this i generally just take the rack off, but that's getting old. Also, my wife's bike has aluminum fender's so that won't work at all. I have to stuff her's in the back of the car.

I should have seen this coming, but any advice for dealing with these two situations? I've seen the foam roller covers that is suppose to help protect fenders, but i don't think they'll work with aluminum fenders.
Old 10-02-19, 04:42 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
This year I bought the Kuat trailer hitch/tray rack. Since the grab arm goes on the front wheel, rear racks don't interfere at all.

We don't have fenders on any of our bikes, but I did pick up some touring cyclists who stayed with us for a few days. They were riding e-bikes with fenders and front pannier low rider mounts, etc. I put foam over the front fenders, all went fine - but I think those were plastic fenders.

Kuat says use foam and just don't try to push the clamp down too tightly - they say light pressure on the front is good enough to hold the bike securely. For short trip local rides, I tend to believe them - you really don't need to get that arm really tight for it to feel pretty secure.. For long distance, vacation type trips I'd probably play it safe and take the fender off.

This rack replaced my old, cheap trailer hitch mount hanging rack - that was going to be my backup but I'm not sure those e-bikes would have fit on it.
Old 10-02-19, 06:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by TXBDan
Hey all,

I recently got a 1 Up bike rack and while it's quite great, particularly with my mountain bike, but I didn't realize what a PITA it would be with my road bikes. My main road bike has a rear rack which interferes with the part of the hitch rack that folds and grabs the tire. To get around this i generally just take the rack off, but that's getting old. Also, my wife's bike has aluminum fender's so that won't work at all. I have to stuff her's in the back of the car.

I should have seen this coming, but any advice for dealing with these two situations? I've seen the foam roller covers that is suppose to help protect fenders, but i don't think they'll work with aluminum fenders.
Could you not just lower the part that contacts the tire so your not trying to grab the rear tire at the top. Instead grab the rear tire at the 2-3 o-clock position or something like that.

Why wouldn't the adapters work with aluminum fenders? I would think it would be more ideal since there would be less flex.
Old 10-07-19, 07:08 AM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Could you not just lower the part that contacts the tire so your not trying to grab the rear tire at the top. Instead grab the rear tire at the 2-3 o-clock position or something like that.

Why wouldn't the adapters work with aluminum fenders? I would think it would be more ideal since there would be less flex.
Actually, moving the bar that contacts the tire down a notch on the rear did the trick for rear rack clearance. Works great that way. I haven't tried that lower position on my mountain bike yet, but if it'll work for both win. If not, it just takes a wrench on one nut to move it back and forth i guess.

My wife's fenders are thin aluminum (veloorange ones) and are easily bent and wouldn't bounce back like plastic would. We just throw her bike in the hatch which is ok for the time being i guess. The prob with putting the bike i the hatch though is that we can't leave the front fender on because the handlebars need to turn 90deg withe the front wheel off. So for now she has only the rear fender. blarg.
Old 10-07-19, 07:15 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Actually, moving the bar that contacts the tire down a notch on the rear did the trick for rear rack clearance. Works great that way. I haven't tried that lower position on my mountain bike yet, but if it'll work for both win. If not, it just takes a wrench on one nut to move it back and forth i guess.

My wife's fenders are thin aluminum (veloorange ones) and are easily bent and wouldn't bounce back like plastic would. We just throw her bike in the hatch which is ok for the time being i guess. The prob with putting the bike i the hatch though is that we can't leave the front fender on because the handlebars need to turn 90deg withe the front wheel off. So for now she has only the rear fender. blarg.
Good to hear...

Is it possible to put something between the tire and your wife's fender so the foam thingy doesn't deform it? Maybe a piece of heavy duty foam cut to fit or something like that? I'm not sure how much clearance there is because no pics.
Old 02-16-22, 09:57 AM
BigGuy67
1up Canada

Bikes: Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same issue

Hi everyone,

I received my super duty 1up bike rack last week. Considering that the winter is still here in my part of the country (wich is fantastic for cycling...by the way!). I didn't have the chance to try the rack already.

I realised that I will have the same issue with my wife's bike (it has fenders). You all have great solutions, anyone can share a few photos to help me figure out how I will fit the bike (with a aluminum fender and rack)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-16-22, 10:27 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-stop/

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/fender-cushion/
Old 02-16-22, 11:39 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
BigGuy67 The WheelStop accessory mentioned above is a good solution provided the bike's wheelbase is 46" or less.

How far down does the rear fender come? With my wife's ebike moving the "spool" down a notch or two allows engaging it against the rear tire just below the fender, and the front fender doesn't get in the way of normal usage. We added two velcro cinch straps for the wheels and her ebike is snug on the rack.

(btw - resurrecting an old thread can lead to people not seeing the date and spending time answering the two+ year old original question before seeing yours.)
Old 02-16-22, 05:13 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Hey all,

I had that situation when I bought the one I have right now - it holds the bike with a clamp that goes down on the top tube. For a bike without fenders or racks, the kind that clamps on the tires is better, but this one works OK. There is a need to protect the paint on the top tube with extra padding or frame protector material.
Old 02-16-22, 08:48 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Hey all,

I have used a Thule rack with the trays and arms for years. Both bike we use the rack for have full fenders. We have had no issues. I have been using a wedge of wood between the fender and tire to prevent damage, but lately have used nothing. In reality, the arm simply keeps the bike from falling over, so it doesn't need a lot of downward force for it to work properly. The straps on the wheels keep the bike down in the trays.
I have had the rack since 2012 and it has seen a lot of use, including four trips of 900 miles one way, and some about 760 miles one way.
Old 02-16-22, 08:53 PM
BigGuy67
1up Canada

Bikes: Hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to you all!