Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Super Randonnee?

Old 09-29-19, 04:07 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Super Randonnee?

So my local Audax club have announced an overview of their 2020 plans, and they are adding some new and interesting events including a Fleche, a Super Randonnee, and an LRM1200.

What I find interesting about the Super Randonnee is that there is somewhat of an overlap with the High Rouleurs Society, so the first thing that came to mind is whether it is possible to complete both in one ride (assuming I meet the rules/conditions of both). I did a quick search on Google and didn't find anything about anyone attempting both in a single ride. I'll probably fail miserably, but just curious to know!

But anyways, that thing aside, anyone complete a Super Randonnee before? Would love to hear your experiences, and any advice on attempting the 60 hour Randonneur version.
Old 09-29-19, 07:04 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I've the idea to do one of these next year, there are a few that are within a day's drive of me. Right now the Catskills SR600 is the closest and it has a lot of options for overnights. My plan is to use most of the time limit and get two solid sleeps during the nights. I think the change allowing 60h really makes these rides more enjoyable. With the right start time it should be possible to do most of the riding with some daylight.

I had a plan to try an Everest once but it was repeats up a 1000m climb, and to get to 10000m was only 9.5 climbs up the mountain and it ended up being about 250km when I mapped it out. I think a ride like that would be an easier way to get into the high rouleurs society than trying to spread it over 600km... I know for me the desire to sleep after 400km becomes pretty strong.
Old 09-29-19, 07:25 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Haven't been able to map out a 600km course with that much up and down.
Old 09-29-19, 08:01 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
The most I have done is 21,347 according to RWGPS. GPS on the actual ride was closer to 26.5k, so close, but not enough climbing to qualify. I finished that one in 37h25m, and it was my hardest ride ever with constant up-and-down short, steep hills. Seems like something with big long steady climbs would be the way to do it, and the 60 hour time limit is very generous.
Old 09-29-19, 08:17 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I think I would also fare better on a long, steady climb than on constant rollers. Rollers are just plain demoralizing!