Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Apollo Gradient clunky and missed gear changes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 04:32 AM
woody316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

About four months ago I decided to get back into riding. I bought an Apollo Gradient mountain bike. I know this is quite a cheap/basic bike but didn't want to spend a lot if I didn't stick with it. I have stuck with it and will eventually upgrade to something better but can't afford to right now.

Now onto the problem, the gear changes have never been particularly smooth but over the last month they have got worse. The gear changes themselves, while clunky, aren't a particular issue though any help with this would be greatly appreciated. What is more of an issue is that it sometimes misses a gear especially 3rd and 6th gears (so when I change from 2nd it will go straight to 4th or from 5th straight to 7th). This is more of an issue as you will think you are in the right gear and then it will snap back into the correct gear later on. This is a particular issue when cycling up hill as it throws my feet off the pedals. I've got massive bruises on both knees from where they have hit the handlebars at these times. This happens when riding on relatively smooth roads so isn't even anything to do with the type of terrain that I am riding on.

I have taken the bike to a shop to be serviced and they seemed to think it was ok but it is still happening. So with that information and the fact that I can't afford to upgrade my bike straight away what can I do to try and solve this issue with gear changes being clunky and gears being missed (or being missed then snapping back into them as I am riding)?
Old 10-01-19, 06:47 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Since the shifting has changed, check your cables for any fraying and correct if needed. Also check that the housing ends are cut square and do not have any protruding wire strands.
You likely bought it at Halford's or similar so the prep could have been less than ideal. Perhaps your shifting just needs a slight adjustment that you can easily do yourself:
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment
Start at the beginning and do not skip any steps as each depends upon the previous ones being correct. Make gradual adjustments, 1/8 to 1/4 turn is not too small. You should not need large changes anyway, since it sort of works now, so don't go overboard.
Old 10-01-19, 12:01 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Play with any little knobs mounted on the cable(s) randomly while riding along. Shifting will eventually improve, if that's even possible.
Old 10-02-19, 03:18 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by woody316
Hi

About four months ago I decided to get back into riding. I bought an Apollo Gradient mountain bike. I know this is quite a cheap/basic bike but didn't want to spend a lot if I didn't stick with it. I have stuck with it and will eventually upgrade to something better but can't afford to right now.

Now onto the problem, the gear changes have never been particularly smooth but over the last month they have got worse. The gear changes themselves, while clunky, aren't a particular issue though any help with this would be greatly appreciated. What is more of an issue is that it sometimes misses a gear especially 3rd and 6th gears (so when I change from 2nd it will go straight to 4th or from 5th straight to 7th). This is more of an issue as you will think you are in the right gear and then it will snap back into the correct gear later on. This is a particular issue when cycling up hill as it throws my feet off the pedals. I've got massive bruises on both knees from where they have hit the handlebars at these times. This happens when riding on relatively smooth roads so isn't even anything to do with the type of terrain that I am riding on.

I have taken the bike to a shop to be serviced and they seemed to think it was ok but it is still happening. So with that information and the fact that I can't afford to upgrade my bike straight away what can I do to try and solve this issue with gear changes being clunky and gears being missed (or being missed then snapping back into them as I am riding)?
Good for you to have taken up cycling and having enjoyed it, have stuck with it. However, given that you seem to have been doing most of your riding on smooth surfaces, the bike you chose was probably not the best one for your needs at the price you paid. Dual suspension mountain bikes are awful to ride on the road no matter how much they cost compared to non suspension bikes at the same price. However, nothing you can do about it now. When you climb hills, use your lowest gears and do not attempt to get out of the saddle, don't be tempted to use a higher gear and push harder. Even after only 4 months, the components of your bike are starting to wear out if you have been riding frequently. If this is your bike:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...7-20-22-frames
it was never designed for someone who rides frequently and for longer distances. Treat your bike gently until you can afford to buy a better one, you have obviously progressed beyond its design parameters.
Old 10-03-19, 01:22 AM
woody316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Good for you to have taken up cycling and having enjoyed it, have stuck with it. However, given that you seem to have been doing most of your riding on smooth surfaces, the bike you chose was probably not the best one for your needs at the price you paid. Dual suspension mountain bikes are awful to ride on the road no matter how much they cost compared to non suspension bikes at the same price. However, nothing you can do about it now. When you climb hills, use your lowest gears and do not attempt to get out of the saddle, don't be tempted to use a higher gear and push harder. Even after only 4 months, the components of your bike are starting to wear out if you have been riding frequently. If this is your bike:
it was never designed for someone who rides frequently and for longer distances. Treat your bike gently until you can afford to buy a better one, you have obviously progressed beyond its design parameters.
The reason for choosing the dual suspension mountain bike was due to the area I live and ride in being country roads that aren't as smooth as normal roads (lots of bumps and cracks etc. especially during the winter) so wanted a bike that would be able to cope with these kinds of conditions. When I upgrade do you recommend just getting a normal road bike then or a hybrid?