Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Swap Tektro hydraulic levers with more ergonomic ones?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-01-19, 10:11 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

We recently purchased a Riese + Muller Load 75 cargo bike - it's awesome, but the brake levers are bothering me. They are these huge, 4 finger, motorcycle style levers that feel really crappy.

They are labelled 'Auriga Comp', although I've had trouble finding the exact model on Tektro's site.
They look much like these: https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=254

They do *not* have any electronic sensors in them (some e-bikes have brake sensors that cause the motor to cut out, but this bike doesn't have that).

Is is possible to just swap out the lever blades with some nicer 2 finger blades? Would other Tektro hydraulic lever blades fit? I'm talking about just swapping the lever blades, not the whole lever unit, although if the latter is an option I'd be into that as well...

Thanks
robo

Last edited by robo; 10-01-19 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-01-19, 10:28 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
If you want to swap the lever, thinking that just swapping the whole brake system for one with a lever you like more will end up being a lot easier.

If you want to swap the levers, you will need to source a replacement, remove and fit the replacement (can you do this?) possibly replace the olive, maybe hose depending on the length and if the olive doesn't survive (worst case, but possible) and re-bleed/add fluid as necessary. Then you will be left with a set of levers which may be hard to sell

If buying a new set, you should just be able to fit, even if you need to shorten the hose, it will be easier as the reservoir will keep the fluid in it (if done correctly) and you will have a complete set of brakes to sell, which will bring more of a return/be a lot easier to sell than just levers.
Old 10-01-19, 11:12 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
If you want to swap the lever, thinking that just swapping the whole brake system for one with a lever you like more will end up being a lot easier.

If you want to swap the levers, you will need to source a replacement, remove and fit the replacement (can you do this?) possibly replace the olive, maybe hose depending on the length and if the olive doesn't survive (worst case, but possible) and re-bleed/add fluid as necessary. Then you will be left with a set of levers which may be hard to sell

If buying a new set, you should just be able to fit, even if you need to shorten the hose, it will be easier as the reservoir will keep the fluid in it (if done correctly) and you will have a complete set of brakes to sell, which will bring more of a return/be a lot easier to sell than just levers.
That's definitely an option. I thought it might be hard to find a new set with cargo-bike length hoses though (the bike is 8' long).
Old 10-01-19, 12:19 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You might appreciate those big levers when you are trying to stop that bike heavily loaded.
Old 10-01-19, 01:40 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You might appreciate those big levers when you are trying to stop that bike heavily loaded.
There it is! There's the clue!
Old 10-01-19, 02:42 PM
robo

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I considered that, but I've been trying to use them with just 2 fingers and it's fine, even with a load and down a hill. Most other cargo bikes use 2 finger levers as well.