Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Work Is Being Done For Serious Non Pneumatic Tires?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Work Is Being Done For Serious Non Pneumatic Tires?

Old 10-14-19, 03:51 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
We have a difference in semantics. From the article: "The end goal is to replace both tire and wheel with a full assembly unit for passenger vehicle use. " So the tire and wheel are the same object. One part has been eliminated. No matter how you phrase it, I think that's got to be much more difficult to achieve on a bike.
I'm not arguing semantics, just going off the pictures...

Their current prototypes are attached to wheels.

Old 10-14-19, 04:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
I'm not arguing semantics, just going off the pictures...

Their current prototypes are attached to wheels.

Look again, the bolts are attached to the tire through a hub that is part of the tire. That's consistent with the text of the article. There's no separate wheel.
Old 10-14-19, 04:26 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
They look like they'll last about 500 miles and be dangerous when they begin to break up. This made worse if there's any sidewall deflection, a little of which is beneficial on road cars..

I wonder what's in those vanes, can't just be rubber alone..?
Old 10-14-19, 09:27 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Bridgestone has been working on non-pneumatic bicycle tires for many years.

Old 10-14-19, 01:26 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Using a compressible fluid makes the most sense. If you can figure out a compressible fluid that is as light as air, yet compresses like a fluid, but doesn't leak like a fluid through say a hole in a tire or tube. Then you've hit pay dirt.

IMO creating a non-pneumatic tire for cars is about the stupidest idea. Flats are very rare. And performance will only decrease and cost will increase with a solid wheel or tire.

On bikes. IMO, not really worth it. Running a successful tubeless setup is about as good as it gets.

As stated, the pneumatic tire really was a game changer when it was introduced. You will not be able to get the same properties of compressed air that can balance ease of manufacture and cost.
Old 10-14-19, 04:15 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Tubeless with stans works great, no flats in 5 years.
Likes For Leebo:
Old 10-14-19, 05:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
I have to wonder if we'll start seeing new foams in the near future.

For example, the Aerogels are light as a feather, but most are brittle, and perhaps not appropriate as a tire filling.

However, a similar fill might be possible to give a flat-free effect without a weight penalty.

One of the issues that has never been quite clear with my Tannus tire is how much permanent compression the tire has been subjected to. It seems as if I have some flattening both due to wear and due to simply being permanently compressed.

I have to think that impacts other liners.

Also, the Tannus tire was a major hassle to install. But, I was doing it on narrow rims, and I think oversized pins. It seems like some of the foam inserts might also be difficult to install, assuming they are designed to tightly fill the tire.

That would be an advantage of the tube + liner above, so it should install easily, then get inflated for longterm use.
Old 10-14-19, 07:55 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I only tried non pneumatic for about ten minutes and the ride was terrible. The wheels felt like boat anchors.
But I'm interested. On my last ride I got two flats and had to bum an emergency back-up tube off a friend.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-14-19, 08:10 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Pneumatic tires on an automobile adds unwanted rotational weight. If a vane tire were to be 20% or less to a traditional steel belted tire in lbs, it'd be a direct positive impact to performance and efficiency.
If a bicycle tire were layered with thicker compounds and had a bead that was more robust, I'd feel more confident in having less flats... kinda like a motorcycle tire, just with a tube.
Old 10-15-19, 04:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by tcs

One look at that boat anchor and it's obvious we shouldn't hold our breaths. It'd look better on a Conestoga.
Old 10-15-19, 08:03 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
A new concept comes out every ~5 years or so. They sell a few to people who claim they are the best thing ever, then no more. Then they disappear.

Flat tires are just not the scourge that airless tire fan make them out to be. Between flat resistant tires, tubeless tires, and liquid sealants, I would be surprised if any airless tire design catches on in my lifetime (I figure I've got 30-40 years left).

The article about the Michelin/GM product claims that they are going for lifetime efficiencies, ie. fewer tires discarded early due to damage of irregular wear, but because of the lower loads and speed requirements on bicycle tires, simple repairs can usually be done to salvage a damaged tire, and irregular wear isn't really a thing unless your frame is twisted or you mount your bike crooked on a trainer. In practice there is little benefit, and if there is a penalty of 200g or 50W, they will probably not be accepted for regular bicycle use.
Old 10-15-19, 08:25 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Solid wheels are more conducive to tubeless pneumatic tires because they can be manufactured to very precise tolerances, ensuring consistent airtight bead fitment and negating the need for messy sealant. They are unfortunately a bit heavier than traditional spoked wheels.
I could see that. Perhaps a solid wheel then drilled to allow air flow so there isn't cross wind blocking, like CF aero spokes. Solves broke spoke issues too. One has to say, tubeless car tire design has certainly improved over the last 10 or 20 years. Flats are almost an after though now compared to previous days.

I'm not as negative about experimentation as some. 9/10 ideas fizzle but every once in a while a pretty good idea comes about. But you have to go through the R7D process to find it.

In one way, bicycles are considered a "mature" technology, so that most of the design elements have been developed to a very efficient state. That doesn't mean new ideas can't be developed. It does mean they probably create a new concept of bicycle or allow for a use not anticipated by the original design. Technical downhill mtb is a good example of that. The new use completely redesigned the base unit.
Old 10-15-19, 08:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Solid wheels are more conducive to tubeless pneumatic tires because they can be manufactured to very precise tolerances, ensuring consistent airtight bead fitment and negating the need for messy sealant. They are unfortunately a bit heavier than traditional spoked wheels.
What happens to those in a cross-wind? Isn't that like having a pair of sails on the bike?
Old 10-15-19, 10:30 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I notice that maallyn started but hasn't participated in this discussion. Makes me wonder if he/she has any real interest in it.

Next up: noseless saddles!
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 10-15-19, 01:38 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What happens to those in a cross-wind? Isn't that like having a pair of sails on the bike?
By solid wheels, I meant wheels that have spokes and rims cast or forged as one solid piece. Example:

Old 10-15-19, 01:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

By solid wheels, I meant wheels that have spokes and rims cast or forged as one solid piece. Example:

Thanks for the clarification.

Have you ever ridden a 5 spoke? You mentioned the higher weight, but otherwise how does it compare to more traditional wheels?
Old 10-15-19, 01:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Spec sheet says Encore (formerly Aerospoke) rear wheel with Shimano hub is 1645g, not including skewer. That's one wheel, not the set. I can't speak for the Encores, but Aerospoke had a reputation for being laterally flexy.

Old 10-15-19, 02:15 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
However, a similar fill might be possible to give a flat-free effect without a weight penalty.
I think the extra weight is only half the penalty. The other half is rolling resistance. Pneumatic tires have less rolling resistance than alternatives with similar suspension qualities.
Old 10-15-19, 04:07 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Pneumatic tires on an automobile adds unwanted rotational weight. If a vane tire were to be 20% or less to a traditional steel belted tire in lbs, it'd be a direct positive impact to performance and efficiency.
If a bicycle tire were layered with thicker compounds and had a bead that was more robust, I'd feel more confident in having less flats... kinda like a motorcycle tire, just with a tube.
You are describing tubeless set ups, exactly.
Old 10-15-19, 04:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
The tubeless tires would need thicker layers than what they average now. toss in a tube, & that could become a bulletproof tire setup.
Old 10-18-19, 12:34 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
The don’t think non-pneumatic will ever takeoff for serious bicycle use until they figure out how to easily change the stiffness. With a pneumatic tire, all you do is add or take away air.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-19-19, 08:51 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Tubeless with stans works great, no flats in 5 years.
My luck hasn't been THAT good. But good enough that I don't even give flats a second thought. I average less than 1 flat a year.
Old 10-19-19, 01:12 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

This would be in the running for the least aero wheel ever.
Old 10-19-19, 02:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I don't think people who desire lightweight and aero are the target market for airless wheels of any kind. That Bridgestone one has the look of something made in a single injection molding... for strollers or fleet bikes or something like that. Compare it to dozens of spokes and nipples that all have to be assembled and trued and which fail one at a time, you can see the attraction.

The Tweel, man they have been working on that thing for decades.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-20-19, 05:20 AM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Aerogels are pretty interesting. I don’t know a lot about them yet, but perhaps someday they could act as a very lightweight foam insert that allows air to squish around, but provide some amount of run-flat structure if the tire punctures.
Incredibly fragile. Aerogel turns to powder quickly if you compress it. I think their only use is for space shuttle reentry and similar applications where low weight and thermal performance are required.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.