Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sram NX shifter shifts 2 instead of 1

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-19, 02:01 AM
Edy009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a sram nx 1*11 drivetrain and for the most part it has been great, but when i changed my shifting cable it started to shift 2 gears instead of 1 (when going feom the largest to the lowest gear) so i took it to a shop and they told me i needed to change the derailleur hanger and after changing that they werent able to do anything to that.
At the moment they are saying that the shifter needs to be replaced.
Did anybody have this problem and what is the fix?
If not i will send the bike in for warranty
Old 10-12-19, 06:12 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
"...when i changed my shifting cable it started to shift 2 gears instead of 1... might indicate a problem with the cable or installation. Did you use the correct type of cable? Did you prepare the cable housing ends correctly? https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html#cutting Is the cable routed correctly, especially the final loop going to the derailleur? No kinks or sharp bends?
Edit: Is the cable head properly engaged in the shifter?

Last edited by dsbrantjr; 10-12-19 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-13-19, 02:09 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
There is of course the possibility that the shop is correct. Were it in my hands at work, if I thought the shifter was the problem I'd ask you to replace it, and if that wasn't actually the solution I would reinstall your old shifter without charge (for the shifter, at least). I might also just temporarily connect a shifter to the derailleur as a purely diagnostic measure.

To be clear, is it double shifting through a single shift, or is it consistently double shifting through the whole range? If it's the later, it probably is the shifter, and it may be pursuable as a warranty issue with Sram--they are pretty easy to warranty parts with.
If it's just one shift, it would be a relatively easy thing to test--does the shifter pull cable through 11 clicks? If it does, it's unlikely to be the shifter--the indexing on the shifter rarely goes off.

If the shop wanted to replace your hanger its likely that the derailleur may have been bent also, and wide range 1x systems are more sensitive to misalignment than most other drivetrains.

What's the reputation on this shop? Ideally you'd take it somewhere where you trust the mechanics' assessments and trust the business to stand behind their labor etc.

Also usually a drivetrain issue would be considered a warranty issue with the drivetrain manufacturer (in this case Sram) and it's extremely unlikely that you could warranty the entire bike. Sram pretty much requires you to go through a dealer to warranty components.
Old 10-14-19, 07:20 AM
Edy009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
There is of course the possibility that the shop is correct. Were it in my hands at work, if I thought the shifter was the problem I'd ask you to replace it, and if that wasn't actually the solution I would reinstall your old shifter without charge (for the shifter, at least). I might also just temporarily connect a shifter to the derailleur as a purely diagnostic measure.

To be clear, is it double shifting through a single shift, or is it consistently double shifting through the whole range? If it's the later, it probably is the shifter, and it may be pursuable as a warranty issue with Sram--they are pretty easy to warranty parts with.
If it's just one shift, it would be a relatively easy thing to test--does the shifter pull cable through 11 clicks? If it does, it's unlikely to be the shifter--the indexing on the shifter rarely goes off.

If the shop wanted to replace your hanger its likely that the derailleur may have been bent also, and wide range 1x systems are more sensitive to misalignment than most other drivetrains.

What's the reputation on this shop? Ideally you'd take it somewhere where you trust the mechanics' assessments and trust the business to stand behind their labor etc.

Also usually a drivetrain issue would be considered a warranty issue with the drivetrain manufacturer (in this case Sram) and it's extremely unlikely that you could warranty the entire bike. Sram pretty much requires you to go through a dealer to warranty components.
It sfits like that in every gear and the shop is pretty trusted around here, also whan i tested the derailleur with a sram gx shifter (it was in the shop) it worked. And in the country I live i cant send the shifter for warranty only, i need to send the whole bike