Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How the mighty have fallen

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How the mighty have fallen

Old 10-18-19, 08:38 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by smoothness
He's just not getting the "receptive" audience that he thought he was going to get. Cars are safer, more reliable, and last a hell of a lot longer. Bicycles companies have realized that only targeting MAMIL and their ilk is a death sentence. Sports-oriented bicycles are now being targeted to people of all class and creed. E-bikes will become more commonplace with each coming year. Fight me, OP.
He is just not getting it, period.
Old 10-18-19, 08:44 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Except my car today is more reliable, safer and mind the gaps better than any other previous car.

And using paints that aren't toxic to the environment is actually a good thing.
I agree 100%.

People’s memories of what the good old days were like are often clouded by the fog of nostalgia.

As much as I loved my 1967 250SE, I prefer my current Cabrio.

During a collision I prefer to be surrounded by a sea of marshmallow-like air bags, than to be shoved into a hard steering column or have my head bounce against the windows or windshield.
Old 10-18-19, 09:14 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Ok, so there are definitely aspects of (insert your term of choice here) workmanship, quality, high-end materials, assembly methods, etc. which have slipped in top of the line automobiles, whether it be comparing the use of triple-paned glass and the like, or dashboard and switchgear robustness on a 1989 Merc S-class vs. one from the early 2000s.........

or craftsmanship in framebuilding and top-notch component choices in old Colnagos vs. this new déclassé one

but that’s a different argument to whether the new stuff is better overall. Of course it is! We just may appreciate the older ways more in some cases.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 10-18-19, 09:27 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
This?

or this?

Old 10-18-19, 09:40 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
This?

or this?

On this one, I prefer the first, in some instances, I am still a "luddite"
Best, Ben
Old 10-18-19, 10:26 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
This?

or this?

I'd prefer the best of both.

I want a frame handmade by a cyborg!
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 10-19-19, 07:15 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@Reynolds, Why either or?

I can appreciate hand-made craftsmanship as much as anyone. But legitimate criticism can go either way.

It's great to have the option to order a custom-made frame from a master builder.

It's also great to be able to buy a mass-produced bike that can tick every box that the purchaser has.

I mean, hand-made products can and do suffer from quality issues just like mass-produced products can.

See this article for the causes of the 7-Eleven team bike failures. Would anyone not call Serotta a master?

The cycling world is huge, and I think it's a good thing that it is as accessible to as many people as possible.

Ride on.
Old 10-19-19, 08:09 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
This?

or this?
False dichotomy.

And most people cannot afford your first option.
Old 10-19-19, 11:05 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
This?

or this?

You should have included a pic of a Chinese factory worker pulling a modern monocoque CF frame out of a vacuum oven. Point is, even the old C&V lugged CF frames required quite a bit more involvement/attention from a builder than what is being produced today......
Old 10-19-19, 02:51 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
You know, real men don't ride fancy little crybaby Italyeeni bikes. The Duke (John Wayne) drank beer all night and ate the cans for breakfast. Then he got on his Huffy Space Ranger bike and rode to work. He passed all the airplane glue sniffing wimps riding their sissy foreign bikes. The Duke could ride uphill smoking non-filter cigs. and drinking whiskey all day long.
The Duke was cool, but Jacques Anquetilwas faster, drank champagne , smoked Gaulois and won five tours.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 10-19-19, 08:49 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
We're just like you, riding around and having fun. We're on bikes, too, you know - the only difference is they're better than what you're riding

DD
Oh, I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were riding a Colnago....
Old 10-21-19, 12:11 PM
pachyderm56

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You know the French had e bikes all figured out in 1938
they may have had electric bikes figured out but the maginot line was kind of a failure
Old 10-21-19, 12:55 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Like them or not, read about Trek and carbon frame production. 🏁

Link will not directly go to the article but when in the search, enter Trek factory visit.

Last edited by crank_addict; 10-21-19 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-21-19, 01:06 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Meh. Basic laws of supply and demand at work and consumer interest.
Crazy how you can buy a factory/stock 700HP SUV from Jeep.

Or buy a middle class sedan by Mercedes.

Nothing is really novelty anymore, even with bikes.

Instead of "How the Mighty Have Fallen," it's more like "Where's the money at, yo"
Old 10-21-19, 01:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by pachyderm56
they may have had electric bikes figured out but the maginot line was kind of a failure
The constructeurs secretly made e-bikes for the Resistance that allowed them to easily outpace the Germans on their overweight, under-geared fallsturmjagerfahrrads. In an effort to save weight, hide their true nature, and retain a whippy feel, the frame was made entirely of batteries.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-21-19, 01:44 PM
greenspark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
This issue is not exclusive to bikes. Remember when owning a BMW or Benz was a big deal? Now they are built by child labour in some forsaken third world country and bought by image conscious boobs everywhere. Where I live, I see 'Masis' riding around everywhere. Of course they have nothing to do with geniune Masis. Globalisation has not led to a renaissance of quality consumer products, quite the opposite in fact.
Oops you have shifted the debate from bicycles to cars... dangerous ground. Recently, when my wife was in Europe for a month, I was driving our Toyota Ractis, purchased a year ago, and realised I could not stand it. Tinny with a CV transmission that was continually changing rpm. So I went on the hunt and found a Mercedes B180, also with CV but a world of difference. Quiet, smooth, almost as economical, sporty, huge hauling room for a small footprint and no door sill. The finish is pleasant and it cost me NZ$2,000 difference once I flogged off the Ractis which was four years older, but about the same miles. I bought my first Benz 33 years ago, a 1986 e-class, the last "real" Benz, and frankly find this B180 to be a better ride. I also own a SLK and a 82 G-wagon and find each to be a brilliant design fit for purpose. Haul 2 tons of marble in the back, take the G (rated for 850kg). Beautiful day, drop the steel top on the SLK. Go shopping, the B180 does the job. Go racing? Well, the 1969 boattail Alfa Spider needs to be put back together, which I hope to do before they ban internal combustion engines.

Now back to bicycles. When your only tool is a hammer, everything gets hammered. It generally is better to understand the job at hand and then seek out a tool maker who makes the right tool.

I discovered a three-person factory near Milan that makes bicycle frames using lightweight (as well as conventional) bike tubing. They have been doing so for over 50 years. I commissioned a one-off with no badge and no decals since they are a factory not a brand. I had hoped to set up a direct mail order for them, but global shipping costs more than the bike. Nice idea, but it's time has not yet come. When Amazon offers cheap shipping in Italy, then it will be a nice solution-provider for those who know what they want, and will ensure small businesses in Italy survive the onslaught of Chinese mass production.

Bikes are made for intended purpose, at least in Europe. City bikes absorb shock, ride upright so you can see and be seen (social not safety). Try to load too much on the back of an Italian city bike and the frame waggle is downright dangerous. Road racing bikes are face down, so even if you ride from Paris to Milan, mostly what you will see is pavement. Courier and long-haul bikes are stiff and heavier, and now are transitioning to ebikes, as are city bikes that are allowing older riders to not give up their utility in hilly or windy regions.

Then you have America. Americans can be divided into people who have no clue about bike intent and buy whatever the store sells them, and ultra-aficionados who become precious about bikes. For the former, it usually ends up being a spontaneous buy that soon is left in the garage gathering dust. For the latter, it becomes a sacred object, admired, discussed at parties and taken out in full regalia to impress others in the tribe and snear at mere mortals in their stinking cars trying to pass three-abreast riders asserting their road rights. More recently, the road warriors have been joined by the MTB clan. These emerged from the youth market where boys who grew muscles but never grew up found their kids bike needed more strength to crash down California mountains and not break. Soon the trend-setters found their bikes copied by Chinese firms with stickers warning the MTB should not be used offroad. Enter the clueless shopper who previously was seated on a road racer now being sold a "hybrid" MTB which means it looks like one, but, like too many SUVs will never be used off road... or for that matter used much at all, since it's not that much fun except when used to crash down mountains.

Next, one has the collector. When new bikes become old, some end up in garage sales where one in a hundred turns out to have been a brilliantly engineered tool selling for the same $10 Kmart bike next to it. Snapped up, lovingly restored and reported on bikeforums.net, it becomes an object of tribal identity, with a mix of love of excellence (a good trait) and measurement of the size of ones appendage (a bit primitive).

Finally, one has the businessman (yes very few are female). The businessman recognises that brands can have value, so he buys a premium brand that fell on hard times, and slaps it on a made-in-China bike where cost cutting was paramount. Collectors moan, clueless buy and we repeat the same cycle, pardon the pun.

Me? I have three Bella Ciao bikes whose frames are made in that Italian factory, as well as one frame made for me by them but without the Bella Ciao label for a lot less money. All of them have ebike kit motors attached, since we have killer hills and I am interested in transport, not purity with pain. I have a Velorbis with ebike kit when I plan to bring back a bag of cement on the ferry. I also have two cheap $45 garage sale aluminium frame bikes with ebike kits on them for our HelpX workers. My other experiments in retrofitting, like a 1951 Raleigh DL-1 have been retired as too much trouble and my 1972 Peugeot PX10 remains hanging from the ceiling, with perhaps 10 miles on it since I bought it new - a testimony to the clueless being sold a bike that was not fit for purpose. Oh, and I sold my Gary Fisher MTB that I bought in 1996 in 2013, again with about ten miles on it. I am a slow learner.

Last edited by greenspark; 10-21-19 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-19, 04:13 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Bicycle blog?

A, this is a bicycle blog and not a car blog, right?