Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Light selection guide.

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Light selection guide.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 06:54 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get small Xenon strobe lights in several colors. Mine works on anything from 6 to 15 volts. When I go night kayaking in San Francisco Bay I take mine off of the bike, wire in a 9-volt battery, and paddle off. For serious power get a bigger battery and a PSE amber warning strobe light. Light goes in all directions, not just to the rear. Even my little Radio Shack strobe is strong enough to be a sure cure for keeping people from drafting me.

Last edited by ken cummings; 08-31-08 at 06:56 PM. Reason: :)
Old 09-11-08, 09:44 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
You can get small Xenon strobe lights in several colors. Mine works on anything from 6 to 15 volts. When I go night kayaking in San Francisco Bay I take mine off of the bike, wire in a 9-volt battery, and paddle off. For serious power get a bigger battery and a PSE amber warning strobe light. Light goes in all directions, not just to the rear. Even my little Radio Shack strobe is strong enough to be a sure cure for keeping people from drafting me.
Strobe lights on a boat? (The CG seems to think strobes are distress signals.)
Old 03-09-09, 08:21 AM
Yxklyx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garrity Light - NO BATTERIES!

I just bought a Garrity light (https://www.garritylites.com/page116.html). It's a really nice piece of hardware (very cheap too). It requires no batteries - you just crank it up for a minute or two and it retains its charge for a long time. I think it's supposed to last for one hour. HOWEVER, it doesn't have a mount for a bicycle. I looked on their web page and they don't sell any of these for bicycles - they'd make a killing if they sold a mount for it. I googled around and it seems that crank up lights are more popular in China and Hong Kong but I couldn't find a retailer to buy from. Someone here in the USA needs to get on the ball and start making these. Batteries should be a thing of the past!
Old 04-02-09, 07:11 PM
Stickyrunner01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think this might be the right spot now, cross post from commuting...

Okay, so i've been lurking and reading pretty silently... now i need some help...

ready to spend about 100, could prollly swing up to 200 if necessary...

I need a headlight. I am commuting on a bike trail after dark and the light i am using is HORRIBLE! From what i have been reading, a DIY project would get me the most light... but I am not really looking for something that is perm attached to my handlebars as my commuter (06 bianchi virata), is really my road bike and i am just commuting to gain more fitness.

The P7 and the fenix names have come up alot, are those going to be the best choice for a 16-20 mph commute along a 25 mile each way route (50 RT). The way its going right now however, is that I would only need the light on the commute to work. The only time i would need it on the return would be weather related.

Also, i was reading (and might be mis-informed) that dealextreme's shipping times are kinda slow... i would really prefer to have this within a week...

help?

(ps, i just downloaded the chart and am looking it over)
Old 04-02-09, 07:17 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
My Choice.

https://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=2692

Old 04-04-09, 03:48 PM
Stickyrunner01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Went ahead and pulled the trigger... 154.45 final... figured i can pull the extra 50 from my gas budget for the month ... Hopefully I will have it by mid week...
Old 04-28-09, 04:39 PM
totoroben
Ben

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Schwinn Traveler, Panasonic Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So much has changed since the OP in 2005. High powered LED flashlights are as cheap as dirt now, so there is no longer a compromise. I used to have a 15w cygolite that I replaced with a 7w LED flashlight from ebay. Same output. I remember buying my first Cateye LED headlight that boasted thousands of hours on 4 AAs. That light wasnt even worthy of being seen.
Old 05-04-09, 05:13 AM
AustinShredman
AustinShredman

Bikes: Specialized Ground Control

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rechargables make a difference.

I agree with StephenH. The newer lights need alot of power to run strong, and be seen from far away. Rechargable batteries make being seen alot easier and affordable. There are many quality rear light safey systems out there to choose from.
Old 09-21-09, 01:18 PM
RedWhiteandRed
Bikesman

Bikes: Giant Seek 1 IGH; Specialized Roubaix On Order

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you happen to be in a major Canadian city or use the interweb for shopping - Mountain Equipment Coop cannot be beat.

I bought a couple of lights for $100 from my LBS - these fell off of my bike and broke and were not very good anyway (Trek.)

Then I bought a rear red flasher LED from MEC for $5 and a front light for $12 and am AMAZED at how well they perform and how long they last and how sporty they are.

Cheers - B
Old 09-24-09, 12:04 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am a little clueless, so forgive me for this question. I am buying this https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13060 and I am trying figure out what batteries I'll need. The description for the light says "3.7V ~ 50mA (low) ~ 2000mA(High)
4.2V ~ 70mA (low) ~3200mA(High)"

So which battery: this: https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29031 with 2500 mAh
or that: https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26249 with 3000 mAh

or something in between? Does it matter, will both work. Will one work better than the other?

Thank you

Old 09-30-09, 10:33 AM
Casrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
going to add on to the pile and ask for some suggestions for a low profile/aero front light
I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to my road bike - I loved having it just stripped down to the bike itself but had to add a back light and now I have to find a front light because with the coming autumn I get caught out riding in the dark more often

I don't need something that is going to illuminate the road like it's daylight
my night-time vision is good so I'm just looking for something that will let cars know I'm out there and keep me legal
don't need hours of power supply - usually about 45 minutes
but what I want most is something that is small and somewhat aero/low profile and I definitely don't want to be carrying a battery pack

I keep seeing Knog lights - I'm not a fixie rider but I do like the simplicity of them (at least in picture) but also keep reading about how much they suck as far as output
any other suggestions that might fit?
(sorry, I can't be arsed to scour the threads for similar topics)
Old 09-30-09, 12:52 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Casrider
going to add on to the pile and ask for some suggestions for a low profile/aero front light
I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to my road bike - I loved having it just stripped down to the bike itself but had to add a back light and now I have to find a front light because with the coming autumn I get caught out riding in the dark more often

I don't need something that is going to illuminate the road like it's daylight
my night-time vision is good so I'm just looking for something that will let cars know I'm out there and keep me legal
don't need hours of power supply - usually about 45 minutes
but what I want most is something that is small and somewhat aero/low profile and I definitely don't want to be carrying a battery pack

I keep seeing Knog lights - I'm not a fixie rider but I do like the simplicity of them (at least in picture) but also keep reading about how much they suck as far as output
any other suggestions that might fit?
(sorry, I can't be arsed to scour the threads for similar topics)
Unlesss you've seen this before, it will do the job better than you could imagine.

https://www.eagletac-store.com/produ...roducts_id=607

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=274

https://www.batteryjunction.com/enelo...-nimh-lsd.html

https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol...4336555&sr=8-2
Old 09-30-09, 05:50 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's all sorts of ways to go, such as what the first poster too your question answered. Or you can get one of a couple made for bikes bike lights such as: https://www.rei.com/product/745539 or: https://www.rei.com/product/769616 The PlanetBike light seemed to get better reviews then the Cateye, both are aero minimalist approach to lighting. Do a web search and you could probably find a better deal then REI.
Old 10-06-09, 01:59 PM
jtbooth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat (or bike?) as Casrider. My commuter is also my weekend ride bike. I have a NiteRider classic with extenral battery pack that I used also on my mountain bike. It's just heavy and it's annoying putting it on and off every few days. I was looking into the cygolite MilIon 150 or 200 (https://www.cygolite.com/products/new...milion200.html) but they are new and I haven't heard much about them yet. Anyone else? The EagleTac flashlight solution looks interesting too though I hate kludgy solutions. (and I have a feeling I'd kludge that on...)
Old 10-07-09, 04:23 PM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Bikes: Trek Soho, Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to choose a bike light for commuting

I've been looking around for a good bike light for commuting, and possibly some casual MTBing. I have a cheapo halogen light that mainly works either to be seen (when pointed up), or to see the road in front of me (pointed down). But it doesn't do both, and the light output is pretty dismal...it's mainly to keep me from getting squished! So, if you have had some experience with any of these lights or have suggestions, I'd very much appreciate your input. Thanks!

Requirements:
Price - < $150
Mount - Handlebar, preferrably comes with a helmet mount as well
Light Type - LED preferred
Battery Type - doesn't matter, but lighter is better
Build Quality - I know I'm coming in a bit low for a quality manufacturer, but I'm still concerned with it working well and for a couple of years.

Some candidates I've found:
Old 10-12-09, 04:11 PM
tshelver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm using an Airbike 900 lumen, and like it a lot. Seems to have pretty good run time as well, much better than most of the flashlights.
It's a bit over your price list (around $215) from Geomangear), but it seems excellent for the money compared to the name brand competition (600 - 800 lumen LED).
Round beam, with a bright central spot and very reasonable side illumination.

The MagicShine gets good reviews at the price as well: IIRC it does not have as good a battery life as some others. Still better IIRC than similar-powered flashlights.

I've also bought a 900 lumen flashlight ($80 without batteries / charger, 100 with), that i will use for backup if possible, and also for night hikes. This is from hkequipment on ebay, price includes shipping from Hong Kong.
I bought a red LED 230 lumen flashlight from them, and I think it took 10 days or so. That light is really bright on the bike, friends say they can see me easily hundreds of yards away: almost obliterates the blinky I have on for backup
Old 10-14-09, 03:47 PM
Plutonix
Cyclologist

Bikes: Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPprivate
I am a little clueless, so forgive me for this question. I am buying this https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13060 and I am trying figure out what batteries I'll need. The description for the light says "3.7V ~ 50mA (low) ~ 2000mA(High)
4.2V ~ 70mA (low) ~3200mA(High)"

So which battery: this: https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29031 with 2500 mAh
or that: https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26249 with 3000 mAh

or something in between? Does it matter, will both work. Will one work better than the other?

Thank you

None of the DX pics are coming up at the moment, some sort of problem. But I remember looking at that light a while back based on some of the comments/reviews.

I have had really spotty performance with some of the DX ****Fire batteries. Batteries in the same shipment arriving DOA or varying in length by 1-2mm. Posts in other forums have indicated the same spottiness: some people swear by them and others swear at them.

If you read thru the comments for the Ultrafire battery you'll see mention of them leaking after 3 cycles. Things like that with the inherent dangers of Lithium batteries gives me pause. I did some research on Li as to performance, reliability, quality etc and found threads at CPF including graphs etc (which I cannot find now to reference). What I took away from the readings was:
* TrustFire and UnltraFire are pretty equivalent and vary as to quality
* UniqueFire is a cut below (cr@p was the technical term used)
* AW is more expensive but actual capacity was much closer to stated, with better/additional protection
* WolfEyes are comparable or better than AW at least as to performance.

Lighthound sells the AW brand. They cost more than the WhateverFires but peace of mind has a value as well.

HTH
Old 11-04-09, 09:38 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Anyone have experience with the nite rider mininewt mini usb? Also, what's the difference between that and the plus?
Old 11-04-09, 10:31 PM
jt4703

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex
Anyone have experience with the nite rider mininewt mini usb? Also, what's the difference between that and the plus?
I've got one of these and really like it. Charging is around 4 hours and I get a charge to last 3 hours with a sharp drop around 3:15 but I never use it in one shot as my max ride length is 40 min, so about 3 rides for me and if I forget to charge before the 4th, I need my backup light. I don't know how it compares to the plus version but it does a great job for my riding needs.
Old 11-05-09, 12:12 AM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Bikes: Trek Soho, Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted in the Magicshine thread, but wanted to give an update here also. I pulled the trigger and got the MagicShine light from GeoManGear.com. I had to wait a couple weeks for them to get more units in stock, but it was well worth the wait. For under $100, I've got a light that is brighter than some old car headlights. It has a very nice center spot for pointing down the road, and good spill to illuminate the general area in front of the bike. You can see potholes and debris from 100 feet away easily, and is a definite attention getter if you point it up high. Still not sure about the durability, but word is that GeoMan stands behind their products and takes care of their customers. Cheers all!
Old 12-20-09, 06:19 AM
vinbytes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, It is really good if a bike has lights. They would help at night and also for some vehicles to see you. The light would be a source of signal. heheheh ^^
Old 05-21-10, 08:16 AM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I'm thinking about this one, BUT it's impossible to compare with others because the light output is in "lux" instead of watts or lumens (unless lux is plural lumens in Germany)--How does one do an effective comparison?
Old 05-21-10, 08:32 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ClarkinHawaii
I'm thinking about this one, BUT it's impossible to compare with others because the light output is in "lux" instead of watts or lumens (unless lux is plural lumens in Germany)--How does one do an effective comparison?
Lux is lumens per meter. FWIW, that light won't be terribly bright in comparison to other lights in the same price range.
Old 05-21-10, 08:58 AM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Lux is lumens per meter. FWIW, that light won't be terribly bright in comparison to other lights in the same price range.
OK thanks
Old 07-13-10, 09:26 PM
tshelver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not too sure how relevant MPH is as a factor. For me, at 55 years young, my night vision is a fraction of what it was when I was younger, so I am becoming more and more dependent on powerful lighting as the years go by.

How can you say LEDs are expensive? I bought a tactical 200 lumen red LED flashlight made out of machined aluminum for $10. Shipped from Hong Kong to my door.
Makes a great rear light, way stronger than any 'Superflash'. All you need to add are rechargable 18650 batteries, and you can get a charger and 4 quality protected 3000 mAh batteries for under 30 bucks.

The 900 lumen MagicShine from DealExtreme bike light is under $80 shipped to your door. While the overall build quality is not as good as some, it works well, and so far has been trouble free. That is about what my POS name brand 10W halogen cost me some hears back. The MagicShine has 3 times the run time, even on high, and you can't even see the halogen beam when it is on.
For my eyes and roads, the halogen was inadequate for anything over 8 mph, and probably even that was pushing it. Not a whole let better than the old flashlight thing I was doing as a kid (then again, the old night vision isn't what it was either).

Where can you come even close to those prices for halogen equipment?
I think it is more fair to say that there are manufacturers who are expensive, rather than technologies. I would guess that a lot of the name brand companies have cost structures built around the old (expensive) technologies, where the product component cost is now just a small part of the total.

Lastly, I've not tried HID lights on my bicycle, but I do do have an HID headlight on my dual sport motorcycle. Maybe what is used on the bicycles is substandard, or limited by the technology / batteries, but on my dual sport motorcycle, the high-beam comes on almost instantaneously, and gives much, much better light than the halogen that preceded in less than a second.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.