Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to improve climbing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How to improve climbing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 05:34 PM
robbleebob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to improve climbing

Hey all,

I have done a quick Google search, as well as checked here, but I am hoping that I can get some experiential advice as to how people have improved their own climbing.

I currently live in a very hilly/mountainous area where most of my rides include climbing multiple 500m+ hills (recently rode a 200k with 3,900m of elevation gain), so I am comfortable climbing. However, there is a short 6-7 min climb that a few friends and I use for training and timing. I felt that I was competitive with a time of 7:03, but it was smashed yesterday by my riding partner with a time... damn him.. of 6:14.

What now? I have not been doing any 'specific' training, just riding, but I'd like to hear what people have found to be the most effective way to increase speed, power, and effectivness on the big hills.

Thanks in advance... this is keeping me up at night...
Old 03-23-11, 05:45 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ride up it, ride down it, ride up it again. repeat until your legs fall off.

like any strength training, you improve by doing.
Old 03-23-11, 05:54 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CNY James

+1
Old 03-23-11, 05:57 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Intervals. Find a hill, sprint up it as fast as you can for a short period of time. Sit back for another short period of time. Repeat.
Old 03-23-11, 05:58 PM
mrvile
The bus, Gus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CNY James

/thread
Old 03-23-11, 06:10 PM
zitter

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doing multiple repeats at a slow pace isn't necessarily the most effective way to get better at climbing. try doing hard efforts in fewer numbers rather than easy effort with more repeats
Old 03-23-11, 06:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
hmmm ... how about a little cross training like with running shoes, do some hill sprints, or go to a local college and run up those huge bleachers a few times
Old 03-23-11, 06:52 PM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loose a few kilos if you can.
Old 03-23-11, 07:14 PM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hmmm ... how about a little cross training like with running shoes, do some hill sprints, or go to a local college and run up those huge bleachers a few times
this might be the most useless piece of advice I've ever seen posted on BF.
For one, what makes you think the OP has access to huge bleachers where he or she lives (Korea).
For another, running bleachers doesn't make you a better climber, it only beats the crap out of your knees.

There are well over a hundred threads on BF discussing this very subject.
Consensus seems to be hill repeats.
What helped me the most was mapping out a route with 5-7 decent climbs, going as hard as I can uphill and recovering on the downhills.
It really does get easier over time.

(edit - rumrunn6, where are you located? I'm in Fitchburg, lots of good climbs within 20 miles of where I am including Wachusett and Temple)
Old 03-23-11, 07:34 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by robbleebob
Hey all,

I have done a quick Google search, as well as checked here, but I am hoping that I can get some experiential advice as to how people have improved their own climbing.

I currently live in a very hilly/mountainous area where most of my rides include climbing multiple 500m+ hills (recently rode a 200k with 3,900m of elevation gain), so I am comfortable climbing. However, there is a short 6-7 min climb that a few friends and I use for training and timing. I felt that I was competitive with a time of 7:03, but it was smashed yesterday by my riding partner with a time... damn him.. of 6:14.

What now? I have not been doing any 'specific' training, just riding, but I'd like to hear what people have found to be the most effective way to increase speed, power, and effectivness on the big hills.

Thanks in advance... this is keeping me up at night...
That's a relatively short climb.

You can practice by doing 5-7 minute intervals beyond threshold power, near VO2MAX.

So something like 2 sets of 2 x 5 ON, 5 min OFF, 2 x a week.

BTW, I will be visiting your country next month with my bike. Hope there are some good climbs, we shall see
Old 03-23-11, 07:43 PM
back4more

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo
this might be the most useless piece of advice I've ever seen posted on BF.
For one, what makes you think the OP has access to huge bleachers where he or she lives (Korea).
For another, running bleachers doesn't make you a better climber, it only beats the crap out of your knees.

There are well over a hundred threads on BF discussing this very subject.
Consensus seems to be hill repeats.
What helped me the most was mapping out a route with 5-7 decent climbs, going as hard as I can uphill and recovering on the downhills.
It really does get easier over time.

(edit - rumrunn6, where are you located? I'm in Fitchburg, lots of good climbs within 20 miles of where I am including Wachusett and Temple)
+1

Running stairs will totally trash your knees.
Old 03-23-11, 07:45 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have started to wonder if I will ever get better at climbing. With me the problem isn't leg strength, it is lack of oxygen. I had a cardio related surgery a year and a half ago and I feel that I have made improvement since then but on inclines my heart rate still maxes out. Maybe it takes years of constant work to become a better climber.
Old 03-23-11, 07:51 PM
BarryJo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by back4more
+1

Running stairs will totally trash your knees.
I found this out for myself, last February I was in Gainsville Fl. without a bike. So I thought it would be a good idea to run the bleachers at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (UoF).
I couldn't walk right for over a week after a couple of sessions.
Old 03-23-11, 07:55 PM
BarryJo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I have started to wonder if I will ever get better at climbing. With me the problem isn't leg strength, it is lack of oxygen. I had a cardio related surgery a year and a half ago and I feel that I have made improvement since then but on inclines my heart rate still maxes out. Maybe it takes years of constant work to become a better climber.
I've found that by just sticking with it you'll make incremental gains that will turn into significant gains over time.
Old 03-23-11, 07:55 PM
palesaint

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
1. Practice 5-10 minute hill climbs. Over and over again.
2. Loose weight if you have it to spare
3. Rest a couple days before "racing" your buddy. You want fresh legs when you throw it down.

This pretty much sums it up.
Old 03-23-11, 09:16 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarryJo
I've found that by just sticking with it you'll make incremental gains that will turn into significant gains over time.
''

Thanks, this is good advice. I have seen some improvements in my climbing ability during the past year. I also lift weights and progress in weight training comes much faster than in cycling.
Old 03-28-11, 02:55 AM
robbleebob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. As mentioned, I am comfortable climbing already, and I have no choice but to climb regularly anyway. If possible, I am looking for a specific program, such as 5-7 minute intervals beyond threshold power, near VO2MAX. Particularly one that people have experience with.

Advice is helpful, but I am already in very good shape (refer to the original post), so dropping weight, doing general climbs, etc. are not specific enough to help.

Thanks for any help... and keep climbing.

kimconyc: Lots of climbs here. If you are looking for some specific advise, check out Han Rivers Riders on Facebook... great country to ride in (just watch-out for drivers!!).
Old 03-28-11, 05:30 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
The hill you're trying to attack just happens to be perfect for the intervals you should be doing.

Climb it on the hardest gear you can push without having to downshift, and repeat 3-5X with 3-5 minute breaks in between (the descent alone should be enough for recovery). Too much recovery will hamper your progress.

And don't say you're "already in very good shape" because clearly you're not nearly as fast as your buddy. Lose this mentality or you won't improve.

Last edited by colombo357; 03-28-11 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-28-11, 05:56 AM
robbleebob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
The hill you're trying to attack just happens to be perfect for the intervals you should be doing.

Climb it on the hardest gear you can push without having to downshift, and repeat 3-5X with 3-5 minute breaks in between (the descent alone should be enough for recovery). Too much recovery will hamper your progress.

And don't say you're "already in very good shape" because clearly you're not nearly as fast as your buddy. Lose this mentality or you won't improve.

I know I need to improve, and equally important is that I want to improve. I only mention that I am already in good shape because climbing hills more, or doing hills everyday is not targeted enough for someone like me, I do that anyway (I am only saying this so that the advice is more targeted to my situation and not a newbie).

Thanks for the advice. I was never too sure as how to long or often my hill repeats should be. Is about seven minutes a standard recommended climb for repeats?
Old 03-28-11, 06:42 AM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 7-minute hill is a great length for hill repeats. You may be in great shape, but there is a difference between great shape and climbing-specific shape. I don’t think anyone was saying that you are fat or out of shape by suggesting you lose weight. There are plenty of great time trialists who are in fantastic shape, but would be better climbers if they were 10 pounds lighter.
Old 03-28-11, 09:11 AM
Agave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
That's a relatively short climb.

You can practice by doing 5-7 minute intervals beyond threshold power, near VO2MAX.

So something like 2 sets of 2 x 5 ON, 5 min OFF, 2 x a week.

BTW, I will be visiting your country next month with my bike. Hope there are some good climbs, we shall see
Please don't start with the good advice here. Everyone knows that just random hard efforts with no daily/weekly/monthly plan is the best way to improve.
Old 03-30-11, 12:56 AM
robbleebob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Debusama
A 7-minute hill is a great length for hill repeats. You may be in great shape, but there is a difference between great shape and climbing-specific shape. I don’t think anyone was saying that you are fat or out of shape by suggesting you lose weight. There are plenty of great time trialists who are in fantastic shape, but would be better climbers if they were 10 pounds lighter.
No doubt. I'm just trying to tailor the feedback as I know there's a lot of experienced riders on this thread...
Old 03-30-11, 10:58 AM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait, are you saying that buying a 12lb bike for $20,000, won't make me a professional level climber?
Old 03-30-11, 11:23 AM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the only thing that will make climbing easier is to do more of it. its really that simple. first make sure you have the right gearing (whatever that may be for you) and having a decently light bike will also help but not drastically. then go hit the mountains. it will never get easy but it will get easier and you will get to the top faster. good luck and ill see you at the top!
Old 03-30-11, 11:31 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Debusama
This is spot on, in my experience.

Last season one of my goals was to break an hour up Mt. Diablo. Spent a lot of time doing 20min, 6min, and 1min intervals to bump up the FTP. But equally important -- maybe even more important--was eliminating all the junk from my diet to lose that very stubborn 10lbs. That weight never hurt me in crits or rolling RR's, but gravity is a very harsh mistress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.