Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cart. Bearing Replacement Issues / Old Lambert Hubs

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-14-11, 08:15 PM
OldRoadman

Bikes: 82 Trek 613 Sport Touring, 84 Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

I took my wheel into the LBS for a cartridge bearing replacements and they said they could not do the job due to the unusual nature of the original install. These are factory Lambert high flange hubs with the original 6000rs press fit bearings. After their attempt to install, one side bearing is now loose in the press fit hub cavity. Lambert used brass sleeves pressed into the bearing inner dia. so they would fit on to the 9mm dia. axle shaft. The front QR axle being 9mm and the standard 6000 bearing inner dia. is approx. 10mm.. Looks like I need to get these 1mm thickness sleeves to install into the new bearings OR ... find a way to get 10mm dia. axles into those Lambert hubs. Also... did they ruin the press fit cavity for the bearing? See pic with arrow pointing to the inner sleeve.
Maybe there is a 9mm axle with a raised (10mm) press fit diameter. Can't seem to find anything on the net. Hate to give up on this hub already built on to some really nice old Matrix wheels.

Brass sleeve in the original bearing inner dia..

See standard 6000 series bearing
Old 06-14-11, 08:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Try Motion industries on Miller Park Way or WI Bearing on Pilgrim? & County line for a redi sleeve or brass sleeve.
https://www.timken.com/en-us/products...disleeves.aspx

If the bearing is loose in hub on the OD you could try a loctite bearing mount. I personally would probably try a strip of Al soda can shim first.
https://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CCgQ8wIwAA#
Old 06-14-11, 09:10 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Are the original brass shims unusable?

Maybe try some brass shim stock?
Old 06-14-11, 09:31 PM
Anthropy
Knotty Guy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to use some blue loctite on my Viscount front hub to keep the bearing in the hub from spinning after I pulled the bearings to inspect and re-grease them. So far they have not moved. Is your axle fully threaded with a threaded on stop to set the span of the bearings or do the axles have machined stops for the bearings? As was asked above, what happened to the existing axle spacer? Is it still in tact? Do you have pictures of your axle?

Also, your bearing number might come up as 6000 2RS. The 2RS refers to rubber seal, 2 sides. The 6000RS bearing is 10 ID x 26 OD x 8 width in mm, so the inner diameter is 10mm already and is most likely why they used a brass sleeve for the 9mm axle. You can find 9 x 26 x8 mm bearings (model #629-2RS).

https://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Tom

Last edited by Anthropy; 06-14-11 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 09:53 PM
OldRoadman

Bikes: 82 Trek 613 Sport Touring, 84 Lotus Classique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies! No, the inner sleeves cannot be removed or re-used. Sounds like this site might be the answer (https://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?) as I could not find any 9mm types. Perhaps loctite on the outer bearing might do the trick for the loose press fit. Also, some extra washers or spacers inside the jam nuts against the bearings to keep them from wandering outwards. Amazing that these bearings lasted 35 years! Thanks again!!

Bill