Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

What is my BikeE worth?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

What is my BikeE worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 08:30 AM
fishugly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is my BikeE worth?

Can't remember which model it is. It doesn't have suspension.

Any way, it has about 200 miles on it, a rear rack and is in great shape.

I purchased it new shortly after the company went under....in 2003, I think.

Any ideas how much I should ask for it?
Old 07-01-11, 09:45 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recumbents usually sell for more than a comparably equipped upright bike, but they are harder to find a buyer for.

I've seen BikeEs sell around here for anywhere from $300 to $700. You need to remember that the BikeE was a low-end 'bent, especially the non-suspension models.

With only 200 miles it should be in good shape. Ask $500 and see if you get any offers.
Likes For dcrowell:
Old 07-01-11, 11:03 AM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell
Recumbents usually sell for more than a comparably equipped upright bike, but they are harder to find a buyer for.

I've seen BikeEs sell around here for anywhere from $300 to $700. You need to remember that the BikeE was a low-end 'bent, especially the non-suspension models.

With only 200 miles it should be in good shape. Ask $500 and see if you get any offers.
Thanks. I wouldn't have thought I may be able to get that much for it. Due to BikeE going under, the shop I purchased it from had it on clearance. I believe the pre-clearance price was around $700 or more, if I remember correctly.

Any way, thanks again.
Old 07-01-11, 11:40 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fishugly
Thanks. I wouldn't have thought I may be able to get that much for it. Due to BikeE going under, the shop I purchased it from had it on clearance. I believe the pre-clearance price was around $700 or more, if I remember correctly.

Any way, thanks again.
You may have to take less than $500. It's worth what someone is willing to pay. If you goal is to sell it quickly, you'll probably have to drop the price.

I rode with a guy yesterday who was on a borrowed BikeE. He's car-free and broke his wrist. It was a full-suspension model, and he said it was like riding a waterbed.
Old 07-01-11, 12:52 PM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a chance to buy one about 5 years ago and I think the guy was asking 350 and it was one of the supposedly better ones. for what it is worth
Old 07-01-11, 12:54 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
You can find out which BikeE you have at the following website: www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/bike_e/bike_e.htm. The bike came in the following models - CT, AT, RX, FX, E2, NX and RoadE. I suspect you have the CT model as it had no suspension. I bought a used AT in 2001 for $700 and quickly replaced it because it was heavy and inefficient. Almost anyone could hop on it and ride off without any learning curve though. The SACHS hub broke a year or two later and I didn't consider it worth spending $300 to get a replacement rear wheel. I recently found a used hub for $25 and have actually resurrected it from the dead.

I hope you aren't unlucky enough to have one with the 27" tall BikeE "sweet seats". The CPSC recalled them and recommends you not use the bike. Of course, BikeE quickly went out of business before anyone could go after them for replacements. The information below comes from the Mr. Bicycleman website. He is a dealer in Alfred, NY. John Acres, major owner of BikeE, went on to produce the BigHa bikes but now that is defunct as well.

Soon after they strongly denied a rumor that they were going out of business BikeE suddenly went out of business. This left BikeE owners in a bind for some replacement parts. Some BikeE bikes were recalled (see BikeE safety recall information ) and now there is no company to ensure a permanent supply of these parts. We have the replacement BikeE Sweet Seat slider parts in stock. Now SRAM has announced that the 3x7 hub, found on all BikeE CT models "has not been made in 5 years and is obsolete." This means they will no longer make parts to maintain the CT model: hub parts, left grip shifters, shift cables, indicator chains etc will no longer be available. So take care of the shifter parts your CT has, they are not replaceable.
Old 07-01-11, 04:22 PM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, it's the CT. Thanks!
Old 07-08-11, 02:36 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's been a Bike E for sale in the Portland, OR Craigslist for several weeks now. They are asking $275. It's not in the best shape, but is low mileage. It's also listed on another classified site for $250.

Conversely, there's a couple of Visions also for sale; a 40 and a 45. They are asking $500 and $575 respectively. They've been listed for a few weeks and are both low mileage and in good shape.
Old 07-08-11, 02:48 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend of mine just sold a Rans Rocket (much nicer than a BikeE) for $450. I wish I would have had the extra money.
Old 07-09-11, 04:05 AM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There is an Sun Easy Sport CX for sale on San Diego Craigslist for $400.
Point is if you are patient you can find a decent recumbent for a very good price.
I almost bought a Bike E myself, but decided against it since the company is out of business and parts are hard to find.
Better to go with a bike that is current and can be fixed easily without scrounging for parts here and there.

Last edited by trestlehed; 07-09-11 at 04:10 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-09-11, 11:10 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd suggest $400 and taking the first $350 offer but know nothing about the market in your area.

Depending on your available time and inclination you might help your sales chances by careful cleaning and polishing followed by messing around as necessary to get an attractive picture. If would also help if you have the bike sitting in the garage all ready to go when a prospective buyer appears.
Old 07-10-11, 07:19 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
The thing to do with a Bike-E is travel to your nearest larger city MUP on Saturday mornings and ride up and down the MUP at 5-10 mph with a For Sale $500 sign front and back. Someone walking will stop you for a test ride and you'll be done. If a heavily used MUP is too far away, try to determine the primary walking route in your city and go there, perhaps a Saturday morning Farmer's market.
Old 07-11-11, 07:25 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

There has been a BikeE on our local Cragislist for exactly one month with an asking price of $500. Looks to be the CT model but the pictures aren't big enough to clearly see a rear shock if it was there. During the same time three other recumbents have appeared and disappeared from the advertisements.
Old 07-11-11, 08:09 PM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a regular peruser of used recumbent ads, most CT's (which was BikeE's bottom model) seem to be advertised for between $200 - $400. It all depends on how quickly you want to sell it.
Old 07-16-11, 07:58 AM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, all!
Old 07-17-17, 11:13 AM
cderose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike E CT - Alexandria, VA

Hello,
Do not know if this thread is still active...

I have a BikeE CT to sell.
Contact me for more photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BikeECT.jpg (44.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 07-17-17, 11:17 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by cderose
Hello,
Do not know if this thread is still active...

I have a BikeE CT to sell.
Contact me for more photos.
One Needs to be a PAID Member to Sell on Bike Forums.

https://www.bikeforums.net/payments.php

Old 07-17-17, 12:18 PM
VegasTriker

Sell it on CL locally. It is not worth the cost to have it shipped. BikeE recumbents are so common that they can be had nearly anywhere. Be sure to check the CPSC list of recalled models. They were recalled right around the time BikeE went out of business so your bike may be one of them and you would not want to imperil the life of the buyer would you? https://www.cpsc.gov/content/cpsc-bi...mbent-bicycles
Old 07-18-17, 08:50 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by fishugly
Thanks. I wouldn't have thought I may be able to get that much for it.
You probably won't get that much. In nice enough shape you might see $300. I think a brand new Bike-E CT went for around $695, and that was 15+ years ago.
Old 09-18-17, 01:56 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I just bought one this weekend. Not sure what year it is. The seller did not know. He was the second owner and never rode it. It is the regular wheelbase model with the air suspension in the back and the high seat backrest. Came with the bikeE bag for the seat, trip computer, the pump for the shock, small tool kit and tire pump. Has the internal Sachs/Sram 3x7 which I have been using on my other bike for over 20 years.
Just dusty and dry rotten tires with almost 100% thread on it. Plus the seat clamps are still the original recalled plastic clamps. But not broken yet. I already ordered the metal ones from Bicycleman.
It looks like the bike was barely ridden and was sitting in the garage for years. Kind of a barn find... lol
I paid $130 for it. I think that is an ok price. But I have also seen other versions here in Craigslist varying from $300 to $600. Too expensive for a bike which is at least 15 years old.
Old 10-11-17, 08:47 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i got one needing repair a few years back. $50. couldn't get on with it and donated it to the local bike co-op.