Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter clothing guide??

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter clothing guide??

Old 11-21-11, 06:54 AM
Project 999

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweating is just part of the game. Limiting that when commuting to work is the key. I use a breathable soft shoft jacket from KB Cyclewerks, Its called a Nordic CX Jacket, they're cheap and work well. I was in the same boat previously wearing a light wicking base layer a mid wool layer and then a wind shell. The wind shell didn't breath and by the time I got to work, I was wearing a fish tank. I know wear a long sleeve base layer under my KB jacket and that's it. I've now worn it in temperatures down to 8 degrees Farenheit and it works great. This year I also purchased a set of Bib knickers from them that have the same material on the front, but a lycra/fleece back. They work great even when its raining or snowing.
Old 11-21-11, 09:46 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think so. I'd make two points. First is that if you are not almost uncomfortably chilly the first 10-15min of your ride you are over dressed and will/should need to take off a layer once you are warmed up. Secondly, if your outer layer does not have an open weave/non windproof back side your sweat will stay inside your clothing and you will build up sweat no matter what you do if you are working hard. Up here in the North (it's -42F at my house today) we learn to either remove a lot of layers when we are working hard or keep our work output very low and work easy. At 24F I wear two or maybe three very thin poly pro underlayers with a shell that has a thin lining, windproof front and very breathable rear. I'm quite chilly when I take off then I warm up OK. Look for jackets that are pretty much just a shell or one with very minimal lining that are windproof only on the front. They are, in my opinion, key to winter riding unless you just want to pedal slowly from here to there without working up a sweat, which is an option for many communters but that's not how I roll. (ha! that's the first time I ever got to use that phrase in that manner! )
Old 11-22-11, 12:02 AM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I have had good luck with clothing made for cross-country (Nordic) skiing as well as with the winter cycling gear at MEC. Definitely it's all about *breathability* for me, especially in this climate. It's so dry that the instant you warm up you can end up with your own personal snow cloud inside your jacket if it's not vented enough!

Current Favourite Item: "Glide XC" ski mittens from MEC. They are wind resistant, lightly insulated, breathable mittens that kept my hands perfectly comfy in -22C on the weekend. They're flexible enough that I'm sure you could work most types of shifters with them on.

That was after I gave my Planet Bike "Borealis" gloves one final chance and damn nearly gave myself frostbite (right thumb still hurts 3 days later). Those gloves are now in the trash bin. Grr. (I can't deal with Gore-Tex. I just end up feeling clammy in it, no matter what).
Old 11-24-11, 09:19 AM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bonehead
A nice white thong and some flip-flops for anything over 5 degrees.
OK. I will write this down.

I fear, I fear I may have to give up my clipless pedals for winter stuff......my selection of shoes is just not,,,insulated.
Old 11-24-11, 09:26 AM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Mother told me when she was younger, she rode from home to work on freezing cold snow pack, (In the 40's) she had a kerosene lantern hanging over the handle bars. And she wore a dress. Thats tuff.
I never tried to ride with a lantern, but when walking the dog, they are nice.
Old 11-27-11, 10:38 PM
Drummerboy1975

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
So is it a bad idea to cycle in jogging pants or any pants?
Old 11-28-11, 08:24 AM
zepphead80
nutella junkie

Bikes: Cannondale Criterium C600

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975
I bike in running tights basically all winter, with zero, one, or - if it's in the teens - two layers of thermal tights underneath. One can very well get insulated bike tights; but since I am also a runner I prefer to buy things that I can reasonably utilize across multiple activities. I see a lot of people riding in loose running pants, and I guess there isn't anything wrong with that. It's just not my personal preference.
Old 11-28-11, 10:25 AM
Drummerboy1975

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zepphead80
I bike in running tights basically all winter, with zero, one, or - if it's in the teens - two layers of thermal tights underneath. One can very well get insulated bike tights; but since I am also a runner I prefer to buy things that I can reasonably utilize across multiple activities. I see a lot of people riding in loose running pants, and I guess there isn't anything wrong with that. It's just not my personal preference.
I guess my biggest concern is getting them cought in your crank or chain, not being fashonable.
Old 11-28-11, 12:59 PM
zepphead80
nutella junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess my biggest concern is getting them cought in your crank or chain, not being fashonable.
That's why I like wearing the tights. They have a very snug and streamlined fit. They do take a certain getting used to though. My first winter I wore thermals with shorts over them because I didn't feel confident about how I would look in the tights. Once I got over that though it was great. I think whatever you choose, you simply have to not care about what everyone else thinks.
Old 11-28-11, 01:35 PM
Drummerboy1975

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
That's why I like wearing the tights. They have a very snug and streamlined fit. They do take a certain getting used to though. My first winter I wore thermals with shorts over them because I didn't feel confident about how I would look in the tights. Once I got over that though it was great. I think whatever you choose, you simply have to not care about what everyone else thinks.
Very true about not caring what others think. I'm still trying to convence my wife that I need a helmet. She says that I'm going to look like a dork in one. I said, well I'd rather look like a dork than having you wiping my arse because I'm paralized from the neck down!
Old 11-28-11, 01:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
That's where the skinny jeans come in.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-28-11, 08:26 PM
billyb0b115

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being new to cycling, this is my first winter season. Weather dropping to mid 40s-50s (I know... I don't have it as bad as others). I'm also recently unemployed so I've been trying to be as cost efficient as possible. Some stuff I know I must put out the extra $$$ for better quality (learned the hard way).

As I was reading through the thread I did see quite a few sites, but some still too expensive for me. What's a good site to purchase winter gear on a budget?
Old 11-28-11, 09:15 PM
trevor_ash
Happy go lucky

Bikes: 2010 Nagasawa (Track), EAI Bareknuckle (Track), Custom Jonny Cycles (Track), 90's Eddy Merckx (Road), 2002 Colnago Tecnos, 200? Felt F60 (Road), 1992 Schwinn Paramount Series 3 (Road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billyb0b115
Being new to cycling, this is my first winter season. Weather dropping to mid 40s-50s (I know... I don't have it as bad as others). I'm also recently unemployed so I've been trying to be as cost efficient as possible. Some stuff I know I must put out the extra $$$ for better quality (learned the hard way).

As I was reading through the thread I did see quite a few sites, but some still too expensive for me. What's a good site to purchase winter gear on a budget?
Target and Walmart actually have some affordable stuff that works. REI has more selection, higher quality, but a tad more expensive. Basically, stop looking for bike specific clothes and BAM! instant money savings.
Old 11-28-11, 10:18 PM
Shinjukan
Enthusiast

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Sportif One.0, 2011 Cannondale Synapse 6

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Try checking out your nearest factory outlet and see if they have the big sports outfit companies like Nike, Adidas, UA, etc. Also check your local Sports Authority or Dick's and see if they still have some cycling stuff on clearance.
Old 11-28-11, 10:42 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
When I am teaching our annual winter cycling classes I always tell people who are looking at riding in the winter that they probably have much of what they need hanging in their closets or tucked in their drawers and that one does not have to spend a lot on specialized cycling gear to stay warm and comfortable in the winter.

I prefer a layered approach and do not own a winter jacket despite my location... a base layer plus an insulating layer (or two) and a windproof and waterproof shell pretty much covers it all and also remind people to avoid cotton as it loses all it's insulating properties when it is wet and does not have many to start with.

Wool can be your best friend as it is an excellent insulator that also stays warm when wet.

Follow my link on winter cycling and you will find a lot more information there.
Old 11-29-11, 10:37 AM
zepphead80
nutella junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everyone has great points here.

If you do other activities, I'll say it again...target your buying to accommodate multiple activities. I also run and backpack. For backpacking I invested in a lot of SmartWool (socks and shirts) - which have also become integral to my winter riding experience. SmartWool is expensive, but it will last. You can also wear it days on end without it smelling. Similarly, a pair of Nike running shorts that I bought was what I hiked in all summer, and with the addition of a pair of padded underwear from Nashbar...biked in all summer. Again, Nike isn't the cheapest option out there, but with all the use the shorts have seen they have not worn out one bit.

Truthfully, if you're riding in 40's and 50's there won't be that much specialized clothing required. You can get away with shorts in the 50's, and in the 40's put on a lightweight set of thermals under the shorts. Want cheap but good thermal tights? Check out the Heattech line from Uniqlo. I'm lucky to have access to two Uniqlo stores here in NYC, but you can probably find them online.
Old 12-01-11, 03:30 PM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Bikes: QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EdgewaterDude
Hey guys, I have question.

I've noticed that my core is overheating like a mofo. Even in 24 degree weather, I'm still sweating like nobody's business. My base layer is a short sleeved Champion C9 wicking shirt. My mid layer is a Mission Workshop Bosun Merino wool midweight jacket https://missionworkshop.com/products/...wool-bosun.php. On the outside, I'm wearing a North Face wind/water resistant "windbreaker", which is lined on the inside but lets ZERO heat/sweat escape.

Is my outer layer the problem? Should I be wearing a thinner windbreaker? If so, how cold could a mesh lined windbreaker plus midweight merino jacket plus polypro base layer take me?
I bike to below zero with a Illuminite rain jacket over similar base and mid-layers. The jacket has a rear-vent and loooong pit-zips that stay open. It is a non-breathable jacket, so the vents are needed. If it had no vents, I would be super-wet after my commute with just a base-layer under it at 20 degrees.
Old 12-23-11, 10:24 AM
ultimattfrisbee

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Xenith Race, 2009 Jamis Aurora, 1993 Bianchi Ibex, 1964 Schwinn Traveler 3-Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonehead
A nice white thong and some flip-flops for anything over 5 degrees.
Mesh or capilene thong? Don't leave out the important stuff!
Old 12-23-11, 10:32 AM
ultimattfrisbee

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Xenith Race, 2009 Jamis Aurora, 1993 Bianchi Ibex, 1964 Schwinn Traveler 3-Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goalieMN
I bike to below zero with a Illuminite rain jacket over similar base and mid-layers. The jacket has a rear-vent and loooong pit-zips that stay open. It is a non-breathable jacket, so the vents are needed. If it had no vents, I would be super-wet after my commute with just a base-layer under it at 20 degrees.
I wear a Showers Pass jacket similar to the one goalieMN has--pit vents that zip and a rear vent. If it's very cold, I'll start with the pit vents closed, but by the first significant hill, I unzip them at least half-way. The sleeve cuffs have velcro tabs so you can open them up and get air flow through the arms of the jacket. I can ride this way for hours and, if I'm not bone dry, I'm just a tiny bit damp. It makes [U]a tremendous[U] difference. It's also bright yellow with reflective trim, so it's an added safety feature. I wear it over a double capilene (two shirts) down to about 25 F. or so, with one long sleeve capeline up to 40 or a little higher, and, if it's gonna be a little wet, over a short sleeve dri-fit type shirt if it's around 50 (I don't own any cycling specific jerseys at the moment).

Do yourself a favor and invest in a cycling jacket like this.
Old 01-02-12, 03:38 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trevor_ash
Target and Walmart actually have some affordable stuff that works. REI has more selection, higher quality, but a tad more expensive. Basically, stop looking for bike specific clothes and BAM! instant money savings.
+1

But also, put them on a birthday/Christmas list(I don't know if your age so, I don't know if you still celebrate your birthday) or religion(if you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah or Kwanza, etc.).

Out of the blue, (I am 44)my father gave me two pairs of cycling shorts and a pair of cycling pants, yesterday. Not as a Christmas present but, he said he hadn't worn them in years. The last time I saw him ride a bike was 25yrs. ago when he had a 10-speed road bike.

My only problem with them(which I will have to figure an answer to, since I 'never look a gift horse in the mouth') is in terms of having to use a restroom. Presently I make a mini aerobic workout of my layers since I have tshirt-shorts-sweatshirt-sweatpants. When need to remove them.
Old 01-02-12, 03:42 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel the same way. I will just work on getting used to them.
Old 01-03-12, 06:30 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Sometimes you'll see good prices at Sierra Trading Post. They have decent stuff there. I got a lot of my winter gear there. Cabelas and LL Bean too. LL Bean has good socks. You want to splurge on socks.
Old 01-08-12, 09:25 PM
ultimattfrisbee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite pants to ride in are Reebok light running pants. I have two pair, which seems to be enough as it is, though I might buy a third. They block wind reasonably well and breathe reasonably well. Are comfortable as my only layer (not including underwear or shorts) from low 50s to mid 20s, and are tapered at the bottom with a zipper so they are not a danger to get caught in the crank, but since they aren't tights, they look fine if I have errands to run or want to stop and have a casual lunch or something. They also have some reflectivity built in.

If it's wet or colder, I will usually go with some wind and waterproof pants from O2 that are very breathable. If it's wet and very cold, I'll wear the O2 pants over Thermasilk long underwear. Wore this for about an hour in 15 F and snow and was plenty comfortable.

Don't own a pair of biking tights. Not against them, but what I have is working great for me.
Old 10-09-12, 08:50 AM
BornInThe80s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello.
Last winter I really enjoyed riding my bike to school, but I was not prepared for it for 100%. This winter I would like to step my clothing game up I did some research and I would like to know your opinions/experiences with ECWCS parkas made of 3-layer nylon material. It's suitable for winter riding? Temperature in winter is about 14 - 32 F (-10 °C - 0 °C). Will ECWCS parka work well with fleece jacket under it? What pros and cons have ECWCS parkas? I am student, som my financial situation isn't that good and price of ECWS looks very reasonable to me.
Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to riding my bike in winter
Old 10-12-12, 12:38 PM
ephin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My trusty Cannondale jacket finally bit the dust (see my 2/2011 post). Have had a heck of a time finding a jacket that breathes as well (ie allows my sweat to evaporate). After several failed jacket attempts (some expensive), I finally tried a vest and am now sold (I never much cared for the vest look before, hence never trying one). I can just layer up underneath based on temp. If it warms up alot, it's small enough to easily stuff in a rear jersey pocket. I already have a bunch of long sleeve jerseys and baselayers. If only I had tried this first! Now what do I do with all those barely worn jackets?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.