Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Riding clothes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Riding clothes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 04:28 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Whoever invented the 3 pocket jersey is a genius.
One of my big shocks at getting back into cycling is that the jerseys were ONLY 3 pockets. Back in the 70's I was always used to 5: The three in the back, and two at mid chest level on the front.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-26-09, 04:31 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
(I'm obviously bored this morning)

I am becoming a SPD convert, even though the majority of my clipless bikes are Look Delta/Arc. The Shimano A520's are the cat's ass. And, I agree about being able to walk. It's an avocational hazard.
I've gotten very enamored with what I seeing are called "campus" pedals: SPD clips on one side, plain old platforms on the other. They've become mandatory on my touring bikes, since the tourers are what are called into service for urban errand running. Even if I'm riding SPD cleat in my shoes on a long haul, I still like the ability to unclip one pedal while climbing a nasty hill while I'm exhausted. Should I feel the need to stop and walk, it's easy to put my foot down.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-26-09, 06:38 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
To answer your second question (re: handlebar tape) :

I almost exclusively use fizik tape or Cinelli cork.

As far as riding attire goes...

Warmer weather: in training rides/longer rides/fun rides: lycra bike shorts with a pair of baggy technical shorts on top, technical SS top; in tri races: tri suit
Cold weather: Technical tights under bike shorts, technical LS top, technical jacket
(Pretty much the same stuff I use for running, with the addition of the bike shorts)
Old 11-26-09, 06:47 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
Spandex shorts, anything on sale except Ascent (the pad isn't sewn well, and you get to moving around, thinking your saddle's coming off).

In lieu of jerseys in the summer, "technical" or "dri-fit" t-shirts from Ross Dress for Less, usually $10.

After that, I layer up in whatever won't get caught in the chain, something with a sleeve I can wipe my nose on.

I wear a lot of running gear when I layer up, since I already have it from years of running. I'm a big Gore-Tex fan.

I just want spandex next to me and something fairly windproof on the outside. I like a Lands End anorak for that.

I never wear gloves, but I do wear mittens, running mitten "shells" from the old Moss Brown store in Georgetown, DC.

Bandanas under the helmet if it's cold, and a stretchy band over my ears.

And a smile.
Old 11-26-09, 08:32 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
I like the spandex bibs and cycling jerseys in warm weather. Guess I belong in the roadie forum. Just can't be beat for comfort on longer rides. I don't really have enough cold weather gear, but I have to chuckle at the guys riding around with billowing jackets. I need all the help I can get, and dragging a parachute ain't it.

Now for shorter rides I am going to go with some sandals and SPD pedals come the spring.

And I have cotton bar tape on some of my vintage rides, but truth be told cork and gel-cork are a lot more comfortable and are on the Ergo equipped bikes.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 11-26-09 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-26-09, 08:40 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Quite a response from you guys. In my letter to Santa I've requested a Brooks B17 champion saddle in Honey and a pair of riding shorts, so we'll see what happens. It sounds like if you're going to wear bibs, commando is pretty much a requirement? I went for a ride today and was having some "issues" that I would like to eliminate (part of that might be just adjusting the saddle which is an old Brooks b68). Thanks for the replies!

Oh, and Robbie, I couldn't agree more about wearing a smile while riding. It seems to make the hills a little less steep

Last edited by RobE30; 11-26-09 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-26-09, 08:47 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3101 Post(s)
Liked 6,644 Times in 3,806 Posts
Originally Posted by RobE30
It sounds like if you're going to wear bibs, commando is pretty much a requirement?
Yes.
Old 11-26-09, 08:51 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....and regular "tight" riding shorts?

Oh, and when I started this thread, I was not trying to divide anyone btwn spandex or "old school" riding garb. I just wanted to know which way is the best to go as I get deeper into riding.
Old 11-26-09, 08:52 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I suit up in the lycra for most of my rides. Most of my riding in the year is commuting so I have lycra shorts or bibs with homemade BDU knickers over them or an padded set of Hoss riding baggy knickers. I usually wear a cycling jersey (lycra or wool) as well. For longer road rides I will usually skip the knickers and wear the full roadie kit. When the temps get colder I add layers of wool to keep myself nice and toasty.

I didn't usually were cycling jerseys that much because I generally hated the fit. I have bought a few over the past years that I like the fit and always were them because the rear pockets are very handy while riding.
Old 11-26-09, 09:20 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After 20+ years of being anti-cycling clothes (I associated it with thinking one is too serious, too fast, or whatever) and generally wearing layers when it's cold and thick flannel boxers whenever I thought of it to ride, I became more open-minded over the last year and a half as I started riding more, riding longer distances without really stopping (used to maybe ride all day, but stopping here & there throughout), and somehow losing patience for carrying a backpack or something like that. Basically, aesthetics or prejudices aside, typical clothes today are practical in terms of comfort & function. I'm not a big fan of costumes - whether it's for jumping on a Harley to ride, or a road bike, or a fixie - but I have matured (maybe) to appreciate practicality in whatever form it takes. Oh...and fwiw, I'm now looking into getting a day-glow yellow light jacket for riding when there's likely to be lots of traffic....those things hurt my eyes to look at close-up, but darned if I can always see them when I'm driving a car and a cyclist has one on.
Old 11-26-09, 09:22 PM
Shadowex3

Bikes: Kuwahara Aries

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh, and when I started this thread, I was not trying to divide anyone btwn spandex or "old school" riding garb. I just wanted to know which way is the best to go as I get deeper into riding.
Unless you're allergic to the materials or just absolutely cannot stand skintight clothing (like me) to the best of my knowledge proper compression clothing will give you a noticeable if not necessarily substantial mechanical advantage. Something to do with muscle vibration or somesuch, I assume the usual sources would have more information.

If you do decide you don't like tight stuff though you're not completely out of the game for modern stuffs, my biking shirt is a non-elastic moisture wicking sport shirt that fits like a nice breathable slightly baggy tshirt. Just don't go too baggy, like someone said further up once you get past a certain point you're basically wearing a parachute. I have actually been yanked off of my bike before when a strong wind catches my jacket.
Old 11-26-09, 09:30 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,100 Times in 645 Posts
Thanks for the link. My old Nike Air indoor shoes are on their last legs, and I've not been able to find anything suitable to replace them.

I usually wear proper modern cycling attire while road riding, and either SPD or Look pedals. I sometimes go for the vintage look, but those old acrylic jerseys are the pits, and I don't agree with wool. Have a could bikes set up with clips, and will ride them wearing whatever seems appropriate for the conditions.

Originally Posted by gomango
I also use MKS Sylvan touring pedals on two bikes. I insist on comfy shoes for biking and soccer. We are a soccer obsessed household and I play indoor soccer. I use these Nikes indoors on turf and and for riding.

https://www.amazon.com/Tiempo-Natural.../dp/B002HX2LC8

Cheap and stiff enough for me.
Old 11-26-09, 09:46 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
It sounds like if you're going to wear bibs, commando is pretty much a requirement?
Not just bib shorts, regular lycra cycling shorts too. You never wear underwear with them.
Old 11-26-09, 09:53 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
Oh...and fwiw, I'm now looking into getting a day-glow yellow light jacket for riding when there's likely to be lots of traffic....those things hurt my eyes to look at close-up, but darned if I can always see them when I'm driving a car and a cyclist has one on.
Yes! I have one that I wear for late afternoon/sunset/twilight rides. It's ugly as hell, but glows like Technicolor. Better to be a live Fred than dead "contender." All of my cycling jerseys, whether bike specific or generic sports shirts, are bright red, yellow or orange. I want to be seen. Even with that, I have more close calls than I would like.
Old 11-26-09, 10:12 PM
RFC

Yes, you want them tight, or just to the tight side of comfortable, both to provide logistical support and to avoid bagging in the seat that can catch on the nose of the saddle.
Old 11-26-09, 10:23 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts

I started riding this year and because of finances I have worn a pair of climbing shorts with speedos or running shorts underneath. I covered about 150 miles per week this Summer and had not problems since I learned how to sit on the seat properly. I would like to try some padded shorts, but I like having pockets for a knife and cell phone. I am thinking that a padded liner might be the ticket.
Old 11-26-09, 10:43 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Nah. You can wear longer sports (technical) boxer briefs.
Old 11-26-09, 11:02 PM
strop

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back in the early eighties I rode with Lcyra shorts and shirt and so when I started up riding again one of the first things I did was get some new gear, and settled on Performance Elite shorts from PBK and various Lycra tops from PBK, Castelli, Canari and Aerotech, all $30 or less. Of all of them the Aerotech are probably the best, plain but nice fit, long and under $25.

I used to ride with Avocet carbon fibre pedals and straps but I ditched those for a set of Ultegra 6610 pedals I got for $40 on fleaBay, and for $25 got some Shimano R076 shoes. Overall I wouldn't be without the gear as it makes riding so much more comfortable even for my 10 mile each way commute, but on longer rides it's just invaluable.

Some of the stuff is pretty tight fitting so if you're carrying a few extra pounds I could see why some people wouldn't be too keen. Winter hit here soon after I started riding so I added a Pearl Izumi Climaguard jacket that I got off fleaBay and some half finger gloves (warmer gloves will be required soon).

My oldest son (seven) summed up my cool new look with the jacket and gloves. He said, "Dad, you look like a homeless person." I've since decided to put his college fund towards my next CF frame :-D
Old 11-26-09, 11:10 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by strop
My oldest son (seven) summed up my cool new look with the jacket and gloves. He said, "Dad, you look like a homeless person." I've since decided to put his college fund towards my next CF frame :-D
Good move.

With tights and the yellow or orange jerseys, I get the Killer Bee jokes from my relatives.
Old 11-27-09, 12:30 AM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
There are different types of clothes to wear for different types of riding, riding conditions, personal preferences with regard to comfort, and the like. Spandex clothing never fit my riding needs, so I've never worn it. If I was doing long distance club riding I probably would have at least given it a try. The idea of the cycling jerseys with the rear pockets do make quite a bit of sense to me.
I agree that the types of clothing worn depends entirely on the type of the ride. When at home pedaling around the neighborhood, no bike clothes, but if I'm going to take a 10-20 mile "workout" ride at lunch I'll put on full gear and go all out. Back to my job, a quick shower, then back to work. I wouldn't go to the gym for a workout and wear anything but clothes made for the workout I'm looking for, and as others have mentioned cycling shorts and jerseys are made to do just what they do...make you more comfortable on a serious ride, not to mention the flashy jerseys make you much more visible than a plain t-shirt.

On the side note, I like the Velo-Orange stitch on Elkhide Bar covers, they are more comfortable than they look, and classy besides.
Old 11-27-09, 01:28 AM
Shadowex3

Bikes: Kuwahara Aries

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the visibility note, you don't necessarily need to go with a color of jersey you hate. Most people are familiar with technicolor retro-reflective tape but you can get yarn now too. Even a few strands of that stuff crossing your back will look like you're in Tron at night. That's my new solution for backpacks that tape keeps peeling off of.

Last edited by Shadowex3; 11-27-09 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-27-09, 01:39 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And clipless, too.

For "just a quick ride" in street clothes/shoes, the 820 Antelope is the bike.
Old 11-27-09, 03:19 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 1,759 Times in 944 Posts
Summer is jeans, a T-Shirt, mountain bike clip-in shoes, half finger padded road gloves, cork tape and sometimes my Canadian Tire bicycle jacket. In the winter, all of the above plus one or two wool sweaters, a balaclava, and winter boots. I do have one pair of hand me down lycra riding shorts that I wear for longer rides in the country.

That old Peugeot, called "Poor Boy" by me and my grandson, sees lots of less than perfect riding conditions and keeps me in the saddle when I should be indoors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SS_PoorBoy_Me_3.jpg (99.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-27-09, 06:18 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
I forgot to mention earlier, if I'm riding much more casually, but on a road bike, I have a couple pair of MTB shorts that look pretty much like casual shorts, and I forego the jerseys, etc. I also have some of the Performance biking underwear, and that works great, but the seams on regular shorts will tend to "make you notice" in the long run, and they get shiny in the saddle area after about 100 miles.
Old 11-27-09, 08:55 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,409 Times in 2,064 Posts
For my 25 RT commute in Summer weather it's lycra bike shorts,some wicking tee, work safety vest, bike socks, tennis shoes. If it's warm I skip the shirt. This time of year it's some poly-pro/capilene/smartwool long sleeve with my bellweather jacket, bike shorts, Craft XC ski pants, wool socks, and an old pair of timberland boots. I've taped over some of the vents in my helmet, usually wear a ear band and neck gaiter in the morning. Gloves vary depending on temps. Short neighborhood rides W/my 10YO it's usually whatever I'm wearing.

I have some Specialized tape on my road bars, ergon grips on the hybrid, and Harris repro Dare grips on my Raleigh Sprite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.