Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aluminium frame bent after accident

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 08:36 AM
fruitappel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Yesterday morning, on the commute to work, I was hit pretty hard on the rear of my bike. The car hit me on the rear hub from the side. Thank god I'm okay; I have some pain in the ribcage/arm and bruised fingers. Anyway, the bike seemed not too bad at first, but I couldn't cycle on it anymore because the rear wheel was stuck to the frame. I thought it would be the rear wheel that's bent, but at home, I took out the wheel, and it was fine. Now, looking from straight behind the bike, I noticed the whole rear end of the bike is off, bent to the right side (was hit from the left).

Is this beyond repair? It is an aluminum frame. I bought the bike brand new in December 2023 (a month ago)... Sorry, I did not take off the rear rack; I want to leave it the way it is for now until I have settled with insurance and such. I hope I can make a claim against the car driver. It is really the frame thats bended, not the rear rack.

Old 01-09-24, 08:58 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 415 Posts
I’m not a frame builder, but I’d guess that it probably could be bent back into proper shape. But it’s probably never going to be like new, or unnoticeable. One of the things I’d really be concerned about are unnoticeable cracks, especially at the welds. Maybe something you should have checked/evaluated by a professional frame builder. But otherwise, I would think money for a new bike would be coming your way from the driver’s insurance company. That is if the driver was cited, and you or the police got the driver’s information. You could check with the company to see if they’re going to reimburse you for the bike.
Edited to add: Glad you’re OK.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-09-24 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-09-24, 09:29 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 392 Posts
If it was steel, likely repairable. Being that it’s aluminum I would definitely consider it unsafe to try and bend back.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 01-09-24, 09:31 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
I don't offer Al frame realigning due to the chance of cracks developing. You are now suffering the cost of the "feature" of an AL frame. Welcome to the disposable bike frame business model.

If this bike was bought new the brand might have a crash replacement policy to reduce replacement cost. If bought used, sorry but no consumer consideration is likely to be offered. While this time of the year generally has the least number of used bikes for sale the ability to bargain with a seller is greater than during the spring/summer. If the right used bike were available the two bikes could be merged into one that has the better parts and wear condition.

Glad to hear that you're basically OK. I take it no incident report was made with the local police? If you did report, and if you were in the right, the car driver's insurance might be a source of reimbursement. Andy
Old 01-09-24, 09:36 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3245 Post(s)
Liked 2,093 Times in 1,185 Posts
You cannot bend aluminum without heat treating it. As told to me by Klein bicycles way back. I’d say the frame is toast.
Old 01-09-24, 09:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
You'll spend more money trying to have it fixed than the bike is worth. And few people at a bike shop are going to want to deal with a frame that is really bent.

Hopefully the driver of the other vehicle realizes that they are responsible for whatever your states laws are for damage to the property of another. You bike is in most places a vehicle too under the law. You also should check with your insurance agent or agents. They might actually cover some of your loss if the other person doesn't pay for their mistake.

Especially check if you have a automobile insurance policy. Your bike might be covered under some of the various clauses for damage from another motor vehicle. For theft or loss from a fire, many times a homeowners policy will cover it. But all insurance companies vary on this. You never know unless you ask.

New bike you bought with a credit card? Check with the card issuer and see what benefits they may offer for loss/damage of something that new.
Old 01-09-24, 10:13 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 415 Posts
Apparently the OP is located in the Netherlands…base on his few posts previous to this one. It sounds like he was really enjoying his new ride. I dunno what the laws are there. I just hope that a police reports was filed, the driver identified, and that the OP will received some compensation for the damaged bike.

Dan
Old 01-09-24, 10:50 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
hope your aches and pains heal quickly and if the driver was in error, you get your bike replaced by them soon.
Old 01-09-24, 11:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
If it was steel, likely repairable. Being that it’s aluminum I would definitely consider it unsafe to try and bend back.
Even if that were steel, it would not be worth repairing.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’m not a frame builder, but I’d guess that it probably could be bent back into proper shape. But it’s probably never going to be like new, or unnoticeable. One of the things I’d really be concerned about are unnoticeable cracks, especially at the welds. Maybe something you should have checked/evaluated by a professional frame builder. But otherwise, I would think money for a new bike would be coming your way from the driver’s insurance company. That is if the driver was cited, and you or the police got the driver’s information. You could check with the company to see if they’re going to reimburse you for the bike.
Edited to add: Glad you’re OK.

Dan
Nope. It’s done. Time to send it off to that big aluminum can factory in the sky!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-09-24, 11:10 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Ooooff. Still in the excited phase of a new bike. That's his new tour bike, $1,900 Triban. Insurance owes him a new frame. Looks to be too small anyway, IMO. It just isn't the right bike for hauling either, half fenders and all.
Likely any bike frame would have been totaled. But still, steel is real. My heavyweight took a 3 mph hit in the same area from both a Honda 150 in Saigon and a sporty car doing a R turn. The car got a broken plastic bumper and I got a temporarily bent kick stand. LOL. Bike jumped up a couple inches, but I did NOT even fall over either hit. The MC actually hit me right on the chain stay where the Rohloff brace arm is.
Old 01-09-24, 11:56 AM
fruitappel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I have contacted a lawyer, and it seems that in the Netherlands, if you are a cyclist or pedestrian involved in a traffic accident with a motorized vehicle, you have significant rights. I should, at the very least, get 50% of my damages covered by the car driver's insurance. I will go to a bike shop tomorrow to have them check the damage for the insurance.

@GamblerGORD53, yes, that was the new bike I just bought and posted about on the forums. I paid €1200 last month.

Can't wait to be done with all this and have a working bike again ...
Likes For fruitappel:
Old 01-09-24, 02:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
If it were mine, and all my own doing, I might take a shot at saving it.

But that's highly qualified, and fortunately shouldn't apply here. If none was filed, immediately file an accident report and open a claim against the driver claiming the bike as a total loss.

Also, add some fair compensation for your injuries. If you're not greedy, the total claim will be small enough that the insurer will want to close it out quickly. In the event that they only want to pay depreciated value for the bike, the injury portion should make up the difference.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-09-24 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-09-24, 03:19 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
50% ? I’d have thought in a bike friendly place like the Netherlands you’d be looking at 100%

If someone crashed into your car you wouldn’t expect them to only cover half the repair.
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-09-24, 03:28 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 383 Posts
Sucks to be hit.
But you're getting a new frame.
Old 01-09-24, 03:35 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
So is it like in the US and they total the bike you can buy it back at a steep discount?
Virtually new component parts salvaged from paying scrap price for it may have some value to you. Would to me. Stick them on another frame and have a cheap bike with new parts.
Around here an insurance company does want to screw around disposing of a small item. I did that with a stolen lawn tractor. They literally told me just keep it after it was recovered. Still in use today at my rental
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-09-24, 05:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
50% ? I’d have thought in a bike friendly place like the Netherlands you’d be looking at 100%

If someone crashed into your car you wouldn’t expect them to only cover half the repair.
I don't know about the Netherlands, but in the USA you'd only be entitled to the lesser of actual repair cost or the depreciated value of a total loss, with insurer getting salvage value.

If it were a 3yr old 25,000 car, the most would be blue book value, which us why they often total cars with body damage to multiple panels.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-09-24, 06:29 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 176 Posts
OK to settle for somewhat less than replacement cost. Buy the same bike. Keep all the old components as spares. Mess around with the frame if you want but don't spend a ton on it.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 01-10-24, 03:21 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I don't know about the Netherlands, but in the USA you'd only be entitled to the lesser of actual repair cost or the depreciated value of a total loss, with insurer getting salvage value.

If it were a 3yr old 25,000 car, the most would be blue book value, which us why they often total cars with body damage to multiple panels.
Yeah if it’s a write-off here in the UK then the same applies afaik.
Old 01-10-24, 06:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Granted it has been a number of years since I was hit by a car on a bicycle but the bicycle was not depreciated. I was paid full replacement cost. Bicycles are usually a fraction of the cost of a vehicle and insurance companies may to settle at replacement value to avoid court cases with a sympathetic victim.

Yes, that is the way most cars work. However, modern cars use unibody construction which means that bending of the body compromises the integrity since the frame and body are the same. It would cost too much to fix.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-10-24, 10:37 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by fruitappel
Yesterday morning, on the commute to work, I was hit pretty hard on the rear of my bike. The car hit me on the rear hub from the side. Thank god I'm okay; I have some pain in the ribcage/arm and bruised fingers. Anyway, the bike seemed not too bad at first, but I couldn't cycle on it anymore because the rear wheel was stuck to the frame. I thought it would be the rear wheel that's bent, but at home, I took out the wheel, and it was fine. Now, looking from straight behind the bike, I noticed the whole rear end of the bike is off, bent to the right side (was hit from the left).

Is this beyond repair? It is an aluminum frame. I bought the bike brand new in December 2023 (a month ago)... Sorry, I did not take off the rear rack; I want to leave it the way it is for now until I have settled with insurance and such. I hope I can make a claim against the car driver. It is really the frame thats bended, not the rear rack.
Agreeing with other posters that if the frame is that bent, it is done for. The only hope is that after removing the rack you see that the frame is OK and it was just a bent rack. And per other comments, it seems whoever rammed you should pay for this. Such a shame to have a one-month old bike be damaged beyond repair. If you could find a cheap frame, you could swap the components and that would be cheaper than a new bike.
Old 01-11-24, 03:13 AM
anga

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
If this is a Decathlon bike, frames may be available.
Check with cycle service in nearest store.
Old 01-11-24, 01:58 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Granted it has been a number of years since I was hit by a car on a bicycle but the bicycle was not depreciated. I was paid full replacement cost. Bicycles are usually a fraction of the cost of a vehicle and insurance companies may to settle at replacement value to avoid court cases with a sympathetic victim.

Yes, that is the way most cars work. However, modern cars use unibody construction which means that bending of the body compromises the integrity since the frame and body are the same. It would cost too much to fix.
I understand that if the airbags go off, the car is normally totaled, due to the unibody construction

Old 01-11-24, 07:05 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo

Don't know about the UK, but here insurance does not necessarily cover all repairs, in fact, cars are routinely "totaled" and you get fair market value, not replacement, AND, in some states, there is "no fault" each party's insurance covers their own, and no NHS, Dental is good though...