Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I was reading an article recently

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 12:49 PM
justblues

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

about whether bicycle riding should be legal on a particular road. There were some interesting comments after the article, but one that particularly caught my eye and had me scratching my head said something like "it is legal but I wish it wasn't. Not enough bicycle riders are nice enough to share the road." Wait, so she doesn't want to share the road but bicycle riders "aren't nice enough to share the road." hmmmm
Old 04-07-15, 01:39 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I dislike the share the road concept as it seems to me like too many motorist think sharing the road means bicycles are fee to use the road as long as they stay out of my way. I prefer that we are all free to use the road as a concept.
Old 04-07-15, 02:00 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by justblues
about whether bicycle riding should be legal on a particular road. There were some interesting comments after the article, but one that particularly caught my eye and had me scratching my head said something like "it is legal but I wish it wasn't. Not enough bicycle riders are nice enough to share the road." Wait, so she doesn't want to share the road but bicycle riders "aren't nice enough to share the road." hmmmm
LOL I had to re-read this twice to understand your point. Wait, Doesn't she mean, some cyclists' are not nice enough? That she can pass them in the same lane without having to move over, or even cross the double-yellow line?(sarcasm, not real question)

Originally Posted by howsteepisit
I dislike the share the road concept as it seems to me like too many motorists' think sharing the road means bicycles are free to use the road as long as they stay out of my way. I prefer that we are all free to use the road as a concept.
+10000

There are signs that went up in my state saying "(bike symbol) may use full lane". But motorists' could care less. They behave just like you said.
Old 04-07-15, 02:03 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think that "share the road" is a sound concept, people just need to be educated that sharing means having a willingness to give, not an expectation to take.
Old 04-07-15, 02:05 PM
justblues

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
exactly. While I know that there are plenty of bicyclists that do not show proper road courtesy, the feeling I get is that the commenter's idea of a bicyclist being "nice enough to share" means to get out of her way regardless of the situation and the law.
Old 04-07-15, 02:13 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yep, too many people think <Bike Symbol> "Share The Road" is directed to cyclists only, and that it means cyclists must get out of their way.

And it's Share The ROAD, not Share The Lane. Roads are first-come, first-served. I was here first, thank you. You can change lanes and safely pass and be on your way. If you encounter a motorist driving slowly, you change lanes and pass and be on your way. You should do the same with cyclists.

It doesn't help, though, when cyclists cower over at the road edge, inviting close passing because motorists think they can squeeze by in the lane. Then the cyclist complains because he thought he was trying to "share the road", and thinks the motorist isn't "sharing the road" because the motorist didn't move over enough when passing.

Be assertive, control your lane. Make it crystal clear to motorists that a lane change is required to pass. That's not being discourteous. That's being SAFE. And I proclaim that lane control actually IS being courteous because there's no question to a motorist as to whether or not they can squeeze by. Ride safe, ride predictable. That is TRUE courtesy.
Old 04-08-15, 06:28 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
...people just need to be educated that sharing means having a willingness to give....
I’ve read similar statements in several posting. Which is why I propose two things in the way of education: 1) when it’s time to renew the car’s license plate or a driver’s license, include in the mailing information about sharing the road with bicycles and how to properly pass them. A signature of agreement to comply would be required before the renewal is accepted; and 2) include 8 hours of on-road bicycle experience as a qualification to a driver’s license.

May not be popular but the mandatory seat belt law wasn't popular either when it was introduced in the 1970s.
Old 04-08-15, 06:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Many states in the east have been posting "share the road" signs for decades. I don't know if they make a difference, but by and large, I find drivers to be fine as fellow road users. Maybe it's simply because there were always bikes out here, and folks are more used to it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.