Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Paint and decals

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Paint and decals

Old 08-01-19, 07:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
IIRC a 1/4 cup of ready to apply paint per session/coat was about right per frame. But this was a long time ago using Imron with no understanding of reducers or other modifiers. Andy
Old 08-02-19, 07:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I think my travel bike is going to Goody Brothers for powdercoating. Not sure if I'm going to send any other frames with it, have to think about that. Local powdercoaters do a decent job from what I have seen, but talking to them didn't fill me with confidence. I need to mask some dropouts and they were skeptical.
Old 08-04-19, 07:48 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Anyone have a rough notion how much paint I need to paint multiple frames with a typical wet paint job? I have a nice spray setup.
I figure about 2 oz per coat with a little more or less depending on the viscosity of the paint. That is a ready to spray mixture with the reducers already added. For example I apply 2 or 3 coats of epoxy primer (depending on circumstances) and mix 4 to 6 oz before spraying. After 2 complete coats I'll spray what's left over around those areas on the fork blades and rear stays where diameter changes and sandpaper is more likely to dig in and remove more paint.

If you have a few days free next week, bring your frames to my place and I'll show you how it is done. Niles Michigan is just above South Bend, Indiana and Notre Dame University and just a few miles north of I-80 (the Indiana Toll Rd). It is about 90 miles east of Chicago.
Old 08-04-19, 08:11 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That's a generous offer Doug, but I'm getting ready to go to France the week after.
Old 08-04-19, 02:26 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think my travel bike is going to Goody Brothers for powdercoating. Not sure if I'm going to send any other frames with it, have to think about that. Local powdercoaters do a decent job from what I have seen, but talking to them didn't fill me with confidence. I need to mask some dropouts and they were skeptical.
I have had about 15 frames powder coated and all have had masking of various details like SS crown, dropout faces, my serial number badge, headbadges etc. It has worked out quite well. Once back from coating, I take a very sharp knife/blade and trim off any sharp edges around the masked areas as there can be a bit of flashing where the coating builds up.
Old 08-04-19, 03:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I appreciate the local guy's honesty, but it seems like he should be able to figure out how to mask. There was a guy here that was really good, and he did a nice job at masking. I always thought he was too cheap and he quit for unknown reasons. No storefront, you would take your frame out to the hospital and put it in his car. Totally run from a craigslist ad.

I figure the travel bike is going to be nice enough that I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to have it done right. If I could only decide on a font for my logo