Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How I got into cycling...you?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How I got into cycling...you?

Old 11-12-11, 06:05 PM
78fujis10s

Bikes: 1978 Fuji S-10S, 1996 Bianchi Nyala, 2008 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran track in high school. After HS I continued to run when the weather was good. In 1990 I ran no matter what the weather. In 96 I just got sick of the pounding and realized that running was a whole lot smoother with a bicycle underneath me. Of course now I spend way too much.
Old 11-12-11, 06:21 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Ever since childhood,it has always felt good to be on a bicycle. As a college student it provided cheap transportation as well as an opportunity to get exercise while being outside.
Old 11-12-11, 07:25 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Was a 2 pack a day smoker. Quit smoking and used my cigarette money to buy a bike.
Damn. This is exemplary. Seriously. Good stuff.
Old 11-12-11, 08:55 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Rode some as a kid but not after age 16. At 23 had flunked out of college, served two years of alternative service in a Chicago hospital (Vietnam era) and was working as an orderly in the Bloomington IN hospital not knowing what the hell to do with my life. So, took a tax refund check and bought a Schwinn Continental, quit smoking (3 pack year history) and started riding in Bloomington and around Monroe and Brown counties. Took another year or two to completely quit smoking but have been cycling ever since then. Still working in hospitals, too. Bicycling added something that was missing in my life. Have been a commuter (including eight years of year-round, everyday commuting in Atlanta), done one cross-country tour with wife, club touring, casual time-trialing, and just riding. Have ridden road bikes, a mountain bike, hybrids and am now in my sixth year of recumbent riding. Enjoy riding our 'bent tandem with my stoker/wife.
Bicycling keeps me immature.
I saw this on the Internet: 'Bicycling is the most fun you can have without having to worry about STD's.'
Old 11-12-11, 09:22 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
My infatuation began, at about 8 years old, when I learned using a neighbor girl's bike. A bike meant freedom - from my parents, from my 7 siblings, from the neighborhood. Being the youngest kid, there were tons of old discarded bikes/parts around the garage, and my first bike was a frankenbike. Stingrayish in style if not in quality.

Then in high school I had a somewhat eccentric biology teacher named David Blase who sometimes told unbelievable stories about his cycling youth. It seems someone took those stories and made the movie Breaking Away. Mr Blase held a Little 500 bike race at our high school each year, which I participated in my Junior and Senior years.

Training for the race, I discovered cycling in the countryside, and have been hooked ever since. I have not been without a bike since 1968.

Thank you Mr Blase!
Old 11-12-11, 10:01 PM
stonefree
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two paper routes in the 50's and 60's for eight years, but I was already riding before that.
Old 11-12-11, 11:06 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
As a kid I used to ride around Paris--not much else to do then--went on to college--enjoyed social scenes--unfortunately started smoking--once working I had to quit smoking and not easy to do--I used all that nervous energy on riding local hills in Marin County and I got hooked--more than 30 years later I still ride 100 miles a week--it is a drug!

Great ride today going up the Berkeley hills with great views!
Old 11-13-11, 06:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
The short answer is that I didn't have any money and bicycling was the cheapest way across town to work.

I have a much longer answer, full of philosophy and theology, that pretty much tracks my entire life path to the computer keyboard this very morning. If you really care, drop me a PM.
Old 11-13-11, 01:33 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I rode a 3 speed Raleigh "English Racer" all through HS in the early 60's up until I got hit by a car resulting in the bike being totaled. Fast forward 16 years and my wife and I have twin sons about 9 years old. Wife is a national caliber field Hockey player and I'm running marathons, but cycling has some appeal when you have small children. So my wife trained the kids for a 400 mile bike ride which we subsequently took in 1985. Completed the ride in 4 days with the kids only 10 years old.

Shortly thereafter boys really got into swimming and cycling tapered to nothing. Fast forward almost 25 years, I'm clearly no longer running, and the urge to buy a bike strikes. Wife and I get singles three years ago, followed by a daVinci tandem 2-1/2 years ago and here we are today, two oldsters riding 100K and Centuries (when there isn't too much climbing). I feel better physically than I have in probably 10 years. Just bought a new single so I can work on climbing when I'm not on the tandem.

One of my sons got back into cycling three years ago or so (mid-30's) and he's a Cat 2. He's been taking his 9 y/o to the Velodrome and the youngster (4 y/o) just got his first bike with hand brakes. As soon as the 9 y/o gets just a tiny bit taller I'm going to have a standby stoker
Old 11-13-11, 06:03 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Rode my bikes everywhere before discovering cars. Then took my old Sears Free Spirit with me to my first duty station. But gave it away after a year or so. 6 years later, saw a mountain bike and within a year had several bikes. Commuted for 5 years, then transferred (active duty Navy) and took a bike with me on ship, rode it in a lot of great places. But then spent years away from bikes. Messed with them a few miles at a time over the next few years. Last year I had my left knee replaced and thought the bike would be the best recovery exercise. Which lead to a crash this past summer, breaking my back and neck. And yet, the bike is on the trainer and I'm riding. And hope to ride again outside come spring. But I'm also getting a trike with rear suspension.
Old 11-13-11, 06:16 PM
oldster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, here, it was 1949,got my first Schwin,my pals dad, had a bike,lawnmower,locksmith,etc, shop,and learned a bunch about bikesfrom him.(even rode a fixee he had around
, we rode everywhere, including the dirt path along the irrigation canal in Greeley Co..got a new geared bike for xmas one year..then did not ride much till the early 70's,have been pretty active at it since...built my Motta from a box of parts in 83,and it is still my primary ride,(except for the raleigh from 84or so,I ride in the winter...
Bud
Old 11-13-11, 07:59 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Probably not atypical, but ... rode lots/everywhere when a kid, into my teens, then it all went away until ...

2002: Two events. Aged 50, full physical, stern warning from quack: blood pressure too high, cholesterol out of whack, slightly overweight, 'ya gotta do something'. Same time: Ms. Badger won a gas-pipe 'mtb-shaped object' in a liquor store raffle (). I hate 'exercise for exercise's sake' but thought to meself, 'self, wonder how this would be?' A couple of rides, and the rest is history.

That year/every year since, about 6/7000 kms/year, mix of road, commuting, and trail riding. Height: 5'9". Weight: 150 lbs. Resting heart rate: 52. BP: 120/60. Cholesterol stuff: can't remember the tech. stuff, but all good. Sheer enjoyment of cycling: priceless.
That is all.
Old 11-14-11, 10:54 AM
PaPa

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hailey, Idaho, sometime between 1958-9. Dog-eared and well used, and I don't even remember where or who I acquired it from. We moved to Buhl three years later, and it was there, that I decided to dissect and attempt a welfare overhaul. My precious allowance was just enough to repack the bearings, buy one tire and a pair of tubes. Parts were scattered everywhere when I left for school the next day, and i was deeply submerged in planning reassembly during class.

When I exited the bus that day, I immediately noticed something amiss - "Damn!"... the frame and BOTH fenders were missing. I dropped my books and ran... looking everywhere. I couldn't shake the cold chills down my spine, this was much worse than a bad nightmare because I suspected the worst. As a last resort, I peeked over the neighbor's fence in the back yard, and there they were... "MY PARTS!"... precariously dangling from a clothes line and glowing in the brightest shade of fresh blue paint imaginable. "What the?..." The perpetrator had even duplicated the Schwinn pin-striping.

Shelley Howard was his name, a professional painter about dad's age, and with heart of solid gold. With his guidance we reassembled my pride'n joy. I wasn't much help because I was trembling the whole time. Six months later, the bike disappeared from my back yard... never to be seen again.

The years passed and numerous bikes passed between my legs - perhaps 10 more over the following 12 years. The only dry spell was during the late 60's, when Uncle Sam forced me into active duty. Once back in 'civies' in 1970, I resumed riding. However, by this time, an early, bike related whiplash injury began raring it's ugly head. I quickly realized that I couldn't ride more than 10 miles without experiencing neck & shoulder discomfort - this was not good! As professional wrench, I had a full toolbox and 2 welding certificates under my belt - the solution was self evident...

An active 'Greenie' I am not... but a persistent, 5'6" cyclist who has never experienced the north side of 148 pounds. Life is good.

Last edited by PaPa; 11-14-11 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-15-11, 05:30 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
That's a great example of bicycle construction, PaPa. Looks real nice.
Old 11-15-11, 07:43 AM
PaPa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
That's a great example of bicycle construction, PaPa. Looks real nice.
Thank you. A closer look.. https://oi43.tinypic.com/2hrl3kh.jpg
Old 11-15-11, 07:49 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
These are some very interesting stories and probably the best thread I have seen on this entire web site. Keep the responses coming as they make for some great reading and inspiration. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-15-11, 09:09 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
First got on a bike at 8. Rode about 50 yds and was amazed I didn't fall. Until I tried to turn. But I ended up in grass, and got back on. I soon mastered it, and living about a mile from a shopping center, we all soon were riding everywhere. Had a paper route, bike was a necessity.

At about 15 or so, bikes were not cool. Stopped riding for about 10 -15 yrs. Rode a little on my bro's 10 spd, but took a bad fall on a diagonal rr track in the rain, and gave it up.

FF 20 more years. I was diagnosed with male breast cancer. I decided that I needed to change everything I could about my life style. So the wife and I bought bikes. Hybrids. We amazed friends when we told them that we regularly rode 8 mi round trip to Starbucks for Coffee. I continued to ride for fun, 8 - 10 mi at a time even after my wife took a spill and swore off.

After about 10 years of casual riding, my then 69 y/o buddy decided he wanted to do the Miami MS 150. It would require riding one of those bikes with "skinny tires and the hard seat that goes up your butt." He bought a bike and I borrowed an '89 Trek 1200. Big mistake. I was hooked. The best advice I got was "buy the best pair of cycling shorts you can afford. No, spend at least $100."

That was 2 1/2 yrs ago. I now ride 150 - 180 mi a week. I've lost 35 lbs, and at 64 I can keep up with many kids 1/2 my age. I have about 15 bikes of all types, but most is on my Moto, followed by the Lambo Tandem, and my son's Trek 4100 MTB.

A day without a ride is like a day without sunshine. And we get a lot of sunshine here in FLA!
Old 11-15-11, 10:50 PM
kennytb
Musashi Rider

Bikes: Catbike 2010 / Bachetta - Café / Raleigh M80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Excellent
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I'm in it for the babes. They dig cyclists. Especially 'bent riders.
Old 11-16-11, 03:16 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I practically lived on a bike through high school, but only sporadically after that. About four years ago, my knees were in pain and was growing disillusioned with running as a long-term mode of fitness. Decided to get out and take a ride with three guys in my firm who were riding regularly. I had a twenty something year old Nishiki that I have been waxing about on another thread that hadn't been ridden in years, and needed plenty of work just to make it ridable. I borrowed and eventually bought (for $100) a late 80s or early 90s era Cannondale Black Lightning. I was hooked. Now I am riding 100 to 150 miles a week on a carbon madone. Unfortunately, the guys who got me started are these days riding very little. Sold the black lightning to another partner who is now riding quite a bit himself. He has since bought a CAAD 10. I guess that Black Lightning is a hell of a starter bike! His kid is now using it in sprint tri's.
Old 11-16-11, 03:44 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Just thought i'd post for my son... 21.

2010 Empire State Games, his team won a Bronze medal.
Good for him! I see the Central team in the background (light blue). My daughter played lacrosse for Central at the ESGs.
Old 11-16-11, 04:02 PM
VertigoFlyer

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2, 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grew up riding to school, to play, for fun, for it all. I stopped for many years as I raised a family and worked my ass off. No that I'm an empty nester and 50 something I'm back on a bike, bikes actually... And LOVING IT!!! Now if we could stop the mad Pacific Northwest November weather I'd get out more and spend less time on the trainer in the garage.... sigh
Old 11-19-11, 07:02 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I'm in it for the babes. They dig cyclists. Especially 'bent riders.
At about 10 years old, I'd ride by a girl I liked and pretended to crash. Worked every time.
Old 11-20-11, 05:04 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.
I wasn't expecting this when I started the thread but damn these are good stories. I was just having a memory of my old friend Alan and his '64 Olympics adventure and all the things we did when we were growing up. This has been a blast. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
Old 11-20-11, 07:46 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by PaPa

Hailey, Idaho, sometime between 1958-9. Dog-eared and well used, and I don't even remember where or who I acquired it from. We moved to Buhl three years later, and it was there, that I decided to dissect and attempt a welfare overhaul. My precious allowance was just enough to repack the bearings, buy one tire and a pair of tubes. Parts were scattered everywhere when I left for school the next day, and i was deeply submerged in planning reassembly during class.

When I exited the bus that day, I immediately noticed something amiss - "Damn!"... the frame and BOTH fenders were missing. I dropped my books and ran... looking everywhere. I couldn't shake the cold chills down my spine, this was much worse than a bad nightmare because I suspected the worst. As a last resort, I peeked over the neighbor's fence in the back yard, and there they were... "MY PARTS!"... precariously dangling from a clothes line and glowing in the brightest shade of fresh blue paint imaginable. "What the?..." The perpetrator had even duplicated the Schwinn pin-striping.

Shelley Howard was his name, a professional painter about dad's age, and with heart of solid gold. With his guidance we reassembled my pride'n joy. I wasn't much help because I was trembling the whole time. Six months later, the bike disappeared from my back yard... never to be seen again.

The years passed and numerous bikes passed between my legs - perhaps 10 more over the following 12 years. The only dry spell was during the late 60's, when Uncle Sam forced me into active duty. Once back in 'civies' in 1970, I resumed riding. However, by this time, an early, bike related whiplash injury began raring it's ugly head. I quickly realized that I couldn't ride more than 10 miles without experiencing neck & shoulder discomfort - this was not good! As professional wrench, I had a full toolbox and 2 welding certificates under my belt - the solution was self evident...

(Pictures clipped for brevity)

An active 'Greenie' I am not... but a persistent, 5'6" cyclist who has never experienced the north side of 148 pounds. Life is good.
A great story. Made my day!
Old 11-20-11, 10:34 AM
jbman100
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid. I was always on borrowed or hand me down bikes. They were mostly for transportation and delivering newspapers. In the 80's in Europe I bought a bike to tool around the neighborhood and ended up using it again as transportation when the motor blew in my car. Fast forward to the late 90's, going through a divorce, just getting back from Korea, Im trying to get the money together for a decent car to get around Ft Bliss, I bough a mountain bike even though it was mostly on road riding I was doing. Kept the mountain bike through the 2000's and rode it occasionally just for fun. 2 years ago the wife wanted to do a triathlon and I wanted a lighter bike to ride with her on. Hence a new touring/road bike. She didn't compete in the tri but I was hooked. I did 3 bike events, 2 of them metric centuries and 2500 miles in the saddle as I turned into a bike commuter. This year I had a goal of 3000 miles. I didn't make that as the weather didn't cooperate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.