Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Empty Nest

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 11:35 AM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
John (our son and youngest) left last night for Quebec City to start his missionary career.
I am so proud of him for finding his way on his own and working hard to achieve his goals. He is 100% financing the career as far as college and all the things he had to do to get accepted by the Missions Board. he has funding for everything.
Sorry this was long, I knew this day was coming for a long time, this thread was so timely and y'all are my surrogate family.

Bill
Absolutely no reason to be sorry at all!

Sounds like John has his head (and heart) on straight - Kudos to him, you, Monica and God for getting him to this point. Congratulations.
Old 06-22-12, 11:45 AM
overthehillmedi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your son will maybe return in two years totally changed, he'll speak a different language, Quebec Franlais, root for Les Habs and bleed bleu, blanc et rouge when they lose, eat strange uneard of food called poutine,croissants, pea soup and beavertails and with a cute French maid (no, not that french maid) in tow. Enjoy the change.
Old 06-22-12, 05:29 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
When our son went on to college (UCLA). To soften the change and the feel of an empty nest: both my wife and I went to kauai for a week relaxing on a beautiful beach (Poipu)

Ultimately he came back got married, got a good job (electrical engineer) and live less than 10 miles from us, but we rarely see him and his wife--I guess he too has a life of his own!

Children: they ultimately grow up and leave you!

Last edited by VNA; 06-22-12 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-23-12, 08:29 AM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Didn't see any need to start a new thread on this topic. John (our son and youngest) left last night for Quebec City to start his missionary career. This is a preliminary trip but, and he will come back after 3 months for maybe a week or so to get his dog and the few things he left here, he is up there for around two years, minimum. Got his apartment a month or so back, took care of the Canadian banking issues and lined up the required health insurance for missionaries (International Mission's Board requirement, good idea to me, he isn't eligible for the Canadian health system as he is an American citizen.)

Monica did the short mom's cry and mullygrubbed for about 5 minutes, then she was fine. We will miss him as his sister has been gone since she left for Massachusetts and Smith College in 2004, now working in Atlanta, Ga, and the nest is officially empty. We have raced MX together since he was 12 and ridden bikes since he graduated form college last December.

I am so proud of him for finding his way on his own and working hard to achieve his goals. He is 100% financing the career as far as college and all the things he had to do to get accepted by the Missions Board. he has funding for everything. He had taught himself French to where he will start the language immersion courses in an advanced placement. (His sister majored in french at Smith and wil not even speak the language, burn out, bad!) We gave both he and his sister a separate credit card if they have an emergency several years ago. Both have been totally responsible and paid the card off each month when it was needed.

Sorry this was long, I knew this day was coming for a long time, this thread was so timely and y'all are my surrogate family. Thanks for listening. A new page in our lives begins today. It is time to go riding and get ready for the metric century I signed up for last week.

Bill
Bill, you should be proud. It seems you have helped produce an intelligent, caring, independent, self-sufficient and self-confident man. That should be the goal of every parent and it looks like you have succeeded. Congratulations to your son, Monica, and you!
Old 06-23-12, 07:02 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
When our son went on to college (UCLA). To soften the change and the feel of an empty nest: both my wife and I went to kauai for a week relaxing on a beautiful beach (Poipu)

Ultimately he came back got married, got a good job (electrical engineer) and live less than 10 miles from us, but we rarely see him and his wife--I guess he too has a life of his own!

Children: they ultimately grow up and leave you!

I've got a twist on the empty nest experience.

When I was 50, my kids were finishing high school and college, I saw the writing on the wall in that my job as a parent was being down-sized after 24 years. I got a little panicked as I had been pretty much a stay-at-home mom working only part-time jobs so that I could be home for them. I knew I had to make a pre-emptive strike against an onset of feelings of displacement and depression and make some changes in my life to mentally prepare for the empty nest.

I decided to go back to school and earn a degree to prepare me with skills to re-enter the workforce full-time. Because I was going back to school at 51, I opted to go for an Associate's degree as it could be completed in two years.(tick-tick-tick). It took me four years to graduate as I attended school part-time while I worked a part-time job. Well, I graduated last June, and have been working two p/t jobs since.

Last week, I was offered, and accepted, a full-time position at a prestigious hospital in Philadelphia. I start July 9th. So, while many of our 60+ members are retiring, I am beginning a new career.
Good thing the kids are gone, I’ve got to get to work!
Old 06-23-12, 07:13 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last week, I was offered, and accepted, a full-time position at a prestigious hospital in Philadelphia. I start July 9th. So, while many of our 60+ members are retiring, I am beginning a new career.
Congratulations, Miss Kenton. The new job should do wonders in keeping your mind off your empty nest. I hope your new career is rewarding and interesting.
Old 06-23-12, 07:18 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Good for you Miss K', glad that you have the full-time job that you want.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-23-12, 08:12 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The whole point is to teach the kids to spread their wings and fly, to grow up. With this being the last summer with our 20-yr-old here, and a month of it in India, I am the one having trouble growing up.
Old 06-24-12, 02:22 PM
xjken99

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Empty Nest

Shortly after I posted to this thread on page one my son came home and told us he had found an apartment near campus that he wanted us to look at. I was hoping that it was a run down piece of crap that I could not approve of. In fact it's a real nice place that is about two blocks from campus in a safe area that he can bike to school in nice weather. When the weather turns bad the school shuttle stops right there as does the local bus route. So instead of having till August with him home we just finished moving him this weekend. Right now this is a pretty empty feeling and sad place, I knew the wife would have a hard time with this but I did not expect it to hit me as hard as it has. It's kinda weird to think that this is no longer his home. We are both so proud of what he has accomplished to this point and excited for the new chapter in his life he is entering. He now starts Grad School at the Northern Kentucky University School of Law and from this point on he will need less and less from us. He's a well adjusted, smart, responsible, confident young man and I have no reason to doubt that he will reach his goals. Still there is a part of me that wishes we could turn the clock back a few more years. I know we will adjust and he's only 30 minutes away but it just had to believe. Sorry to drag this out so long but it just got away from me.
Old 06-24-12, 05:17 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

xjken,
Just take solace, as the above members just told me, in what he has accomplished and will accomplish and the fact y'all raised a fine son. Know what you and the wife are going through but it gets better and he will be back for a Mom's cooking meal sooner than you think.

Bill

Old 06-24-12, 05:35 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When we got our four kids (two boys, two girls) grown up and moved out we had so much fun we ended up with another kid.
She is now 8 years old and the joy of our lives but it is a bit strange when she plays Aunti with the two grandkids that are about her age.

And what proud dad could resist posting a pic....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hike 001.jpg (101.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-24-12, 06:25 PM
xjken99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"a Mom's cooking meal"

Actually Bill with me being semi retired most of the home cooking is done by me. I was just telling my wife that one of those little things I will miss most was his "What's for dinner?" question he would usually ask when I got home from work. It's nice to hear from someone who is going through this that it does get better. Best wishes to you and Monica.
Old 06-24-12, 06:29 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Ken,
Nothing wrong with dad cooking, I love to cook for us. Monica has a home based financial business and stays really busy so I cook when she needs and like to surprise her with neat meals. Best of luck to y'all too.

Bill

Old 06-24-12, 08:02 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
seems pretty empty, after just one day.
Empty? Heck we just filled ours
Old 06-24-12, 08:13 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
With some decent parenting and good fortune the day comes when you realize you have raised the kind of person you appreciate having around. The next day he or she leaves.
Well said George. We've raised two fine young men, two really good people who will treat other people with respect and kindness. They're both moving out at the end of the summer, and though they'll be close by, I ain't looking forward to it. Hell, somewhere along the line, they turned into my good friends too.

Thanks for starting this thread - it does help.
Old 06-24-12, 08:32 PM
xjken99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hell, somewhere along the line, they turned into my good friends too.

Well put fallsjohn. That's exactly how I feel, we have been riding together for the past two months or so because of his knee problems. I suggested riding instead of running and he has really taken to it. I also suggested that him and his girlfriend could start riding together instead of running but, his response was that he would rather that be our thing.
Old 06-25-12, 06:03 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Agreed, John became a really good friend and I loved having him around with me when I did things or we went places. Many good memories of days at the motocross track and going to the Supercross in Atlanta every year. When we began riding bikes last year after he got home form University it was very satisfying. You guys hit this one right on the head. Raising two young adults that are good people is one thing we have one shot per child at doing right.

Bill

Old 06-25-12, 06:01 PM
miss kenton

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Good for you Miss K', glad that you have the full-time job that you want.

Bill
Bill and Banded Krait, Thank you for kind words!