Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ultralight Evangelism.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ultralight Evangelism.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 10:09 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
testing a (nearly) full load

Untitled by mbeganyi, on Flickr

there is nothing 'ultralight' about riding a pugsley.... but this is most of the same gear, moved to the pugsley, that i use on the fargo and the IF, with some cold weather stuff thrown in. just an overnight, exploring some trail, dirt road, camping at a lake. shakedown trip to the cafe this morning. tomorrow i'll ride my town loop - trail, dirt road, bike path, some single track - to see how things shake out (literally...)
Old 11-06-13, 06:14 PM
iforgotmename

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice setup! I am building up a Troll and will run the same bags...awesome.
Old 11-06-13, 09:40 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
OK, a few thoughts... when I tour I have always carried 3 pairs of shorts: one on my body, one dirty (or maybe clean), and one clean and ready to go, anything like riding two days in the same pair is unthinkable and makes me go eewwww. I have a big Agnes Seedhouse one person tent, if it rains, is windy, or there are mosquitoes any pleasure derived from traveling light will be sooo very forgotten. I have been really seriously dehydrated twice in my life. I always carry a ceramic filter now. I have a 3 season down bag, a full length thermarest, and an inflatable pillow - Even indoors in a bed I rarely sleep well, outdoors makes it only that much more demanding of my utmost comfort. I try to avoid populated areas and like to be able to go for a day and a half in the wild and be totally well fed and comfortable. I start each and every day with a piping hot mug of gourmet coffee. I always carry a MiNewt headlight that requires a wall wart charger. I have had a generic hydration pack and a Camelback, both of them make me sick if the water is in there very long, I am baffled by the whole rest of the world that uses them. I pretty much refuse to wear anything on my back while touring, so that eliminates the modern frame bag and seat pack set-ups. I can go lightweight, I guess I will never be ultralight. Thanks to all of you for sharing your packing lists and for the inspiration!

Last edited by venturi95; 11-06-13 at 09:44 PM. Reason: glitchy as hell on this site
Old 11-06-13, 10:45 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by venturi95
I pretty much refuse to wear anything on my back while touring, so that eliminates the modern frame bag and seat pack set-ups.
not really...
i
l will be taking a backpack this weekend because its going to be in the 30s and i need extra layers... (and i plan on picking up a beer somewhere).
but some on this very thread have forgone the backpack / camel back / etc. with smart packing.

bugs? very lite tent can take care of that.
filter? aqua mira drops + frontier pro
coffee... yeah - thats tricky. i brew at home in a chemex with beans from a local roaster. on the bike - its starbucks via...
Old 11-06-13, 10:46 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iforgotmename
Nice setup! I am building up a Troll and will run the same bags...awesome.
thanks... neohio? nice, grew up there. get back every once in awhile to visit friends / family. would love to ride 'home' someday from VT.
Old 11-06-13, 11:19 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
OK, a few thoughts... when I tour I have always carried 3 pairs of shorts: one on my body, one dirty (or maybe clean), and one clean and ready to go, anything like riding two days in the same pair is unthinkable and makes me go eewwww. I have a big Agnes Seedhouse one person tent, if it rains, is windy, or there are mosquitoes any pleasure derived from traveling light will be sooo very forgotten. I have been really seriously dehydrated twice in my life. I always carry a ceramic filter now. I have a 3 season down bag, a full length thermarest, and an inflatable pillow - Even indoors in a bed I rarely sleep well, outdoors makes it only that much more demanding of my utmost comfort. I try to avoid populated areas and like to be able to go for a day and a half in the wild and be totally well fed and comfortable. I start each and every day with a piping hot mug of gourmet coffee. I always carry a MiNewt headlight that requires a wall wart charger. I have had a generic hydration pack and a Camelback, both of them make me sick if the water is in there very long, I am baffled by the whole rest of the world that uses them. I pretty much refuse to wear anything on my back while touring, so that eliminates the modern frame bag and seat pack set-ups. I can go lightweight, I guess I will never be ultralight. Thanks to all of you for sharing your packing lists and for the inspiration!
Is there a firm definition of ultralight vs lightweight?

You can be bug free in a 1.5lb tent and there are now even lighter tents. There's no need to wear a back pack with the rackless setups if you pack sensibly. I travel with 2 pairs of underwear and one pair of shorts. The underwear gets washed every night so I always start the following morning with 2 pairs of clean underwear. My shorts get washed once a week. Here's my setup for a ride from Boston to Buffalo; I camped two nights and stayed in motels five nights, no backpack involved. I have a 3 season down bag, thermarest neo-air, exped pillow and single walled tent.

Last edited by nun; 11-06-13 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 10:09 AM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
thanks... neohio? nice, grew up there. get back every once in awhile to visit friends / family. would love to ride 'home' someday from VT.
If you ever come "home" let me know, there is a great bike "scene" here in Cleveland.
Old 11-07-13, 01:20 PM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, that's why this thread is titled the way it is. Reveling in the benefits and enduring the downsides. It's personal preference as to the balance. I like my comforts so a multi month unsupported 100% camping tour (not including water or food, but including racks and panniers) will have me carry 50 lbs easy. My constant dilemma is whether I "loan" food, clothing, or bike parts to those UL'ers who get caught unprepared. Depends on whether they are regretful or not, I guess.....
Old 11-07-13, 01:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Is this a Tent Revival? are you snake handlers? bring a Big Choir?
Old 11-07-13, 01:35 PM
Cyclesafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Is this a Tent Revival? are you snake handlers? bring a Big Choir?
I have bridged my packing list with an older version of nun's list. The weight difference comes from my tent (Allak), multi fuel stove, tools, racks, and panniers. I need the racks and panniers to carry several days food and water when necessary.
Old 11-07-13, 01:56 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I like my tent

No rain forecast for this trip. It is almost of unheard of to get showers in this region of California in summertime, so no rainfly. Keep in mind I am a bad weather wimp. This doesn't weigh much - for me, anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1929.jpg (100.6 KB, 172 views)
Old 11-07-13, 03:49 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclesafe
My constant dilemma is whether I "loan" food, clothing, or bike parts to those UL'ers who get caught unprepared. Depends on whether they are regretful or not, I guess.....
how many times have you done that... really?
Old 11-07-13, 04:00 PM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently started dehydrating my own meals, I ate better and had food to spare at the end of the weekend trip. I am not ultra light but trying...I could go for a while with this setup
P1090263 by DennisLitto, on Flickr
Old 11-07-13, 04:36 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I don't know how many times he has, but I know that I as an ultralight packer have loaned stuff to folks carrying 50 or more pounds of stuff quite often. Some of the time it was probably because they didn't know where it was among all that stuff.

The one time I remember borrowing something (a can opener) it was because I lost mine. That doesn't count passing things back and forth with someone I was touring with. In that case we both typically had what we needed, but used the one owned by whoever had the item handy. Like "my ____ is packed away do you have your's out".

Most of the folks I know who pack light pack very carefully and maintain well thought out lists. You kind of have to if going really light IMO They know what works for them and have what they need. Some heavy packers use a shot gun approach and are therefore more likely to forget something.
Old 11-07-13, 07:04 PM
Cyclesafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every trip at least once. Really. But "constant" was hyperbole for sure, sorry. I guess I just resent bringing stuff that serves only to bail others out of trouble. Hence the dilemma.

I don't want to make anybody mad, but contempt should not be heaped on those who carefully evaluate the pros and cons for themselves and make choices different from the herd.

Last edited by Cyclesafe; 11-07-13 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 08:09 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I don't know how many times he has, but I know that I as an ultralight packer have loaned stuff to folks carrying 50 or more pounds of stuff quite often. Some of the time it was probably because they didn't know where it was among all that stuff.

The one time I remember borrowing something (a can opener) it was because I lost mine. That doesn't count passing things back and forth with someone I was touring with. In that case we both typically had what we needed, but used the one owned by whoever had the item handy. Like "my ____ is packed away do you have your's out".

Most of the folks I know who pack light pack very carefully and maintain well thought out lists. You kind of have to if going really light IMO They know what works for them and have what they need. Some heavy packers use a shot gun approach and are therefore more likely to forget something.

Lending and borrowing stuff is all part of the fun of touring. Unless you are going expedition touring there's no absolute need to be totally self sufficient, there are stores that will sell you stuff and people to help you. Heck I take directions from people all the time

Of course it's nice to know that you can deal any emergencies and have all you need, and a well thought out packing list helps with that.
Old 11-07-13, 08:14 PM
nun

Bmike,
The pugsley always looks eccentric to me, what's the rolling resistance like? I've been watching some Tour Divide videos recently and I'm tempted by the Fargo and maybe doing a few of sections
Old 11-07-13, 09:14 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
great nun, go ahead, make me lose some time viewing Tour Divide vids.....from the extreme 200 mile per fracking day guy to this cool one-- https://vimeo.com/63470579

as always, if only money and time available were not finite...add this one to the "that looks pretty damn cool to do" list, although like you say, doing some sections is probably realistic.

cheers
Old 11-07-13, 09:22 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nun
Bmike,
The pugsley always looks eccentric to me, what's the rolling resistance like? I've been watching some Tour Divide videos recently and I'm tempted by the Fargo and maybe doing a few of sections
I bought a Fargo specifically for that type of riding - lots of gravel, dirt, some trail (although it does act as my mountain bike).

The Pugsley? Really depends on what tires / rims / etc. If you want a versatile bike, look at the newer fatbikes out there - and get 2 sets of wheels. Build up a 29r set and a fat set. I'm on old style 'large marge' rims. Heavy, double walled downhill capable. Not very wide either, by today's Fatbike standards. You can go tubeless too...

Personally I love this bike. I ride it all the time. Setup with the nates it sounds like an off road jeep when I'm on pavement. In the woods it grips like mad. In the snow, similar.

This weekend will be my first bikepackong trip on it.
Old 11-07-13, 10:01 PM
djb

re the super fat tires, it seems to me that they are really going to be an advantage in supersoft or wet stuff. As you say, compared to todays superfat stuff, "regular" wide stuff that is going to less heavy due to tire and rim weight is probably going to work better for most regular off road trail stuff (I realize that there is no "regular") when you balance out how much time you are on real soft stuff.
Then I guess though this isn't taking into consideration the suspension effect of these superfatties, which must be pretty neat to ride on.
Old 11-07-13, 10:15 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
re the super fat tires, it seems to me that they are really going to be an advantage in supersoft or wet stuff. As you say, compared to todays superfat stuff, "regular" wide stuff that is going to less heavy due to tire and rim weight is probably going to work better for most regular off road trail stuff (I realize that there is no "regular") when you balance out how much time you are on real soft stuff.
Then I guess though this isn't taking into consideration the suspension effect of these superfatties, which must be pretty neat to ride on.
remember, the tires on my pugs are 3.8" wide. the new stuff is 4.8" and 5"...
this is tough on a 'regular' mountain bike:

G0023325 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

G0024186 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMAG1476 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMAG1478 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

its pretty amazing what they will ride over / on / grip / etc. can be a very capable trail bike
and a very capable touring bike:
https://joecruz.wordpress.com/categor...-on-a-pugsley/
Old 11-07-13, 11:21 PM
djb

5 in. wide tires, thats really something isnt it? Your photos seem to sum up how you can bike where one really couldnt bike before.
My comment was thinking more of the Tour Divide, in terms of balancing weight/rolling resistance for dirt roads and such.

tks for the joecruz link, will take a read over there.
Old 11-08-13, 06:15 AM
nun

Originally Posted by djb
great nun, go ahead, make me lose some time viewing Tour Divide vids.....from the extreme 200 mile per fracking day guy to this cool one-- https://vimeo.com/63470579

as always, if only money and time available were not finite...add this one to the "that looks pretty damn cool to do" list, although like you say, doing some sections is probably realistic.

cheers
Yeah no 200 miles a day on dirt for me. Maybe take a week and ride from Banff to Whitefish.
Old 11-08-13, 06:22 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
5 in. wide tires, thats really something isnt it? Your photos seem to sum up how you can bike where one really couldnt bike before.
My comment was thinking more of the Tour Divide, in terms of balancing weight/rolling resistance for dirt roads and such.

tks for the joecruz link, will take a read over there.

Yeah, for me, my Fargo is the dirt road / trail touring rig. My IF with 35s is capable too, just wouldn't want single track. I wouldn't ride the Pugsley on the tour divide with fat tires. Too much road.
Old 11-08-13, 09:00 AM
nun

Originally Posted by djb

cheers
Yeah it looks like fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMUX3kVmYI0

Gladly I'm old enough now to be both incapable and unexcited by racing myself. Just completing the Divide would be an enormous challenge, but that comes after the Northern Tier and a return trip to ride around Iceland............well it's good to have plans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.