Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How bad are cup o noodles for my diet

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How bad are cup o noodles for my diet

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 10:33 AM
Turd Ferguson
LMLN

Bikes: Marin Novato, Argon Krypton, Jamis Aurora, IRO Mark V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally, ramen and similar noodles are deep fried therefore not very healthy.

You might be better off with whole grain pastas (Primo makes the only true whole grain), or beans, lentils, chickpeas etc with a soup/stew like concoction of some sort.
Old 12-25-07, 04:37 AM
s4one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am a college student, I live off fish/cabbage dumplings and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.

I ate a lot of cup of noodles in high school, I don't think that its that bad... I mean people eat fried fat in different parts of the world.

If you don't have enough money to feed yourself sufficient nutrients, maybe you should drop a hobby or reconsider racing cat 2 since your body will pay for the consequences in the future from the lack of a balanced diet.

You really eat oatmeal & cup noodles? crazy..
Old 12-27-07, 04:58 AM
foul smell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I am being serious. I am not rich and I am going to owe close to a hundred grand when I graduate thanks to private college tuition costs. So that is my reason for eating this kind of food, $6 for a big box of the stuff at Food 4 Less.

I forgot to mention that I don't drink the broth. Is most of the sodium in the broth? I thought that the noodles would be good for carbs and if I skip the broth (don't like taste anyway) I would be ok.

Cat 2 is a goal, I never claim to be the next Lance.
Old 12-27-07, 01:32 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can't you mix it up? Ramen noodles one day, pasta the next, rice the third? That way even if it were that bad it wouldn't be THAT bad.
Old 12-29-07, 01:17 PM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you'll find that buying pasta in bulk will come close to as cheap as Ramen. It won't be whole-grain or anything, but its a lot better for you.
Old 12-30-07, 08:31 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
You can do better than Ramen for about the same cost. Regular pasta is less than a dollar a pound. Canned tomatoes make a good sauce, and come in different flavors (Italian, green chili, etc.) for variety. A half-pound of linguini with basil flavored tomato sauce and a small can of tuna is actually a pretty tasty meal, and sure beats Ramen nutritionally. Canned tuna, cottage cheese, and eggs are all pretty good protein sources. Baked beans and canned chili are good meals, especially with a can of Popeye spinach on the side.

Many churches sell high quality frozen meats and dinners for less than half the cost of supermarkets, with no income qualifications or forms to fill out. (Of course you have to have a freezer.) Sam's Club and Aldis have good bargains. Walmart raisin bran is fantastic.

The problem with college kids is that most come from middle class families and they have no practical experience at being poor. Some local welfare moms should offer a college course called "Poverty 101." It would be a lot more useful than most of the crap you learn in college.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 12-30-07 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-12-08, 03:05 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh man...

You're better off to eating Special K; more filling and 100% healthier, guaranteed!

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 01-12-08, 04:09 PM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others have stated, pretty much all prepackaged soups are high in sodium.

I do not purchase them except in rare cases.

I tend to make my own, which is better anyway (natch)
Old 01-12-08, 05:46 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by foul smell
No I am being serious. I am not rich and I am going to owe close to a hundred grand when I graduate thanks to private college tuition costs. So that is my reason for eating this kind of food, $6 for a big box of the stuff at Food 4 Less.

I forgot to mention that I don't drink the broth. Is most of the sodium in the broth? I thought that the noodles would be good for carbs and if I skip the broth (don't like taste anyway) I would be ok.
I understand the logic & "easy to eat" factor. I ate a lot of ramen in college too. However, if you are smart enough to question it; you are smart enough to do better.

I found 1 good brand for my noodle fix- Annie Chun's Miso noodle soup. Altho it has 450mg of sodium, it has no MSG or saturated/trans fat. noodles are not fried. anniechun.com

Here is a great article that addresses your exact concern- basically you are trading your health for a couple bucks$. In fact, if you do develop problems from poor nutrition, $100,000 is a drop in the bucket with medical costs.

It is only natural that the profit-seeking student sees a 12-pack of Maruchan Ramen at Giant Eagle for $1.50 and — after doing some basic arithmetic — says, “Wow! Thirteen cents per package! With the money I will save on lunch, I can finally afford to impress Julio/Julia and cook for him/her, and invite 46 of our closest friends. (Thanks, Facebook!)”

While pondering the prospects over a bowl of ramen, the left arm of our protagonist feels a shooting pain, and soon the next great microeconomist is collapsed on the floor from a heart attack. Fortunately he is able to be revived, but after recuperation at home and many more ramen lunches later, he eventually seizes up and loses consciousness, ultimately suffering a stroke and dying... all over trying to save a couple of bucks.

While ramen is by far one of the most inexpensive foods on the market, it just might be the most hazardous to your health. A package consisting of a dried noodle block and a packet of seasoning (technically two whole servings) typically contains about 1800 milligrams of sodium, which is over 90 percent of the recommended daily intake. The seasoning carries most of the blame for that, but the benign-looking noodles are no innocent party. The noodles are deep-fried at a factory, then formed into little bricks and dried. Besides being devoid of any significant amount of vitamins or minerals, the high salt content of the seasoning combined with the saturated fat in the noodles is a significant contributor to weight gain, heart disease, and stroke.

and another

So what makes instant ramen bad? It’s the manufacturing process. In order to create a dessicated, long-keeping noodle that cooks very fast, it’s deep-fried in oil. There are air-dried instant ramen varieties out there, but they take a bit longer to cook (though it’s only about 5 minutes), and more importantly are not the real cheap kind.

To make things worse, the instant soup mix has more fat in it, not to mention a lot of salt and mystery ingredients. Take a look at the nutritional information for Maruchan instant beef noodles for example, noting that they suggest a serving size of half a pack. When is the last time you ate just 1/2 a pack of instant ramen? A full pack, which is what most people have, is 380 calories, 126 of which are from fat, and most of the rest from white flour. Cup noodles are even worse. The rather healthy sounding Nissin Chicken Flavor with Vegetable Medley have in a real serving (I mean come on, 1/2 a cup of cup noodles?) 536 calories, which come almost exclusively from fat, white flour, and sugar. And really, how satisfying is a cup noodle?

That’s not to say that instant ramen has to be avoided at all costs. I like it myself sometimes. But it really should be delegated to the same category as potato chips and Twinkies, and never be used as the main carb component of a main meal.
Old 05-12-18, 03:32 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by foul smell
I'm a college student so money is kinda of tight. Well actually more like instead of eating pizza and beer I've been buying bike parts. I'm a Cat4 and I want to see if I can make Cat 2 before the end of next season. I eat oatmoeal and cup o noodles, no soda. Oatmeal is cheap and nutritious but I get sick of it sometimes so I have been eating those microwavable noodles. i don't drink the broth, i just eat the noodles.
Buy the bike parts and look up the local meal kitchen if you have one, there is one place that will feed you maybe five days a week and ours welcomes anybody.

There are also food banks. You want to avoid the junk food but they tend to have USDA commodities and donations from local grocery stores, breads, fresh fruits and vegetables when donated and some may have toiletries or other essentials.

But remember to keep a good balance between food and parts. When you are young and out of the house the very first thing you need to learn is 'home econonics' as they used to call it in high school. Eating well means eating a variety of nutritious foods, not just a habitual few.

The Cult Of Pasta or Pizza the Hut is not a good one. Your body is finishing it's development and you need to fuel it properly. Amino acids, vitamins and minerals, good fats and proteins.

Ramen is fried wheat paste/gluten...when I was diagnosed as a diabetic my doctor told me not to live on it and limit my pasta intake (and that means Spaghetti-Os too, sadly).

But you need to ask a real doctor/nutritionist. When you are 50+ you'll probably be healthier (than me especially) and happier about your choices. Don't mistake this 'stressful' life of college as an excuse to fall apart.
Old 05-14-18, 12:26 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
White rice+canned beans is about as cheap and nutritious as you can get for a college student. Add cheap eggs if you have the budget.
Old 05-14-18, 12:41 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
When camping I boil some Ramen Noodles after they are done I add canned chicken. The boiling noodles sufficiently heats the chicken and there you have a carb, protein and very very high sodium cheap camp food. Tastes good after a hike or ride where you sweat a lot. Which in Texas you are going to sweat The whole State is hot.
Old 05-14-18, 02:58 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
White rice+canned beans is about as cheap and nutritious as you can get for a college student. Add cheap eggs if you have the budget.
Brown rice would be somewhat healthier.
Old 05-14-18, 03:02 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Brown rice would be somewhat healthier.
yea, but more expensive and more of a pain to cook and store since it goes rancid pretty quickly. The added nutritional value isn't probably worth the downsides for a college student
Old 05-14-18, 09:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Wonder how our OP @foul smell is faring, eleven years on. Did he make Cat 2? Or did he collapse of a sodium-induced heart attack first? Who knows?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-18-18, 06:24 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Don't forget fruit especially citrus! (or some C and B complex)

BITD in my poor days a friend scored on an abandoned civil defense fallout shelter stocked to the roof with tins of "survival biscuits" They tasted a bit like low sugar gram crackers. Not too bad but, after subsisting on them for a month or so I was in the early stages of scurvy.
In Chicago in 1969 a large orange was going for about three hours of minimum wages, but it was worth it!
Old 05-21-18, 10:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
When I was in college, I made rice the old fashioned way* and ate it with a can of Goya black bean soup. I haven't done the math, but this may be more economical than Cup O Noodles. I bet it's more filling, though.

I know it's expensive, but try to fit some fresh vegetables and a little meat into your diet. Nowadays, the vegetables are more expensive than meat!

* The old fashioned way of making rice: real rice (not minute rice), one cup of rice, two cups of water, boil and then lower heat. Cook without stirring until rice at the bottom has absorbed all the water.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-22-18, 05:18 PM
thanksgolfing

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say this and any type of ramen would be bad, but they are so tasty!
Old 05-27-18, 09:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Once in a while you can revel in your poverty with it, but not like having corn flakes all the time.
Old 10-18-18, 11:12 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Wonder how our OP @foul smell is faring, eleven years on. Did he make Cat 2? Or did he collapse of a sodium-induced heart attack first? Who knows?
I'm curious, too (but I mis-read the OP, and thought it was from 2017, not 2007!) There are so many more and better ways to eat cheaply, but I don't begrudge myself a cup of instant ramen every once in a while. I find that off-brands can be much tastier - try and find Indo-Mie; they come with a little sesame or chili oil packet and different seasonings. But I'm lucky, I live in a city with a dozen Asian grocery stores within five miles.
Old 10-18-18, 02:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

After 11-12 years do you suppose the definitive words on ramen have been disseminated?

I say circle gets the square!!
Old 10-18-18, 03:05 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Closed