Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do Cyclists Have a Negative Reputation?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 04:29 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

I've been riding a lot the past 3 years, not simply for fitness and recreation but also for utility. Especially on shorter trips for groceries or other knick knacks where I previously drove. I can't do that all of the time of course, especially in winter. Well, I could, but I'd just prefer not to.

Most people I encounter, customers and store clerks, and people I just encounter while walking and riding my bike, seem very supportive, very curious and seem to be fascinated by bicycles, cycling gear and just the idea of it.

However, I just read a couple of articles where cycling is considered to be a form of transportation of last resort, for the poor, for DUI's, for homeless, etc. I readily admit that my gear is 'nicer' meaning my helmets, jackets, gloves etc are sport specific and at least give the appearance that I spent a significant sum of money. Perhaps that shields me from the general impression that cycling is associated with poverty, homelessness, dui's. etc.

I'm struck by the generally negative view of cyclists and how well I am treated as a cyclist.
Old 11-21-18, 04:33 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
I'm struck by the generally negative view of cyclists and how well I am treated as a cyclist.
Don't be. Some people are just clueless.
Old 11-21-18, 04:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Your secret location? Probably best it stay that way..

Your behavior created this? Or, you have a lot of other people in town that did?
Old 11-21-18, 04:49 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Just smile and wave, man, just smile and wave.
Old 11-21-18, 04:59 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Perhaps that shields me from the general impression that cycling is associated with poverty, homelessness, dui's. etc.

Huh? I’ve honestly never heard anyone express those types of opinions about cycling and cyclists.

The negative comments and behaviors I’ve observed towards cyclists are solely from drivers who don’t believe we belong on “their” roads. Because, you know, God forbid some motorists is delayed by 19.4 seconds by having to slow down for or pass a cyclist sharing the public roadways with them.

Like you, other than rude drivers, almost everyone I encounter is interested in my bikes, gear, and my narrative about why I ride.
Old 11-21-18, 05:14 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I ride to the store all the time, even in the winter. It is so much more preferable to driving there. People sometimes give me strange looks, but it's probably cause I sometimes run into the store with my spandex gear on the way home from work.

What are these articles that you are reading?? I'd be interested in seeing them.
Old 11-21-18, 05:26 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts

Now that that's out of the way, I have not run into the attitudes related by the OP. The worst I get is concern that I may have lost my mind when I'm still commuting in July and August.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 11-21-18 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 05:56 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
One time I was riding my hybrid towing my Burly Nomad trailer as I was going to the grocery store which is a mile away. It’s faster to cycle there than drive and circle around looking for a parking spot. I passed this one house with a guy who looked at me as if I had 2 heads. The funny thing is he had to be pushing 300lbs.
Old 11-21-18, 06:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
With whom?
Old 11-21-18, 06:52 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I cycle to the aldi a lot. One trip when i was loading my panniers in the snow an elderly woman took her gloves off and gave them to me. I had to explain that i chose to do this and that i also had gloves. She was as sweet as could be but had a hard time understanding what i was doing.
i find that cycling in normal clothes makes folks think your bike is your only choice... sometimes. I always where normal clothes.
Old 11-21-18, 07:36 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I never see or hear much of anything negative. People who pay any attention tend to be positive.
Old 11-21-18, 07:46 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I've been riding a lot the past 3 years, not simply for fitness and recreation but also for utility. Especially on shorter trips for groceries or other knick knacks where I previously drove. I can't do that all of the time of course, especially in winter. Well, I could, but I'd just prefer not to.

Most people I encounter, customers and store clerks, and people I just encounter while walking and riding my bike, seem very supportive, very curious and seem to be fascinated by bicycles, cycling gear and just the idea of it.

However, I just read a couple of articles where cycling is considered to be a form of transportation of last resort, for the poor, for DUI's, for homeless, etc. I readily admit that my gear is 'nicer' meaning my helmets, jackets, gloves etc are sport specific and at least give the appearance that I spent a significant sum of money. Perhaps that shields me from the general impression that cycling is associated with poverty, homelessness, dui's. etc.

I'm not sure that I buy the premise that cycling is generally associated with poverty, homelessness, dui's etc. Certainly, there are people that ride because they have no other way of getting around, but most people I know who ride for transport choose to do so - for the exercise, for their "green" impulse, for the convenience, and yes, to save money, but because they'd rather spend it on something other than running a car. I'm pretty sure there's no-one on this forum who rides because they can't afford another mode of transport. In my experience, "transport cyclists" are looked upon by the general populace as weirdos, rather than as down-and-outs. Where I live, the standard maneuver for DUI's who are banned from driving are scooters, which don't require driving licenses. Given how marginalized cycling is in US society, even those who can't afford to, or are legally unable to, drive a car, would likely rather walk than ride a bike - it just doesn't figure into their thinking.
Old 11-21-18, 08:05 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Who cares? Do you ride because you like to ride or because of cycling’s image?

Good grief, ride more worry less.
Old 11-21-18, 10:18 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I've occassionally gotten crap from coworkers over the years about biking to work. Most would think it's cool but every now and then there's someone with an issue.

Then I read someone on here say that they only got crap from their fat coworkers...and I realized that was true. The next guy who said something negative I said to him "You know...it's funny how the only people I meet who say stuff like that are overweight". Lol he didn't talk to me for a week after that.
Old 11-21-18, 10:28 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A crackhead on a walmart bike is not a cyclist?!
Old 11-21-18, 10:40 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
A crackhead on a walmart bike is not a cyclist?!
Agreed. But now you have to answer the question: is a commuter a cyclist?
Old 11-21-18, 11:34 PM
nios2

Bikes: XDS CT430

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Road cyclists riding is groups in pack formation or a single a cyclist in the middle of the road have a bad reputation here in Australia. Overweight MAMILs in cafes at the weekend have a negative reputation here.

I frequently ride to the supermarket (grocery store in Aus) and get looked at by just about everyone as I lock my commuter bike up. I put that down to where I live only young kids go to the shop on a bike, not 60+ year old men.
Old 11-22-18, 12:05 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I felt like there was a stigma at first, just like the articles you mentioned. Poor, lost your license, last resort. But I realized that nobody on the road cares if they think about it at all, which they don't. And reactions from most people are overwhelmingly positive as you also note. I think that the stigma doesn't actually exist, except for what people think that OTHER people think.
Old 11-22-18, 12:12 AM
radroad

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I'm not sure that I buy the premise that cycling is generally associated with poverty, homelessness, dui's etc. Certainly, there are people that ride because they have no other way of getting around, but most people I know who ride for transport choose to do so - for the exercise, for their "green" impulse, for the convenience, and yes, to save money, but because they'd rather spend it on something other than running a car. I'm pretty sure there's no-one on this forum who rides because they can't afford another mode of transport. In my experience, "transport cyclists" are looked upon by the general populace as weirdos, rather than as down-and-outs. Where I live, the standard maneuver for DUI's who are banned from driving are scooters, which don't require driving licenses. Given how marginalized cycling is in US society, even those who can't afford to, or are legally unable to, drive a car, would likely rather walk than ride a bike - it just doesn't figure into their thinking.
You must mean mopeds. No one can get very far on a scooter. Especially in bad weather. You can cover a fair distance with a moped. But these require a license and registration. So you actually do mean scooters. Which doesn't make any sense.
Old 11-22-18, 12:12 AM
SteelThisBike

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Intenso, Lemond Zurich, Stowe, Trek 930

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Where are these articles you're reading? In the States? People I run into say, "I really ought to get a bike". Here, everyone seems to like the concept of being a cyclist, getting fit and reducing road congestion and pollution, etc. They just don't get around to it. We have share bikes that get used, commuters on bikes, serious cyclists in full gear and weekenders riding cruisers with baskets. There's all types. I wish I could get sympathy and maybe do some lucrative panhandling on my bikes. It would help pay for the maintenance and accessories. .
Old 11-22-18, 01:11 AM
BikingTech

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Living in Idaho, I witnessed the negative attitudes around 20 years ago. But the towns and cities near me are slowly becoming "Bike Friendly" with proper bike lanes and cleaner streets. Bicycle commuting has become more common now and it is no surprise to see a fellow cyclist after 10 pm out for casual ride or heading home from work. Sure I'll see a few country boys with oversized trucks but they tend to behave themselves now.
Old 11-22-18, 05:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Most people I encounter, customers and store clerks, and people I just encounter while walking and riding my bike, seem very supportive, very curious and seem to be fascinated by bicycles, cycling gear and just the idea of it…

However, I just read a couple of articles where cycling is considered to be a form of transportation of last resort, for the poor, for DUI's, for homeless, etc

As a decades long cycle commuter and road cyclist in Metro Boston, I have previously posted about the (motoring) public perceptions and private perceptions (of me):

PUBLIC:
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I've found that most Americans think of bikes in three ways: children's toys, exotic toys for fitness fanatics and transportation of last resort for the impoverished and disadvantaged.

It's socially acceptable for an adult to dress up like a circus acrobat with friends once a week, run around in circles as quickly as possible with no other purpose or destination, but to ride a bike somewhere for a purpose implies some sort of need and is looked upon as an act of desperation.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
….It took me two readings to realize that an "...adult to dress up like a circus acrobat with friends once a week, run around in circles as quickly as possible with no other purpose or destination..." refers to joggers.
Originally Posted by bicyclelove
… Running a red light gives us (cyclists) a bad rap. Motorists see us as just scofflaws and don't respect our right to be on the road because of that. This is really the biggest thing I hear from drivers. Running red lights just makes us all look bad.

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
You are forgetting a few:

1. Bikers/cyclists are entitled (or think they are better than us.)
2. Bikers/cyclists don't pay for bike lanes/roads.
3. Bikers/cyclists ride in the middle of the lane (and should ride on the sidewalk/or on a different road/or not at all)).
4. Bikers/cyclists ride too slowly (and should ride on the sidewalk/or on a different road/or not at all).
5. Bikers/cyclists ride on the sidewalk and should ride in the bike lane (or on a different road/or not at all).
6. Bikers/cyclists roll stop signs.
7. Bikers/cyclists wear dark clothing/lycra/chartreuse/tights.
8. Bikers/cyclists don't wear helmets.
9. Bikers/cyclists don't use lights.
…One public reflection of those motorists’ attitudes is occasionally expressed on a talk radio show here in Boston, The Howie Carr Show with anti-cycling rants as the topic
Personally, I did not think the … callers to the talk show were particularly hateful, though one snow plow driver did admit to being slowed by a cyclist on a narrow road, and as he passed the cyclist he plowed out a wave of slush to his right. This winter of historic snowfalls though did bring out more hostility than usual.

Nonetheless “hatred” is way too strong a word; IMO here in Boston, more like “exasperation.”...
One thing I found funny was that he referred to cyclists as a new “protected” class, the ”Spandex-Americans.” As funny IMO, as ”Gyno-Americans.”
PRIVATE
My cycling reputation, mundane as my cycling might be to the hard-core cyclists, is always a source of amusement and conversation with my friends and acquaintances; e.g. in bad weather, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?,” or at fancy social events, “Did you ride your bike here?.” Always asked with amusement and respect.....

One of the nicest compliments I have received at work is that I am credible, and I think my cycling reputation probably supports that image.
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling, mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my serious accident four years ago.

The most hostile remarks
, particularly in Winter, are from those drivers who fear for themselves to hit me.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-22-18 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-22-18, 06:46 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Who cares? Do you ride because you like to ride or because of cycling’s image?

Good grief, ride more worry less.
Pretty much my thoughts. I'd like for everybody to like me but I don't think that's possible.
Old 11-22-18, 06:51 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Not to worry. Just remember that there is the 2 percent that is against most anything anyone wants to do. Just ignore them altho they get far more press than they should have.
Old 11-22-18, 06:51 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Pretty much my thoughts. I'd like for everybody to like me but I don't think that's possible.
I like you...and enjoy your posts.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Safe riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.