Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hate the cold, good for riding

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-28-18, 07:46 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

I abhor winter and the cold it brings, however I really enjoy riding in the cold weather as I am better able to ride harder for longer distances. The ol' body no longer gets along well with hot days at 60% throttle. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 12-28-18, 08:06 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Yes, drink less water don’t get as tired but here 40 is cold and that is all my cold weather bike clothes can manage.
Old 12-28-18, 11:35 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
No the older i get the better I stand the heat. I do have raunards syndrome so i am cold all the time. Give me a bike ride in the heat or humidity as long as i get liquids.

I do like to ride in cold and dress for it but around here wind keeps me in. Riding in cold ok if no wind.
Old 12-29-18, 02:26 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Thank Volumetric Efficiency. Although my body tends to break down quickly when exposed to more than a short period of cold temperatures.
Old 12-29-18, 05:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, I'm finding it challenging this winter to adapt to the moderately cold weather. Rode 42 miles Friday night, temp down into the high 30s. The first 12 miles to a group meetup, I was sweating but chilled under my windbreaker. Then by 30 miles my toes were numb but my torso had finally adapted so I wasn't sweating or clammy. I popped open some toe warmer chemical packets for the 12 mile ride back home and finally felt comfortable. It only took 30 miles to warm up.

On every solo road bike workout this month I've wanted to quit within the first 5 miles, just because it's taking me longer to warm up properly. I start sweating immediately but I'm not actually warm, so I feel chilled. But I know if I keep churning ahead I'll feel better after about 10 miles. I've tried warming up first on the indoor trainer but it doesn't really work. My legs are looser and ready to go, but it hasn't helped with adapting to the chilly weather.

What does seem to help is a high carb snack before and during the ride. Usually a protein/energy bar, or gel -- I like the Clif mocha with caffeine. I usually try to avoid sugary sweet junk food but I'll tell myself if I ride at least 20-30 miles, I'll stop for coffee and donuts. Seems to work.
Old 12-29-18, 06:44 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
As a post-menopausal woman, I'm finding the opposite. I don't tolerate heat and humidity very well at all. But give me the colder weather and I'm good! My ride today will be in the 20s. Not expected to get above freezing and it will be cloudy but not much wind. Over the years of hiking, running, and snowshoeing, I've built up a great collection of clothing that is multi purpose for dealing with the weather. I did invest in winter cycling boots last year which were well worth it for me. I also put bar mitts on my bikes. If I can keep my hands and feet comfortable, then the rest of me is no problem.
Old 12-29-18, 07:49 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I really enjoy riding during the winter when temperatures are in the 30-50 degree range. I tend to ride at a slightly reduced effort compared to summer riding. I'll also ride when the weather is in the twenties, but these rides need to be shorter, less than one hour.

Dressing appropriately is key. The clothing needs to breathe to avoid moisture build-up from perspiration yet it must also retain body heat. The hands and feet also need the perfect amount of wind protection while minimizing dampness from perspiration.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-30-18 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 07:56 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I commute, and 23-48F seems to be ideal. I'll ride down to 10F, but then my hands and feet get a little cold. I'll ride up to 100, but have to take it easy.

The hardest part of riding in the cold for me is waiting to hit the 10-15 minute mark where I really warm up. I "under-dress" for that, so I am a little chilly until then, except leaving the house or office, where I am still "over-dressed" for room temperature. If I am delayed getting outside I can over heat and start to perspire which is not good when hitting the cold outside air.
Old 12-29-18, 08:59 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Summer sux!
Old 12-29-18, 09:23 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Personally, I find it easier to keep warm than to stay cool. Also, I have asthma, which is really well controlled with Singulair and Symbicort plus pseudophedrine when I’m exposed to allergens; cold air isn’t a problem, but I think could take a triple dose of those three plus 4-5 puffs of albuterol during hot, humid weather, and I would still have a feeling of tightness in my chest.

I’m not a big fan of winter overall - partially the lack of daylight, partially because it just isn’t possible to do all of the outdoor activities I enjoy during the frozen times. But I could never see myself doing the typical retirement move to a Sunbelt location. Here, there are about 3 months of the worst of winter, and typically only a few opressively hot days each summet. I just couldn’t see myself trading that for up to six months trapped in air conditioned spaces, with a few better months in the winter.
Old 12-29-18, 02:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
I can tolerate cold down to low 20’s if on a mt. bike in the woods, at 10mph with no wind to deal with. On a road bike I’m good to about 40.

I’m also about to invest in some good winter SPD shoes/boots as my feet are the weak link. I can keep everything else warm or sweating, but my feet get cold and stay cold all day.
Old 12-29-18, 05:41 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Our temps and snow keep me on shorter rides, heavier clothes and heavier mountain bike. As a rule I can get a good workout in a short time frame. Winters get brutal here but at the least a shorter ride and being on the bike does keep me engaged with the sport. Trainers bore me.
Old 12-29-18, 06:50 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
I have Raynaud's as well and it really takes a lot of enjoyment out of cold weather riding. Once it gets below freezing I have a hard time motivating because the cold triggers the Raynaud's and it can take a couple hours to restore circulation after it hits.
Old 12-29-18, 07:04 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by StarBiker
Summer sux!
Originally Posted by DaveQ24

Personally, I find it easier to keep warm than to stay cool. Also, I have asthma, which is really well controlled with Singulair and Symbicort plus pseudophedrine when I’m exposed to allergens; cold air isn’t a problem, but I think could take a triple dose of those three plus 4-5 puffs of albuterol during hot, humid weather, and I would still have a feeling of tightness in my chest.

I’m not a big fan of winter overall - partially the lack of daylight, partially because it just isn’t possible to do all of the outdoor activities I enjoy during the frozen times. But I could never see myself doing the typical retirement move to a Sunbelt location. Here, there are about 3 months of the worst of winter, and typically only a few opressively hot days each summet. I just couldn’t see myself trading that for up to six months trapped in air conditioned spaces, with a few better months in the winter.
There's the old saying that you can only remove so much clothing. Nevertheless, I can tolerate the heat a heck of a lot more than I can the cold. Besides, its not that difficult to be damaged by the cold but you really have to work at it to have a physical malady caused by the heat.
Old 12-29-18, 07:22 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
There's the old saying that you can only remove so much clothing. Nevertheless, I can tolerate the heat a heck of a lot more than I can the cold. Besides, its not that difficult to be damaged by the cold but you really have to work at it to have a physical malady caused by the heat.
A local mt. bike club member, late 50's, died of an HA this past summer on a ride, it was a Sunday afternoon with temp's in the 90's and high humidity. Sometimes you need some common sense when there are extremes of weather.
Old 12-29-18, 10:01 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Agree with the OP. Hate the cold (why I moved from NY to GA) but find that I can ride really well from 48 -80 degrees. Essentially I get in really good shape until mid May at which time the temps and the HUMIDITY in Georgia get into the 90s and I essentially stop riding. I don't want to stop riding but I'm not a morning guy and by the time I get out...it's just too darn hot.

And now that summers in the south seem to be getting hotter earlier, it's even worse. I hate losing all my conditioning every summer, but the humidity down here is just killer.
Old 12-29-18, 10:33 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Come east. From around Philly, down through Baltimore, and DC, and keep going south. I deal with the heat and humidity every summer, and it is not easy to deal with. Your ass is always sweaty, and the high sun angle along with suburban sprawl, cars everywhere makes it even hotter. Completely horrible time of year. It can easily be the same temperature in Baltimore with the same humidity level as in Miami in July. People that aren't from the east coast or have not lived here underestimate the intense heat and humidity in the Summer.
Last winter was rare, but later in the winter it was mild. I always chuckle at the cold crowd. Oooh my p*ss is cold. If your dressed properly it's not cold.
You just can't escape the heat with clothing. Columbia Silverridge Shorts, white t's, and keen sandals, and I am still hot, and I have to take a shower as soon as I get in the house. (You notice, I hate summer )
Old 12-29-18, 11:28 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
It was forty this morning and I skipped my planned ride because of that.
Old 12-30-18, 06:16 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I try to ride all year around outside as I get too bored riding indoors on a trainer. I'll ride in the winter down maybe to the teens (unless it's a one or two day cold snap - then I may just take the day off). My winter rides are shorter than my long spring/summer/fall long rides. Generally, not more than 25 miles or so if the temperature is in the 30's - maybe around 15 if it's colder than that so really just trying to keep up with some base conditioning for when spring rolls around. Regarding heat, I've done a few rides in the 85 - 105 mile range where the temperature got into the mid-90's along with high humidity and I found that really difficult. If I limit the ride to 50-60 miles and get a fairly early start before the heat really ramps up, I'm ok even if the last hour is getting too hot for my comfort level. Just really need to be more conscious of staying hydrated. The 50's through 70's/low 80's is kind of my preferred sweet spot.
Old 12-30-18, 06:55 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I've always loved winter; I grew up in a cold climate skating on ponds, sledding, skiing, and snowshoeing. The cold never bothered me, even out on the flight line at -30F in North Dakota. One of my favorite poems is "Snowbound" by Whittier My main complaint about winter now is the salt they put on the roads, so that morons who never learned to drive on snow and ice can go at full speed.
Old 12-30-18, 08:58 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Classtime
It was forty this morning and I skipped my planned ride because of that.
That's it. The Cali crowd can't handle the cold. 40 is a piece of cake.

Yeah, the teens can be rough even in calm conditions for cycling.

One thing. What are people wearing. I never wear "Cycling Clothing". Fleece lined nylon pants that I buy on Amazon with pockets. Imagine wearing pants with pockets while cycling. Gasp. And a T shirt, Kuhl, zip up, and the trusty Patagonia Retro Fleece. I am completely comfortable in the 30's and 40's.
Again, you can't get enough off in the summer. Summer is a total beat down!
Old 12-30-18, 09:45 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I just can't get comfortable riding in cold weather (anywhere in the 40's). This winter I've been experimenting with different clothing configurations but still can't seem to get comfortable. I know the temps that I consider cold are probably somewhat balmy to others, but... it's just not in me. My mileage plummets when the temps drop. I'm hoping that one day I can find the right gear that will keep me warm, but until then, I'm sleeping in.
Old 12-30-18, 09:47 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I feel fortunate growing up in the Carolinas. Playing outdoors growing up has helped me love the heat of the summers. Nothing like a good sweat rolling all over you!! For me, riding in the summers is all about just keeping moving and at a manageable pace for several hours.

I’ve had to learn how to ride in the cold but I’ve found it very envigorating. It took me several seasons to figure out how to dress for colder temperatures along with getting the right clothes. The hardest part was figuring out the fingers and toes. The coldest I’ve started riding was 16 degrees. I think it warmed up to the mid 30s that day. But now for me it’s just about having the right combinations of layers needed to stay warm without a lot of sweating.

Sunshine seems to make a big difference for me. The radiant heat from the sun seems to add several degrees to the comfort factor.
Old 12-30-18, 01:35 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Sunshine seems to make a big difference for me. The radiant heat from the sun seems to add several degrees to the comfort factor.
Don't forget to factor in the wind. Yesterday was overcast all day here in the Chicago area with temps 28-31 degrees for my entire 43 mile ride but there was virtually no wind. Today is much warmer, in the upper 30's with full sunshine. But there is a very brisk wind from the south which makes today feel colder than yesterday. I did a short hike with my husband at the arboretum today and was glad that I picked yesterday for my ride.
Old 12-30-18, 07:21 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by StarBiker
Come east. From around Philly, down through Baltimore, and DC, and keep going south. I deal with the heat and humidity every summer, and it is not easy to deal with. Your ass is always sweaty, and the high sun angle along with suburban sprawl, cars everywhere makes it even hotter. Completely horrible time of year. It can easily be the same temperature in Baltimore with the same humidity level as in Miami in July. People that aren't from the east coast or have not lived here underestimate the intense heat and humidity in the Summer.
Last winter was rare, but later in the winter it was mild. I always chuckle at the cold crowd. Oooh my p*ss is cold. If your dressed properly it's not cold.
You just can't escape the heat with clothing. Columbia Silverridge Shorts, white t's, and keen sandals, and I am still hot, and I have to take a shower as soon as I get in the house. (You notice, I hate summer )
First, been there, done that. Second, this was not clever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.