Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Club blocking the MUP

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Club blocking the MUP

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 02:45 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
About 45 minutes ago I was getting onto our local MUP from the park. As I approached I saw a big clot of cyclists, I guess a club ride, stopped on the MUP. Some of their guys had apparently stopped to use the restrooms in the park and this main group was waiting for them. There was plenty of room off to the side that they could have occupied. I couldn't actually ride onto the MUP and had to stop and push my bike around this mass. I made a comment about stop blocking the whole MUP and was rewarded by some rude comments and then finally as I got loose and rode away the ever popular "F U" was heard from behind. Well, thanks for making the tail end of my pleasant ride part of your anger. Sigh.
In the time I've been riding, racing, commuting by bike since I had a paper route in the late 1950's, I've never heard the acronym "MUP". So... what does it mean?
Old 06-24-19, 02:46 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicycle...and D
I had to look up the definition of MUP. Why were you riding on "Major Urinary Protein"?
So, did you mean you came upon a kidney stone blocking your path?
This is all very confusing to me.
I am in the same position. I don't live in a major metropolitan city. What's a MUP? I've seen it used for the first time today, in three different threads. I even asked my Dallas resident millianial son thinking this was a new term, he didn't know what a MUP was either.
Old 06-24-19, 02:59 PM
oldbear63

Bikes: Fuji road bike, Trek mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Club blocking the MUP

It is human nature for groups to behave in manners that individuals would not (actually, this is a vertebrate tendency as other animals do it too).

This is called Mob Behavior, where the size of the group exaggerates individual impulses and the mob protects the rude individuals.

My club once fractured apart because riders were ignoring traffic rules and gave the finger to the bike shop owner who's name was on their jerseys.

The ideal size of a ride (or any human endeavor) is probably pretty small.
Old 06-24-19, 03:23 PM
Gunga Dan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phillman5
I am in the same position. I don't live in a major metropolitan city. What's a MUP? I've seen it used for the first time today, in three different threads. I even asked my Dallas resident millianial son thinking this was a new term, he didn't know what a MUP was either.
I'm guessing it means "Multi Use Path", but I've never heard it before either. I've biked on many trails in the Seattle/Puget Sound area, used to ride the Sammamish River Trail that ran from Bothel down to Redmond very frequently. Very pretty. Lots of decent users of all types, but there was a particular group of young mothers who would often block the entire trail with their baby carriages while the "chatted", forcing the many bikers (and everyone else) to go around them on the grass. Cynical as I am, it never ceases to amaze me what selfish schmucks people can be.

Last edited by Gunga Dan; 06-24-19 at 03:26 PM.
Likes For Gunga Dan:
Old 06-24-19, 03:45 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
MUP - Muti use path. As in bikes walkers and everything else you can think of. Here in the city there are not many horses but further out there is a crossing light with two levels of request buttons. Pedestrian and ( higher up ) horse riders. I always push both just for fun.
Old 06-24-19, 04:10 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Holy sh*t, I know this one very well. A few years back I was doing a ride into an area called "Shoreline Park" (this is in the SF Bay Area). Most of the paths are paved and are easily 3-4 people wide. I came across 3 (varyingly) recent mothers each with a kid in a stroller. They were chatting without being aware, of course. About 10-15 ft. behind I yelled out bike (did not say left or right since all 3 were wide enough for the 3 of them to fill the path None of them moved so I slowed down and came up on the left and yelled out "bike on your left". One of them, without turning around, told me that since I was on a bike I could go on the grass. Talk about discourteous and disrespectful! All sorts of things to say entered my mind. Most were angry and a few were derogatory wrt their weight. Instead, I just said "Share the path!!" and as I rode on, the one reminded me (again!) that I can ride on the grass

In that same park, different place, different time I came up behind 3 runners (2 guys, 1 girl). They were meandering back and forth across the trail and as I caught up with them, 1 guy was on the left (in the "on coming side") and the other 2 were on the right (as expected). I wove my way between them and the single guy (in the wrong lane) got on my case for not stating which side I was passing on. We exchanged some angry words and I rode on. Thinking better about it I turned and went back to make some peace. The guy who ran on the right side said he appreciated me coming back to talk with them. The idiot in the wrong lane, well, let's just say he spoke his IQ.

And the ultimate was in the same area and happened multiple times. There's a group called "Friend of the Stevens Creek Trail" - FOSCT (the trail comes from Cupertino....yes, the home of Apple all the way to the SF Bay and ends in Shoreline Park). This group holds a supposed fund raising 5K and 10K once a year (sometime around Sept./Oct.). They start about a mile outside the Park, circle in and thru it and back to the finish line.

I used to do rides into Shoreline on weekends (now do them midweek to avoid this kind of crap), and that turns out to be when they hold their run. There were 2 things that really pissed me off. First is that the trail, tho paved, is only ~2-1/2 people wide and, when the race goes, there are mobs of runners that take up the trail width. Problem with this is that the trail is on top of a kind of levee (ponds on 1 side, the actual Stevens Creek on the other). So the trail drops of precipitously on either side. No way to go around on bike or on foot without serious injury Most people are pretty good when you yell "bike on left" but it's still a slog to get thru the hordes of people. The worst part is a number of them are listening to music (or some such) and don't hear you until you're right up next to them and practically yell in their ear. More than couple of times someone was apparently surprised at my presence and they nearly turned into me as they turned around to see what was going on. Keep in mind that part of the trail has a painted center line, but is apparently only a suggestion of an idea

The other near disastrous part is that, as the trail enters the park, one part goes straight (towards the bay) and the other splits left (to go around a ponding area). This is where the FOSCT established a split point between the 5K (to the left) and 10K (straight on) runners. In, and of, itself, this isn't a problem. However, on my first ride that I encountered incompetence (and a severely disrespectful attitude) I had gone into the park and circled back around and was coming in the opposite direction of the 5K split on my way out. I was cruising along enjoying the ride, weather and scenery, and I looked up at these runners coming right at me (as in, I'm in the right lane and the runners were in that same lane coming from the opposite direction). I held my place and all the runners had to go into the dirt to avoid getting taken out by my bike (of course, someone at a water table not far away saw this and yelled "Hey, buddy!!" as if I had no right to be where I was).

I wanted to figure out what had happened so, when that group of runners had passed, I got off my bike and couldn't believe what I saw: Some dunce head had put down tape arrows to show the runners which way was 10K and which was 5K.arrows. What that person had done, tho, was to direct the runners for the 5K into the left side of the trail as it split, leaving the right side completely open. And the reason the runners came right at me was becuz the same idiot had put up cones to keep the lanes divided, which gave the runners (and me) no where to go.

What made it even worse, and caused me to lose all respect for this group, is that I tracked down the race director (who wasn't far away from this disaster point) and tried to tell him the accidents waiting to happen and he should take a look at what was set up. All he had to say? He didn't have time, he had a race to run and if I had any issues I could take it up with the city. The following year, I stopped at this point to see if any of my input had been considered. Same thing. Found the race director again adn ntold him and got the same condescending and disrespectful response I had gotten the year before.

This went on for the 3 years I rode there on the weekend and it was always the same. I contacted the city a number of times and all they did was forward my concerns to the exec. director who wouldn't even acknowledge he'd look into it, and that they couldn't change anything any way because they might lose their US Track and Field sanction of their races. All I could think was that this group didn't give 1 damn about anything else, even if their race created a hazard for both their runners and other users of the trail.

Haven't been there on their race day for a number of years (5+?) so I have no idea if they fixed it, but I also no longer care if they did. But I will never forget that self-centered, self-absorbed, arrogant and discourteous and stupid race director. I hope he screwed things up so bad for the group that they stopped using him to manage the races.

Apologies...went on longer than I really expected. Thanks for letting me get this out

Cheers.....

Originally Posted by GlennR
Large groups are not fun. you're constantly waiting to regroup at lights and slower riders. 15 is my absolute limit but depending on the group, i'll drop off if its over 10.

----------------------------------------------------

Sunday my wife wanted to take my 2 year old grand daughter on a walk in the preserve. So there were 3 adults and a stroller walking on the MUP. I had to tell my wife and daughter a dozen times not to walk 3 across because they are not giving room for cyclists and runners to pass.

My own family was doing what I hate the most.

If you stop to talk, please step off the path.
Old 06-24-19, 04:42 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Really?

Multi use path.

WTF is WTF?
I was taught never use an abbreviation unless its well understood. I'm referring to abbreviation such USA or FBI, which 98% of the population would immediately understand, don't need to be spelled out.

Nevertheless, others such as MD can have multiple meanings (am I referring to a medical doctor or the State of Maryland?) and may depend on context to understand them. If I determine an abbreviation may be otherwise ambiguous, I'll spell it out initially then abbreviate after that. But its really up to the author.

In this case, I'd say MUP is common enough to be understood, at least by the majority of the cycling community here, even though there may always be a few new to cycling that may not immediately know what it is.
Originally Posted by Turner2
It must be so inconvenient for you that there are other people in the world. As you go forward in life you might find things go better for you when you make an effort to get along with others rather than trying to make them get along with you.

When I ride single track if I meet a solo rider I expect him/her to give way as much as I do. That's just common courtesy. But when I meet a group I always get out of the way and let them pass. That's just common sense.
That's not common sense at all.
Old 06-24-19, 04:45 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I hate to sound like a dork: but I read through a lot of this thread, and I STILL don't know what MUP is.
Old 06-24-19, 07:01 PM
Turner2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
...That's not common sense at all.
Well you know what they say about common sense. It's really not that common. And you just proved that.
Old 06-24-19, 07:07 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
One reason I avoid MUPs.

This for the win!

I only ride MUP's if it is positively, absolutely the last viable option to get from point A to point B, even if there are points C, D, and F involved.
Old 06-24-19, 07:46 PM
NeilBurt

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
MUPs

One reason I avoid MUPs.
If I knew what a MUP was, I'd avoid it, or them too.
Old 06-24-19, 08:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Turner2
It must be so inconvenient for you that there are other people in the world. As you go forward in life you might find things go better for you when you make an effort to get along with others rather than trying to make them get along with you.

When I ride single track if I meet a solo rider I expect him/her to give way as much as I do. That's just common courtesy. But when I meet a group I always get out of the way and let them pass. That's just common sense.
If it's a divided path, I expect the group to keep to its lane, as that is the actual rule they are supposed to follow. But your bit of nastiness to the op is completely inappropriate. It has nothing to do with what he posted. The group wasn't even riding, they were just standing around on the path. No one is supposed to block the path like that--that's just common sense.
Old 06-24-19, 08:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by dkatz1
I hate to sound like a dork: but I read through a lot of this thread, and I STILL don't know what MUP is.
My Unicorn Pedro.

Massive Umbrella Pants.

Mistress Ursula, Please!

Makeup party!

Miserable Ungrateful Peasants

Maritime Union Pension
Old 06-24-19, 08:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Mistress Ursula, Please!
This is a "family" site, but Google it if you dare.
Old 06-24-19, 08:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by NeilBurt
Multi-use path.
Old 06-24-19, 09:06 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I've been riding for 20 years, and I've either never heard that term, or never heard it enough for it to sneak in. And I mostly avoid such places.
Old 06-24-19, 09:26 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Many Uncouth Personages

Actually I've found the opposite - lots of great people. Though that makes the infrequent exceptions memorably exceptional.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-25-19 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 10:51 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Some cyclists are really good at making us all look bad.
Some?? I'd say a a lot of cyclists make us look bad, both mtn bikers and road cyclists.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 06-25-19, 07:22 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Some?? I'd say a a lot of cyclists make us look bad, both mtn bikers and road cyclists.
Yeah. You're right. It is really a lot.
Old 06-25-19, 08:14 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Does anyone know why the latest mountain bikes all have like 3ft wide handlebars..? Seriously no need.
Old 06-25-19, 09:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Does anyone know why the latest mountain bikes all have like 3ft wide handlebars..? Seriously no need.
Doubles as a clothesline.
Old 06-25-19, 09:16 AM
sanchan
Proud Pinarello Owner

Bikes: Pinarello (1985)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What the hell is a “MUP” ?
About 45 minutes ago I was getting onto our local MUP from the park. As I approached I saw a big clot of cyclists, I guess a club ride, stopped on the MUP. Some of their guys had apparently stopped to use the restrooms in the park and this main group was waiting for them. There was plenty of room off to the side that they could have occupied. I couldn't actually ride onto the MUP and had to stop and push my bike around this mass. I made a comment about stop blocking the whole MUP and was rewarded by some rude comments and then finally as I got loose and rode away the ever popular "F U" was heard from behind. Well, thanks for making the tail end of my pleasant ride part of your anger. Sigh.
Old 06-25-19, 09:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

MUP - Muti use path. As in bikes walkers and everything else you can think of. Here in the city there are not many horses but further out there is a crossing light with two levels of request buttons. Pedestrian and ( higher up ) horse riders. I always push both just for fun.
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Originally Posted by NeilBurt
Multi-use path.
Originally Posted by sanchan
What the hell is a “MUP” ?

Somehow, I think this is what a panel discussion sounds like at the Excessive Ear Wax Sufferers' convention.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-25-19, 11:01 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Somehow, I think this is what a panel discussion sounds like at the Excessive Ear Wax Sufferers' convention.
What ??
Old 06-25-19, 11:07 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
And I get criticized for sounding like a broken record.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.