Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Backpack Impounded

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Backpack Impounded

Old 02-12-08, 09:33 AM
thelung

Bikes: some piece of s h i t

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just pocket 30 bucks worth of saffron the next time you go in there. revenge.
Old 02-12-08, 10:17 AM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Any other people have to deal with this type of situation?
yes, but only 10+ years ago as a teenager. I bet 100 to 1 the overactive manager was worried about theft and nothing else.

Go back to the store and complain to the current manager on duty. You have names, right? if not, you have the date & time it happened. make a bit of a stink about it. Write a nice letter to their corporate office https://www.kroger.com/help/Pages/contact_us.aspx

Most retail stores loose 5-10% of their merchandise to "shrinkage": theft! I bet you looked suspicious to them
Old 02-12-08, 10:20 AM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DancesWithBeats
I had a huge reply typed out and then didn't submit it right away. The forum automatically logged me out and swallowed my reply. I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to spend the time typing that out again--honestly, I won't. I suspect that an auto-log-out feature is really over-zealous in the security department. It's your own personal responsibility to log out of public forums when using a shared computer.
suggestion: type it up in Word or as a text note. then copy & paste. otherwise it will get eaten on occasion.
cheers
Old 02-12-08, 11:57 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or open the package in a way that makes it obvious that someone messed with it.

I had a huge reply typed out and then didn't submit it right away. The forum automatically logged me out and swallowed my reply.
Originally Posted by acroy
suggestion: type it up in Word or as a text note. then copy & paste. otherwise it will get eaten on occasion.
cheers
As of about 6 months ago, they changed the system so that (in my experience) it's possible to just log-in again when you see the message that says "you don't have permission to post", and then the post will be put up. I have also had intermittent success with using the "back" button in my browser.
Old 02-12-08, 03:32 PM
JusticeZero
Rider

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The stores here don't take backpacks., but they do ask that any bags be offered for inspection to check for stolen goods.
Old 02-12-08, 03:44 PM
maneki_neko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never had a problem with having a backpack in a store, but I'll never shop at Kroger's ever again just because they treat their employees like crap. For instance, my mom worked there several years ago, and every time she got a raise, they'd cut her hours so she wouldn't make any more money. Plus, they demanded that their employees join a union (and pay dues, of course), but they were only paying minimum wage, so not only were the employees making peanuts, but the union was completely worthless, as my mom soon discovered. That place radiates bad juju!
Old 02-12-08, 03:53 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by maneki_neko
. Plus, they demanded that their employees join a union (and pay dues, of course), but they were only paying minimum wage, so not only were the employees making peanuts, but the union was completely worthless, as my mom soon discovered. That place radiates bad juju!
You realize it was the workers at Kroger that voted for Union representation. I can assure you that Kroger didn't volunteer for their workers to be union represented.
Old 02-12-08, 03:58 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thelung
Well the long-term picture is better. God bless the short attention spans of Americans.

My final strategy for that store was to just plunk my backpack in a cart just as women put their purses in, and that seems to have dropped me below their radar.

Then, just before Christmas, another Kroger tried it. They made a real fuss, and I gave them a good long verbal sparring. I also bought a reel of tickets and some tape so that if they were going to be fussy, at least I would be able to insure accountability on their part. Two tickets, the same number, I get one, one goes on my pack. Available at any Office Depot.

Then I spent a couple of weeks flying around the country to visit family and friends. When I got back, I nervously went in, but no one seemed to notice my backpack, so I plunked it in the shopping cart and strolled in to do my shopping.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-12-08, 05:42 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pretty simple policy. I refuse. If they want me to leave they can ask me to and I will comply as it is their property. But they don't get to search me or my belongings without a cop present. If they think I shoplifted they can call the cop in and he can go through it. If they want to they can call one. I frequently have a loaded firearm in my bag so that's another reason I won't hand it over to them.

However, I live in a free state. Other states have laws giving rent a cops enormous authority. Learn your own code or you might get killed.
Old 02-12-08, 05:58 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
I have a pretty simple policy. I refuse. If they want me to leave they can ask me to and I will comply as it is their property. But they don't get to search me or my belongings without a cop present.
As I stated in the OP. Kroger has a virtual monopoly in the area. Their only competition is Harvest Foods, a wholly owned subsidiary. There is one Whole Foods Market in the metropolitan area.

And usually there is a cop present in the store. He/She's off duty, acting as a security guard for the store.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-12-08, 06:07 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you mean there are no other stores at all? No costco, no natural food places, no mom and pop grocery stores? That's just nasty. I'd leave the state.

Moonlighting cops are a very serious problem, and they have in fact killed suspected shoplifters in the past. That's why I mentioned getting killed. Some states allow them, others forbid the practice. I find it vile, since it allows an LEO to utilize broad peace officer power (including killing fleeing suspects) to protect some private store owner's inventory.

I would not live in such a place. But if you're stuck there you're stuck there. You cannot argue with a cop. Never consent to anything, but don't try to stop them or they'll kill you.
Old 02-12-08, 06:26 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Back apck

Originally Posted by cosmo starr
i wont check my bag unless they require women to check their purses at the door too....
You Messed Up. Sir That is My Purse. Then continue shopping.
I worked for Kroger 18 Years.

Old 02-12-08, 08:18 PM
maneki_neko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, then I have no idea why the union was there; from what I understand, they were totally worthless, and everyone seemed to resent having to pay them dues.
Old 02-12-08, 08:54 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As I stated in the OP. Kroger has a virtual monopoly in the area. Their only competition is Harvest Foods, a wholly owned subsidiary. There is one Whole Foods Market in the metropolitan area.

And usually there is a cop present in the store. He/She's off duty, acting as a security guard for the store.
I try to do most of my shopping at Whole Foods, and when I'm there (or any other store, for that matter), I do what you do: I put my pack in a shopping cart and go shopping. Haven't been hassled once about it.
Old 02-12-08, 08:58 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Them: " Our policy is ....."
Me: " My policy is ....., and my policy also states that when two policies are contradictory, we shall follow the policy of the one who is spending the money ".
Old 02-12-08, 10:25 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
Do you mean there are no other stores at all? No costco, no natural food places, no mom and pop grocery stores? That's just nasty. I'd leave the state.
This is WalMartkansas. Costco doesn't dare enter the state. Admittedly, some of the WalMarts sell food. None near me. As I said, one Whole Foods Market in the metro area, quite a few EZ Mart convenience stores. No mom and pop grocery stores.

Old 02-18-08, 09:27 AM
cutman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode to a Kroger this weekend with my messenger-style shoulder bag and a pair of baskets (I use the Novara 'Round-Town panniers - highly recommend). No one said a word, though I did get a few curious looks as I was packing groceries into the panniers. So I guess it's not all Krogers.
Old 02-18-08, 09:40 AM
bike2math

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my technique, which I have used twice with positive results. First you have to think like the security/manager: their goal is get through their shift with the bare minimum of hassles.

So, every single time I enter the store I take up as much of their time as I can. The first time, I just pretend like I don't hear them and keep shopping with them following me. The second time, I argue with them for an hour (I mumble so they have to keep asking me to repeat what I said). The third time, I leave and come back immediately and keep repeating this for an hour. and so on. When I run out of ideas I start over from the beginning.

Within a month they give up and just let me do my thing. It seemed to help when i learned their names, but in the end the technique is to waste their time and make it clear to them you aren't stealing.
Old 02-18-08, 11:40 AM
dee-vee
vegan powered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is 1 grocery store here that I have boycotted because they wont let me wear my backpack, yet they allow women with giant purses. A lot of stores these days let you bring your own grocery bags so just tell them thats what you backpack is for. I agree it is BS.
Old 02-18-08, 04:55 PM
Brian T
still commuting......

Bikes: Trek 930, 97&00 Trek 6000 Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Nope - I'll keep whining. What about enormous baby strollers and women's purses? I've never seen these requested to be given up. A SUV stroller can pack in a lot more TNT than my messenger bag. Your right, your still whining...

I'm not going to give my most important daily items: cell phone, wallet, checkbook, medical supplies, work material, etc. over to someone I don't know. Then dont shop there. You have a choice to shop there, Just as they have a choice to elevate their security.

Everytime a store person asks me to hand over something I simply say: No, I'm more comfortable carrying it with me, thank you. Then I keep walking. Usually they don't follow me, end of issue. If they follow me and ask me to hand it over again I'll politely leave.

The mistake people make in this situation is to pause and start chatting when someone says "SIR, you need to...." Just say "No Thank You" and briskly walk about your business. In most cases with me they don't make the effort or don't care. And I'm not going to get into an argument with a clerk or secuity guard about my rights or their store rights when all I want is some ice cream or a can of soup. Your part of the real problem.
Also I don't pause and return to the store when the Walgreens alarm starts blaring every time I've obviously JUST paid for something. I keep on walking, and have never been followed out of the store.
Do you sleep better because your a rebel...

If you act professional and walk with a purpose people will see you that way.
I'm not really seeing it that way. I see it as being a ........
Old 02-18-08, 08:19 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cutman
I rode to a Kroger this weekend with my messenger-style shoulder bag and a pair of baskets (I use the Novara 'Round-Town panniers - highly recommend). No one said a word, though I did get a few curious looks as I was packing groceries into the panniers. So I guess it's not all Krogers.
Nope, its pretty obvious that Kroger managers have a lot of freedom to run things as they like. Lots of variety in how each one stocks their shelves and what rules they enforce, but if they get flack for it, they all claim that it's a "company policy" and their hands are tied. Yeah right.

Old 02-19-08, 01:20 PM
Desert_Donkey

Bikes: 2000 Diamondback X-Link

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroMax
You mean like negroes in the South sitting at Woolworth's lunch counter?
Exactly where in the South do they do that? I've lived here my whole life and have never seen what you describe. I would hazard a guess that your information about the South comes from the lurid and ridiculous mis-characterizations that spew forth from Hollywood, and not from actually visiting down here.

It seems gross overgeneralizations and crass stereotyping are not the sole preserve of conservatives.
Old 02-19-08, 02:54 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert_Donkey
Exactly where in the South do they do that? I've lived here my whole life and have never seen what you describe. I would hazard a guess that your information about the South comes from the lurid and ridiculous mis-characterizations that spew forth from Hollywood, and not from actually visiting down here.

It seems gross overgeneralizations and crass stereotyping are not the sole preserve of conservatives.
I don't think you lived in the South in the early '60s, or you would remember; and I think you missed Bro Max's point. He was responding to Pedex commenting about store manager's claims to have the right to do as they please within their store, in our case, impounding our backpacks. He was pointing out that in the '60s store owners claimed that they had the right to do as they please within their stores. And Civil Rights protesters proved that they did not. And Bro Max was right on target.

Since this is Black History Month, its good to remember that on February 2, 1960 twenty-five men and four women entered the Woolworth's in Greensboro, North Carolina and did a sit-in . They protested the idea that store owners could do as they pleased. In their case it was store owners forbidding people to enter their stores on the basis of their skin color. But it proves the point that store owners don't necessarily have free reign to do what ever they want in their store.

Old 02-19-08, 03:30 PM
Desert_Donkey

Bikes: 2000 Diamondback X-Link

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you lived in the South in the early '60s, or you would remember; and I think you missed Bro Max's point. He was responding to Pedex commenting about store manager's claims to have the right to do as they please within their store, in our case, impounding our backpacks. He was pointing out that in the '60s store owners claimed that they had the right to do as they please within their stores. And Civil Rights protesters proved that they did not. And Bro Max was right on target.

Since this is Black History Month, its good to remember that on February 2, 1960 twenty-five men and four women entered the Woolworth's in Greensboro, North Carolina and did a sit-in . They protested the idea that store owners could do as they pleased. In their case it was store owners forbidding people to enter their stores on the basis of their skin color. But it proves the point that store owners don't necessarily have free reign to do what ever they want in their store.
I understood his point perfectly. However, Bro Max said "The South", not Greensboro, North Carolina, which is using a very broad brush to paint us all into the corner of racism and intolerance. The South of the 1960's is gone. It's high time that the rest of the country realized this fact and stopped believing in the tired old leftist stereotypes.
Old 02-19-08, 03:57 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert_Donkey
I understood his point perfectly. However, Bro Max said "The South", not Greensboro, North Carolina, which is using a very broad brush to paint us all into the corner of racism and intolerance. The South of the 1960's is gone. It's high time that the rest of the country realized this fact and stopped believing in the tired old leftist stereotypes.
I don't think that Bro Max was using stereotypes. He was referring to very specific incidents that set very real legal precedents. Though I doubt that he took the time to research all the dates and times. He told it as he remembered it.

I wouldn't be quite so sensitive. The incident in Greensboro was one of a whole wave of events that played out across the South. Racism is alive and well here in the South just as it is everywhere. Just juxtapose the Jena 6 and the 50th anniversary of the Little Rock 9 which happened at the same time. Most people know that it's not isolated to one area of the country. Just think of Manzanar and Skokie.

I also think you are stereotyping us on the left. Many of us come from fine old Southern families.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.