Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

SUV owners keep on truckin' despite gas prices

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

SUV owners keep on truckin' despite gas prices

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 06:40 PM
Lamplight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Specialized fan
Because mental illness fascinates me. I bet if you were all multi millionaires you wouldn't be car free, you would at least have a limo. I was car free for years and it is a hard life I wouldn't wish on any one, going to the store or any erred is a ***** as all of you're free time is spent going to the store or some other erred, and riding is really fun when it's 115* outside, no thanks, why you would choose a hard life is really amusing as I know some here have high paying jobs and could easily afford a car. I could understand if you were dirt poor, as I once was and rode 50 miles a day and it sucked as it took so long to get anything done and getting a date, forget it! People in society who can drive but don't have a car are considered losers and for many years I got a hard lesson in that, and try doing an office job after you get to work you smell like bo after you're ride to work, it just sucks. When you have idiots wishing for $20 gas, this is a true moron and is just too amusing to pass up, oh and the dumpster diving threads, now there is great fun.
So since being car-free sucked for you, you assume it sucks for everyone. I happen to live in a very car-centric town, and driving here sucks more than anything. I could easily afford a car but why would I want one? Yes, being car-free here can be difficult sometimes, but for me it doesn't hold a candle to the aggravation of owning a car and driving in a hell-hole like this. Since I stopped driving I'm happier, healthier, and wealthier than I've ever been. I also have more free time than when I drove 31 miles to work every day. And as far as people thinking I'm a loser for voluntarily not driving, well...I'm not terribly concerned what geniuses like that think.

You've obviously read quite a few posts here, yet it seems like you've ignored all the people telling how much better their lives are since they stopped driving. Heck, I had high blood pressure and cholesterol before I started riding to work, but no more. I was also struggling financially, now I can pretty much buy anything I want (within reason of course) all on a blue-collar salary. All thanks to my "mental illness".
Old 07-01-08, 06:52 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Because mental illness fascinates me. I bet if you were all multi millionaires you wouldn't be car free, you would at least have a limo. I was car free for years and it is a hard life I wouldn't wish on any one, going to the store or any erred is a ***** as all of you're free time is spent going to the store or some other erred, and riding is really fun when it's 115* outside, no thanks, why you would choose a hard life is really amusing as I know some here have high paying jobs and could easily afford a car. I could understand if you were dirt poor, as I once was and rode 50 miles a day and it sucked as it took so long to get anything done and getting a date, forget it! People in society who can drive but don't have a car are considered losers and for many years I got a hard lesson in that, and try doing an office job after you get to work you smell like bo after you're ride to work, it just sucks. When you have idiots wishing for $20 gas, this is a true moron and is just too amusing to pass up, oh and the dumpster diving threads, now there is great fun.
A sizable portion of the world's population lives just fine without cars, and even more live fine without oversized SUV's, I don't think too many clinical psychiatrists would consider them mentally ill.

Denmark has one of the highest standards of living in the world and they have a population of 5.4 million and right around 2 million cars...that indicates a fairly high percentage of car free people

The US is over 765 per 1,000 about double the Danish rate...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-01-08, 06:57 PM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are 450 millions cars in the world, and 6 billion people. The majority are living without a car, so i guess it's doable.
Old 07-01-08, 07:31 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
why you would choose a hard life is really amusing as I know some here have high paying jobs and could easily afford a car. I could understand if you were dirt poor, as I once was and rode 50 miles a day and it sucked as it took so long to get anything done and getting a date, forget it! People in society who can drive but don't have a car are considered losers and for many years I got a hard lesson in that, and try doing an office job after you get to work you smell like bo after you're ride to work, it just sucks.
You associate car-free or car-light living with poverty; I see it as a rich way of life.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but the primary reason I've gone car-light isn't because I can't afford anything better or because environmental or political leaders have told me to stop driving. I simply feel happier and more alive when I'm cycling or walking than when I'm driving.

Any other benefits I may enjoy as a result of cycling are secondary. I ride because I love to ride. I've tried to make it as much a part of my life as possible. And in doing so, I find myself driving less often.
Old 07-01-08, 07:42 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
You associate car-free or car-light living with poverty; I see it as a rich way of life.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but the primary reason I've gone car-light isn't because I can't afford anything better or because environmental or political leaders have told me to stop driving. I simply feel happier and more alive when I'm cycling or walking than when I'm driving.

Any other benefits I may enjoy as a result of cycling are secondary. I ride because I love to ride. I've tried to make it as much a part of my life as possible. And in doing so, I find myself driving less often.
+1
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 07-01-08, 07:54 PM
adgrant

Bikes: Still researching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because mental illness fascinates me. I bet if you were all multi millionaires you wouldn't be car free, you would at least have a limo. I was car free for years and it is a hard life I wouldn't wish on any one, going to the store or any erred is a ***** as all of you're free time is spent going to the store or some other erred, and riding is really fun when it's 115* outside, no thanks, why you would choose a hard life is really amusing as I know some here have high paying jobs and could easily afford a car.
I am not a multi-millionaire but I could buy or lease a nice new BMW tomorrow if I was so inclined. However, since I live in Manhattan and can easily rent a 5 series BMW, it seems like a waste of money. There are plenty of stores less than five minutes walk from my apartment and most will deliver anything too heavy to carry (including Home Depot). I just use my bike for recreation not transportation.

75% of Manhattan's 1.6 million residents do not have a car. Many of those 1.2 million car free people are quite wealthy. That said there are people in the city who keep drivers on staff and use them to ferry their children around the city in obscenely large SUVs.

I have to admit though that if I left the city or got a weekend home, I would be down to the BMW dealer in an instant.
Old 07-01-08, 08:00 PM
cutman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because mental illness fascinates me.
It's actually quite the norm in many locales to not own a car or to own one and use it infrequently, especially when one can walk, bike, or ride transit basically anywhere he or she needs to go. I don't think my chosen lifestyle can compare to mental illness.

I bet if you were all multi millionaires you wouldn't be car free, you would at least have a limo.
If money were no object to me I probably would own a vehicle, but I promise you it would see at most the same amount of use our car does today. Parking in this area sucks, and it's much easier to get around on foot and/or using transit.

I was car free for years and it is a hard life I wouldn't wish on any one, going to the store or any erred is a ***** as all of you're free time is spent going to the store or some other erred,
It may have been a hard life for you, wherever you were living. Not everyone lives where you live (or lived when you were car free). I know of more than a few places in the United States that would be quite difficult to get around without a car. But there are many others where owning a car is more trouble than it's worth.

It's also worth mentioning that getting around on foot or on a bike makes for great utilitarian exercise. I'm in great shape and don't require a gym membership.

and riding is really fun when it's 115* outside, no thanks,
Doesn't reach temperatures nearly that high where I live. But when it's uncomfortably hot or cold I might walk or take the bus.

why you would choose a hard life is really amusing as I know some here have high paying jobs and could easily afford a car. I could understand if you were dirt poor, as I once was and rode 50 miles a day and it sucked as it took so long to get anything done and getting a date, forget it!
From your responses in this thread, I can't help but wonder if it wasn't necessarily living car free that kept you from getting dates.

People in society who can drive but don't have a car are considered losers and for many years I got a hard lesson in that,
It's not our problem that you're so negatively affected by what others think of you. Riding a bike where I live now, where I lived for the last three years, and where I went to college (three different locations in two different states) was never something for "losers" - it was and is quite common.

and try doing an office job after you get to work you smell like bo after you're ride to work, it just sucks.
Most cycle commuters I know pack a change of clothes and some deodorant. Some offices even have showers. Plus starting the day after a bike ride, with all the endorphins that can produce, is way better than I've ever felt after sitting in rush hour traffic.

When you have idiots wishing for $20 gas, this is a true moron and is just too amusing to pass up, oh and the dumpster diving threads, now there is great fun.
No - great fun is picking apart the over-arching generalizations of an SUV driver in the "Living Car Free" subforum.
Old 07-02-08, 10:34 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by adgrant
I have to admit though that if I left the city or got a weekend home, I would be down to the BMW dealer in an instant.
To "rent" a BMW for a jaunt to the weekend house....right?

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-02-08, 10:43 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cutman
From your responses in this thread, I can't help but wonder if it wasn't necessarily living car free that kept you from getting dates.
Old 07-02-08, 10:46 AM
annc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
Why do you even post in this forum? Obviously you think it's idiotic to be car free, so why waste your time getting all worked up over something that you have no intention of being involved in? Are you just shooting for high blood pressure or what? That would be like me posting on a Hummer message board about how stupid people who drive Hummers are. It would be pointless.
Err... the common term is a troll
Old 07-02-08, 04:48 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by annc
Err... the common term is a troll
I concluded that after I wasted several minutes typing.
Old 07-02-08, 05:18 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
I'm one of those people, except that I don't experience all this 'hardship' you speak of. What I do gather from your post is that car-free doesn't really sit well with you.

When winter comes some people go skiing while some people freeze to death. When the post-peak oil winter hits I somehow can't see you skiing, unlike many on this forum. In the meantime do enjoy your SUV, if you're prepared to pay for it I say go ahead and enjoy it while you can. I don't know if anyone is 'wishing' for $20 gas but what I am certain of is that it will happen, and soon.
Old 07-02-08, 07:31 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
A sizable portion of the world's population lives just fine without cars, and even more live fine without oversized SUV's, I don't think too many clinical psychiatrists would consider them mentally ill.
The psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, clinical psychologists, and social workers I work with seem to think I'm a mentally stable person. To be honest, crazy people don't last long in behavioral healthcare administration. At least they don't where I work.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-02-08, 08:59 PM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lamplight
I concluded that after I wasted several minutes typing.
Yea, but it was fun to read the stuff you guys were posting..

Therefore it wasn't a complete waste of time...

"To "rent" a BMW for a jaunt to the weekend house....right? "

That's what 'leasing' is, except you're committed to years instead of a weekend..

Cheers!
Old 07-03-08, 07:34 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
The psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, clinical psychologists, and social workers I work with seem to think I'm a mentally stable person. To be honest, crazy people don't last long in behavioral healthcare administration. At least they don't where I work.
Actually now that I think about it, car free living actually makes quite a few people MORE mentally stable. Reduces stress levels, blood pressure, reduces need for some medications, etc. So the ones that really have the mental illness are the ones that drive cars

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-03-08, 08:00 AM
adgrant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heywood
Yea, but it was fun to read the stuff you guys were posting..

Therefore it wasn't a complete waste of time...

"To "rent" a BMW for a jaunt to the weekend house....right? "

That's what 'leasing' is, except you're committed to years instead of a weekend..

Cheers!
I have frequently rented BMW for weekend trips out of the city. Zipcar will rent you a BMW 528i for $226 a day. A 328i costs about $180 for the day.
Old 07-03-08, 08:58 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I have frequently rented BMW for weekend trips out of the city. Zipcar will rent you a BMW 528i for $226 a day. A 328i costs about $180 for the day.

Granted that those prices are cheap compared to some extravagant expenditures, but still too steep for what I willing to pay for a one or two day ride in a rented car.

Old 07-03-08, 10:39 AM
adgrant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Granted that those prices are cheap compared to some extravagant expenditures, but still too steep for what I willing to pay for a one or two day ride in a rented car.
I can understand that. OTOH leasing, insuring and garaging a 528 in Manhattan will cost about $1200 to $1400 a month.
Old 07-03-08, 10:56 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephPaul86
So you are saying without a motor aided vehicle, people cannot be married, have kids, and be responsible?

And FYI I have a house we had built in Sept 2007, girlfriend of five years, and a kid on the way in October.

Thank you for being an ass on the car-free forum. Would you like a receipt?
Not trying to be an ass, this is a serious question:

With a 60 mile daily commute, I'm going to assume that's 4 hours a day on the bike (including prep times.)
If you're working a regular 8 hour day (with a 1 hour lunch), then you're gone for 13 hours a day for 5 days a week.
When does this leave time for spending with the kid? My fiancee and I juggle our schedules around enough to take care of our dog. I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be with a child.
Old 07-03-08, 11:57 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Not trying to be an ass, this is a serious question:

With a 60 mile daily commute, I'm going to assume that's 4 hours a day on the bike (including prep times.)
If you're working a regular 8 hour day (with a 1 hour lunch), then you're gone for 13 hours a day for 5 days a week.
When does this leave time for spending with the kid? My fiancee and I juggle our schedules around enough to take care of our dog. I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be with a child.
I've got two kids and ride 60 mile RT to work.
Get up at 5:30am, on the bike by 6am, be at work at 8am, eat lunch at desk and don't take a lunch hour, hop on bike at 4pm and be home by 6pm. Leaves 2.5 hours to play with the kids. Bedtime by 10pm.

It's not that hard.
Old 07-03-08, 02:22 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've only (compared to 60) got a 30 mile r/t commute, and there's barely enough hours in the day to get errands and chores accomplished and have any time left afterwards to relax for a bit. Everybody's situation is different, though. For me, an extra 2 hours a day on the bike would be a serious strain on things at home.
Old 07-03-08, 04:42 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But does it have to be a car though? For some years I had a lightweight motorcycle and sidecar outfit, - and two small children as well. Waaaaay better than any car for getting about and my kids loved it
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 07-03-08, 09:09 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I can understand that. OTOH leasing, insuring and garaging a 528 in Manhattan will cost about $1200 to $1400 a month.
I wasn't referring to car ownership when making my budget analogy, just car rentals in general. The wife and I can rent a more modest car for a week or more as compared to weekend with a BMW.

Old 07-03-08, 09:17 PM
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was a multi millionaire I would have one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bdd4...eature=related
Old 07-06-08, 02:39 PM
adgrant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I wasn't referring to car ownership when making my budget analogy, just car rentals in general. The wife and I can rent a more modest car for a week or more as compared to weekend with a BMW.
If I am renting a car for a week it won't be a BMW either (and I won't be renting it in Manhattan). However, most of the time I need a car, it is for a day only. Renting any car in Manhattan is going to cost over $100 a day when you include the gas (which is included in the zip car numbers).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.