Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Water Bottle Cage

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-17, 08:24 PM
20davidf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Water Bottle Cage

I recently purchased a Trek FX 7.2 and I want to outfit my bike with two cheap but sturdy water bottle cages. I want something that is easy to install but also holds on to various water bottle sizes well and does not cause the bottle to fall. Hopefully, I can buy this on Amazon, and my price range is 5-10 bucks. Any suggestions?
Old 06-17-17, 08:58 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Basic aluminum cages are all you need.

https://www.amazon.com/UShake-Bicycl...er+bottle+cage
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-17-17, 10:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, basic aluminum or "alloy" cages work fine. Cost less than $10. I have three with different brand names -- Nashbar, REI's house brand, others -- but they're all pretty much the same. They can safely be bent slightly to keep the desired tension on the bottle, depending on the bottle design.

Save your money for an insulated bottle from Polar, Camelbak or other. In summer they'll keep water at least tepid longer than non-insulated bottles. I usually fill my bottles about 1/3 full, stick 'em in the freezer and fill 'em just before a ride. I'll use the non-insulated bottle first because even with ice the water gets unpleasantly hot quickly, while the insulated bottle stays tolerably cool for up to 2 hours.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-17-17, 10:26 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
My current favorite is the CatEye Bottle Cage. It's a bit lighter than the aluminum/alloy cages, and does the trick.

EDIT: I suppose it doesn't matter so much if they're lighter. Still, I like this as an alternative to alloy.
Old 06-18-17, 01:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by wipekitty
My current favorite is the CatEye Bottle Cage. It's a bit lighter than the aluminum/alloy cages, and does the trick.

EDIT: I suppose it doesn't matter so much if they're lighter. Still, I like this as an alternative to alloy.
I have one of those, sold under the Avenir brand name. They're available under several brands.

The plastic deforms easily so an oversized washer is needed to keep the bolt from punching through the plastic.

And there isn't much tension compared with my other cages, so I needed to reseat the bottle several times per ride on rough roads.

I have a similar Trek cage that I plan to replace soon. They don't hold securely enough on our rough chip seal and bombed out pavement and rougher gravel roads.

I may put one on my errand bike since it's mostly used for short rides and if I take a water bottle at all it's just a recycled soft drink or powerade bottle.
Old 06-18-17, 07:04 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My long time (decades) favorite is Blackburn Chicane cages. They are stainless, not aluminum, so they won't discolor your water bottles.
Old 06-18-17, 07:20 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I have one of these; https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Modula...01W6SSSRARCYAM on one of my bikes. Works good for odd sized bottles.
Old 06-18-17, 09:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Basic aluminum cages are good for standard water bottles, although they can drop things like paper coffee cups.

Aluminum will mark up your water bottles. Hollow tube stainless will not mark up the water bottles as much.
Old 06-18-17, 09:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
A cheap Garden variety mtn bike bottle cage is all you need. Note that I said mtn bike, because cages made for mtn bikes use 6mm wire to handle the bouncing around, whereas classic road cages use 5mm. (when you search on the net search for 6mm water bottle cage)

Plenty out there to choose from, though I suggest a painted or powder coated cage because the bare metal ones leave gray stains on the bottles.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-18-17 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-18-17, 09:53 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Walmart's work.
Old 06-18-17, 10:03 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I use this: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5033-056/Bird-Cage but that is probably more than 5$ in usa.
Old 06-18-17, 10:33 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Blackburn and Specialized both make good cages at a good price.

The fuel bottle is in the lowest cage. This cage takes the most abuse because the weight is pulling down on the front of the cage. Regular road cages work fine.

I would not trust this precious cargo to just any bottle cage Actually, we were eating lunch and did this as a joke. However, this is one of the few jars of peanut butter I found riding around Europe for 3 months; so it was really a precious commodity.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-18-17 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 05:58 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I say go Carbon Fiber, it's all the fashion. Mind you I wouldn't trust it to hold anything other than a water bottle, but that's just me

These side release ones are great for some tight frame designs too. I use one on my MTB, never lost a bott.

Bontrager-esq Satellite Elite-ist Side Entry Carbon Water Bottle Cage 25 grams | eBay
Old 06-19-17, 06:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Aluminum will mark up your water bottles. Hollow tube stainless will not mark up the water bottles as much.
I kinda like it when my bottles get that well worn patina.

-Tim-
Old 06-19-17, 06:27 AM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat

Save your money for an insulated bottle from Polar, Camelbak or other. In summer they'll keep water at least tepid longer than non-insulated bottles.
I was thinking about carrying a coffee for when I have my rest stop on the way back and was musing over whether I could fit one of my narrow thermos bottles in a cage (obviously not a CF cage lol) Now I'll have a look online for this polar one. Thanks for the heads up CC.
Old 06-19-17, 06:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
as seen on tourng bikes

Profile nylon will stretch for quart,liter bottles..

Generally, nylon cages goes best, with metal bottles, metal with plastic bottles..

I have seen numerous users of a bottle cage with a knob
that tightens around larger, eg, quart sized bottles ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-23-18 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-19-17, 06:47 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

My aluminum bottle cages are all anodized or have some sorta coating on 'em. No marks on the bottles, although I wouldn't care anyway. I've never been obsessed with how my bikes look and always enjoyed the little nicks and scuffs that accompany wear and the occasional crash. It's all part of the experience.

One of my bottles has a permanent grease stain gouged into the outside from dropping it between the chain and frame one ride when I hit a bump while trying to replace the bottle. I'm just glad it didn't cause me to crash.
Old 06-19-17, 06:51 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I use stainless steel cages on my bike, but aluminum ones are a couple of bucks cheaper and certainly a viable alternative. If you go with aluminum cages, this is one area where it doesn't matter what brand you use. They are very similar.
Old 06-19-17, 06:52 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by coominya
I was thinking about carrying a coffee for when I have my rest stop on the way back and was musing over whether I could fit one of my narrow thermos bottles in a cage (obviously not a CF cage lol) Now I'll have a look online for this polar one. Thanks for the heads up CC.
I've never tried hot liquids in the insulated Polar and Camelbak bottles. I think there are cycling thermoses but I've never tried one. Usually when I take coffee it's iced, in my non-insulated bottle, and I drink it first while it's still chilled.

The plastic insulated Polar and Camelbaks (I use the 24 oz) work best if filled partway with water and frozen overnight. I usually fill 'em about 1/3 full and keep 'em in the freezer. Then, just before the ride, fill with water and go. Usually keeps the water at least tolerably tepid up to 2 hours in Texas summer heat.

I do have a couple of stainless steel active/sports type thermoses but they aren't really designed for cycling -- they have screw tops. I used 'em for awhile a couple of years ago, stopping when I needed a drink. But even when pre-iced they didn't keep water cool any longer than the Polar and Camelbak insulated bottles, unless I stored them in the padded lens pouches from my Lowepro camera waist pack.
Old 06-19-17, 07:43 AM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
I do have a couple of stainless steel active/sports type thermoses but they aren't really designed for cycling -- they have screw tops.
Those are the ones I have CC, too narrow for the cages. It's winter here now and I leave just at daybreak, 7 deg Celsius often and the last thing you want to drink is a bottle of water that's been sitting in the breeze for an hour. I don't perspire much on these early rides so I don't need the water, I just like to stop near this little creek for 15 minutes, do some stretches and then watch the water running over the sandy bottom. There is so much beauty in nature and we usually just drive past it (or over it) so it's a real treat to actually stop and simply admire it. A coffee on a cold morning would make the experience perfect.
Old 06-19-17, 07:47 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Ah, in that case, keep the insulated bottles you have and try some extra insulation -- like those foam rubber doodads used to keep canned beverages cool in summer. Should keep the coffee warm a bit longer.
Old 06-19-17, 08:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
this one is on my wish list cuz I have to span over a front derailer clamp & this one has a space between the two screws to accommodate it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073X27L2...d=AN82XFURGNTS

$6.95
Blackburn Mountain Bottle Bicycle Cage
Old 06-19-17, 08:47 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I prefer this style of cage, made from aluminum, easy to slide bottles in and out, no rattles, or ejected bottles.

I got tired of the plastic aftertaste, that eventually happens with every bottle I have tried, so I now use metal bottles with neoprene covers. The only downside is that it takes two hands to use them. (can't squeeze them like plastic bottles)
Old 06-19-17, 09:00 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
$1.96

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Aluminum-Alloy-Botter-Holder/dp/B008JUZ1YS/ref=sr_1_16?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1497884103&sr=1-16&keywords=water+bottle+cage

Old 06-19-17, 10:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this one is on my wish list cuz I have to span over a front derailer clamp & this one has a space between the two screws to accommodate it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073X27L2...d=AN82XFURGNTS

$6.95
Blackburn Mountain Bottle Bicycle Cage

a spacer under the cage and a longer bolt will let any cage work .. in those situations (save those presta valve ring nuts)

Likes For fietsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.