Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Groin Cyst

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 01:01 PM
Michellemri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groin Cyst

So I've developed cycts at a point of friction on my inner groin off and on for the last few years. After looking at old posts, people suggest changing your saddle fit. Admittedly, I haven't changed my saddle, so I plan to do that next. I usually pop the cyst with a needle, but they return. Now that I'm training for something big, I need to get this under control. I've only been back on a bike for a few weeks and I know one is on the way. My main question is for anyone who has experience with these little pests. Now that I know the improper saddle is leading to another, I assume I have no choice but to cut it out. If you had it surgically removed, did it return once you started riding again? How long can I plan to not ride after the surgery? (I'm about to start a 16 week training schedule for a 100 mile mtb ride in August, so any quick response or shared experience is greatly appreciated!)
Old 03-28-18, 01:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
We'll need pictures to make an accurate diagnosis.
Old 03-31-18, 12:54 PM
Howard70

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Search for "saddle sore" threads - there are many - lots of good advice there. Here's my strategy (just cleared up a couple because I got lazy and broke rule #1).

#1. One ride per pair of shorts before washing. You'll often get away with a couple of rides until you don't. One ride then wash shorts.

#2. Change out of shorts immediately after ride. Don't lounge around "recovering". Get out of the shorts.

#3. Wash groin well with soap as soon as your out of the shorts. Dry well. Make sure groin is dry before putting on clean non-cycling clothes. Clean and dry prevents sores and can hasten clearing them up.

#4. If I'm working on clearing up a cyst and I can afford time off the bike, I'll ride every other day instead of every day. If I need the saddle time I'll put a small dab of neosporin on the cyst before going to bed. In morning before suiting up for ride I clean groin with an alcohol swab, let the cyst dry and place a small piece of moleskin over the cyst.

#5. If #4 works (cyst gets smaller & less sensitive), I'll continue riding with that treatment. If cyst gets worse despite above steps, I have to ride less frequently - I've tried "pushing" through a saddle sore to train and I've never been successful if it's getting worse.

I've never changed a saddle because of saddle sores. My experience is that improved hygiene does the trick. Basically the sores / cysts come from bacteria getting "pushed" into hair follicles where they lead to infection. Bateria like damp warm places.

Good luck,

Howard
Old 03-31-18, 02:03 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Ride standing up for a few weeks, i.e. remove the seatpost completely. Epsom salt baths(full half gallon container in a shallow warm bath).
Old 03-31-18, 02:22 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Be darned sure you are using sterile technique in popping your so-called cysts. If you get one infected it could be devastating. It is probably best to get a docs opinion on what they are and what is causing them.
Old 03-31-18, 06:36 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I've had the same issue. A couple of days off the bike will normally reduce the size drastically and make it more manageable. At that point, I will wear two pairs of shorts and put a moleskin patch on the cyst for added protection. You can buy the moleskin at drug stores or at Walmart. It comes in little sheets about 2 inches by 3 inches. Just cut out one about a square inch and peel off the adhesive backing and apply on your bare skin.

For the next few days, I will stand out of the saddle every chance I get. I also try to sit on the saddle a little lightly. As long as I stick to this routine, I can keep it at bay. When I relax my routine, another one appears. So, lately I've been using the moleskin for every ride. I also follow some of the hygiene suggestions above.

Another thing that can help is getting a doctor to prescribe an antibiotic like sulfamethoxazole. It works for me.
Old 04-01-18, 12:55 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’ve never had one there, but I’ve had two taken off, scalp and just above my elbow. No, they shouldn’t grow back unless the dermatologist screws up and doesn’t remove the entire capsule - my non-professional understanding of what I was told about mine - ymmv.

Just reading your post, OP, and the comments - why go through that? Go see a dermatologist- if your experience in having a cyst removed turned out to be similar to mine - the obvious difference being yours is in such a sensitive area- you could probably be back on the bike in a few hours or the next day. Only a doctor could give you a definitive answer, of course. With mine, it took longer to prep and numb the areas than to do the procedures. And recovery consisted of removing the bandage the next day or so, and a 10-day follow up to take out the couple of sutures. Having a cavity drilled and filled is worse, imho.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-01-18, 07:32 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I went to see a dermatologist. They told me due to the location of it, that I would need to see a surgeon to have it removed. It wouldn't be something they could do in their office.
Old 10-20-18, 05:01 AM
DeborahHarrell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How are you now? What did the surgeon said?