Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Air Bag for cyclists debuted at Consumer Electronics Show

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 01-08-19, 07:16 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technolo...g-for-cyclists

Similar principle to the self-inflating PFD I wear when sailing. Looks comfortable enough, and it works to protect the demonstrator riding at 2 mph hitting a rubber mat. Would it provide any advantage under real collision circumstances, though.
Old 01-08-19, 07:29 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Looks like it might work better as a PFD than to protect a cyclist in a crash. I would think the torso is least in need of protection.
Old 01-08-19, 08:30 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Head and torso are the critical areas... especially organs and spine.

Don't know how well it would work however in a high speed collision... such as being struck from behind by a high speed vehicle, or where a motorist fails to stop at a cross street.
Old 01-08-19, 09:31 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
But is the torso often injured in bike accidents in the manner that device would protect against? I guess my initial reaction was motivated by the manner in which the crash test dummy hit the vehicle. Seemed unlikely such a crash would really end in you striking the vehicle in that manner, which left me thinking the thing would protect in a only a relatively narrow set of circumstances.
Old 01-09-19, 12:44 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Old 01-09-19, 02:52 PM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
this is waaaay over the top. while we're at it, let's have cyclists wear padded leathers and boots (with recesses for cleats, of course...). and a full helmet. face shield optional.
Old 01-09-19, 04:27 PM
eugew23

Bikes: '86 Bianchi Limited'78 Centurion LeMans, '89 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd rather break an arm than a few ribs so it doesn't seems too bad.
Old 01-10-19, 08:49 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Pair that up with the air helmet and you have a winning combo. Plus if you go off the road into water you are safe.
Old 01-11-19, 07:35 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Looks like it might work better as a PFD than to protect a cyclist in a crash.
Originally Posted by Bmach
Plus if you go off the road into water you are safe.
PFD's are designed to float you face up. Although this may keep you afloat, it's not a reliable water safety device.

I was unaware that there were vest air bags available for motorcyclists for a number of years. This whole body suit thing looks interesting:
Old 01-11-19, 01:54 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Not all pfd’s will right a person either.
Old 01-13-19, 02:36 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I guess it would be easier to bubble wrap all pedestrians and cyclists than to get drivers to drive safely.
Old 01-13-19, 04:14 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Speaking as a rider who used to crash a lot because he was young and dumb and over-enthusiastic and refused to believe he could sustain permanent injury (until I did):

Okay. First of all the guy is not clipped in.

I rode flat pedals for almost 15 years of harsh urban commuting and they most decidedly saved me many, many times. When one is clipped in one cannot do a break-fall or a dive-and-roll. That guy did a full twist to land on his back—easy enough because he was going slowly and planning the maneuver the whole time.

I have done the same thing when crashing at speed without warning … but I used to do a little martial arts, which doubtless helped.

Most riders ride with clips, so the whole crash dynamic is completely different--making both demonstrations irrelevant.

Most injuries in bike crashes are Not from flat impacts to the torso—the torso is only liable to puncture or crushing if one falls on the bike, or a curb or something else protruding. Falling flat like he did is one of the best possible outcomes in a crash. He didn’t need the airbag—and he should have slapped out with his arms.

Most injuries in bike wrecks are (from impacts) broken legs, etc when a hood or fender strikes someone who cannot get off the bike—or from crashing, to the head, collarbones, and extremities (wrists, hands) when the person slams down sideways. This thing would be useless in all those instances.

Also … who needs protection from two-mph crashes? If I am going to wear hot, sweaty armor and protection devices, they had better protect me from the real stuff—minimum 15-mph crashes, and 15–45-mph car impacts.

You know what else is funny? In the slow-mo version of the crash, he put his hand out to help him fall. Despite Knowing he was going to fall, he couldn’t manage to do it right. If he had been doing real riding speed—say, 12–20 mph—he would have snapped his wrist and or his collarbone, and his airbag would have been a bag of hot air.

He also dropped to his knee first—Ouch. At speed he would have simply ripped his kneecap off.

Even more important, if he had fallen hard and fast, instead of breaking his fall with his leg and arm, likely his airbag wouldn’t have been fully inflated.

Also, if you look at the staged crash with the dummy (the inanimate one) the dummy would have been crippled by the stem hitting his intestines. Thea face-first impact on the car;’s hood would have smashed the nose or at high speed, possibly snapped the neck. The airbag would have been useless anyway, because the body, hitting flat on the hood, would have served to dissipate energy, and in that kind of flat impact, with nothing to penetrate, potential for injury is low.

So, in their two staged crashed, we see one complete failure which would have resulted in broken bones at least at real riding pace, and in the other, complete failure as the rider would have had a ruptured spleen or punctured intestines. This “safety device” did not increase safety in either of its staged, planned demonstrations.

Basically, these guys had a chance to show how excellent their product was and couldn’t.

This looks like a product engineered by engineers who didn’t seriously cycle, or maybe people who thought that “cycling” was occasionally riding a rent-a-citibike unsteadily into pedestrians on a sidewalk.

Usefulness for most riders? Less than zero.
Old 01-17-19, 12:34 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Something like this would make better use of airbags.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aerodynamically+enclosed+bicycle&oq=aerodynamically+enclosed+bicycle&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.1 4297j0j7&client=ms-android-lge&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=fuY8QQfo-l--EM: