Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Sliding forward in saddle

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 06-08-19, 04:38 PM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hello,

I got a used bike a couple months ago and am still trying to adjust it to fit just right. It's the proper frame size for me (56 cm top tube and I'm 5'10") but it's an old mountain bike frame converted into a touring set up so I imagine the geometry is different (for example it has a shorter seat post and standover height than a 56 cm road bike). I feel like I'm sliding forward in my seat a bit and can't figure out why. I have it maybe 90% of the way back on the rails to work for the KOPS method of saddle fore/aft and have the seat level. I'm wondering if maybe the shape of the seat has something to do with it as it is not flat. Any ideas? I'm really considering just going for a bike fit but I'm so close to getting it right and I mainly commute and maybe every week or two do a 20 km ride.
Old 06-08-19, 04:50 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
KOPS is a starting point not the end state. Your riding style, flexibility and center of gravity all determine optimal seat fore/aft position. Your riding style may be telling you your seat should go forward, it could also be the reach is too long for you, etc. Impossible to diagnose without you getting fit.
Old 06-08-19, 10:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
If that post isn't infinitely adjustable, i.e. a 2-bolt adjustment, getting a post which is might be a good start. Very small saddle tilt adjustments make a big difference. Looks like a post with more set-back would be a good idea, too. Velo Orange makes some, others also. Issue might be that you'll need a longer than usual post.

Do your hands feel light on the bars?
Old 06-09-19, 04:04 PM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
If that post isn't infinitely adjustable, i.e. a 2-bolt adjustment, getting a post which is might be a good start. Very small saddle tilt adjustments make a big difference. Looks like a post with more set-back would be a good idea, too. Velo Orange makes some, others also. Issue might be that you'll need a longer than usual post.

Do your hands feel light on the bars?
Ya I think I could be helped with a slight tilt. When the seat tilts it can only click into set angles and the first click is angled way too far up. My hands feel fairly light at the beginning of my ride but after maybe 10 minutes I find myself placing more weight on them. I feel like if I don't consciously think about keeping my hands light I put too much weight on them.
Old 07-03-19, 04:28 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
If you are sliding forward, and as it appears, your saddle is level. it may be a bit further forward is where you need to be. Since it does not cost anything to slide the saddle forward, go ahead and try a cm adjustment. Mark the rails somehow so that if the change does not work out, you can get back to the old position.
Old 07-03-19, 05:36 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
What I would do (YMMV) is tilt the saddle back ever so slightly, so that your hips are firmly planted on the seat and not sliding forward constantly. I think having them anchored is important. Might make riding in the drops less than ideal, but it's what i would do, FWIW.

Also, I have done a couple MTB to drop bar conversions, and found it impossible to get comfortable on them. Thought it would be a cinch, but it was anything but, and finally gave up.
Old 07-04-19, 10:08 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
You could simply switch to a flat saddle with a similar size and shape.
Old 07-04-19, 11:10 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Check seat height too. Your seat may be a bit too high. Excessive reach may also be a factor, you may want to try a shorter stem.

For seat height, try this method: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/ There is also information on setting seat setback on his site that you may want to look at.