Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

April 15: 277 pounds. July 29: 219. This is not all good news, but....

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 04:48 PM
Velo Dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like a lot of people, I've diddled around with weight for years. I'm 6'4"' and weighed 210 in college in the '70s. Over the years I've gradually come to accept 240, but after I retired three years ago, I had some neck problems that kept me off the bike and gained almost 40 more pounds.
More recently, I developed a neurological condition that makes it hard to swallow. I can eat only small meals, and it takes an hour to get down what I used to pound in my car on the way to lunch. It's not that I don't want to eat--I CAN'T eat, can't get down more than a few bites at a time. It's a huge PITA...but almost 60 pounds have gone away through calorie restriction, with virtually no exercise at all.
I hate it; I miss the bike; I'm going batcrap crazy sitting around. But diet DOES work if you stick with it.
Old 07-29-11, 05:14 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sucks man, sorry to hear it.

As for the neck thing... is there any chance a recumbent might make it easier to bike than a traditional diamond frame?
Old 07-29-11, 08:03 PM
Street Pedaler

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 (RIP), 2013 Trek Domane 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, Dog, hate to hear that. Hope you can get things squared away soon.
Old 07-29-11, 08:49 PM
Velo Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
That sucks man, sorry to hear it.

As for the neck thing... is there any chance a recumbent might make it easier to bike than a traditional diamond frame?
Been thinking about a recumbent for a couple of years, mostly just because I think they're cool. I've talked with a dealer in Cycle Genius dealer in Davis (Calif., I live in Reno) who says he can fix me up. But I have an Atlantis and Rambouillet I love, and I hate to give them up. Might be time, though, if I'm going to keep riding.
Old 07-29-11, 09:29 PM
aviatrix58
Feelin' ten again!

Bikes: Rans Enduro Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My hubby switched to a recumbent 1200 miles ago for neck/spine problems - his arms were tingling, hands were getting numb, etc - and he now rides pain free and faster than he ever did on his road bike (he hit 31 mph on Wednesday's ride!). I bought one myself last month and have put about 250 miles on it and love it. Give it a shot - they take a little getting used to but once you do, you will wonder why you waited so long to make the switch! One word of caution - be prepared for some ribbing from the 'wedgie' group. They're just jealous because you'll finish the ride with no pain in the neck, or wrist, or.....