Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Camp Lejeune

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 11-26-11, 07:53 AM
NYIRISH83

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Special Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I am stationed at the a fore mentioned location, I am a Marine living in the town of Jacksonville N.C. my ride is a slightly modified 1974 Fuji Special Tourer, the nods being the rear derailer and the wheel set. I am considering converting this bike into a coaster or "coastie" not to get on any Hipster band wagon, but as an inexpensive way to have this platform simpler and reliable....can't afford new indexed shifters and the like, not to mention the frame may be less than the appropriate size haha. I am 6' tall, however my legs are almost equal in length as my upper body, thus I need to be sized. Alright I think that's a copious amount of info.
Old 11-26-11, 08:02 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome NYIRISH83. Enjoy riding your bike. That's what is important.
And thank you for your service.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-26-11, 02:32 PM
JeanSeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to BikeForums !
Old 11-26-11, 04:32 PM
Thomas Brock

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!

Where do you commute from and too?

I live down by Western Ext. near the big Marine Fed building. My office is by the bowling alley. It's a 13ish mil

I ride a Trek hybrid. If you want to look for a new ride, I can introduce you to the folks at the Bicycle Gallery or the Bicycle Shop. They may have something for you.
Old 11-27-11, 12:30 AM
Kingshead

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubilee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the horde.

Nothing wrong with the older Fuji's. Stripping it down to a single speed as you mentioned will reduce some of the weight and riding is always fun no matter the bike. I've always liked the styling of the 70's era bikes more than the moderns of today, so enjoy, you can always donate it to a needy kid when you do purchase a different ride.

Does your bike look something like this? Digging the lugged frame.
Old 11-28-11, 11:00 AM
NYIRISH83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@kingshead, that's my Fuji down to the color. I sat for sometime while I was deployed and was banged up a bit when my father in-law reorganized my shed. The changes I had made to it was the quando rims, new tires and an Italian derailuer comp-something, other than that it is stock and in relative good repair. I found it in the trash 5 years ago in NY. @Mr Brock, I usually just putz around on it, haven't had a ride in a bit, not to mention riding on the roads in J-ville can be hairy at best haha. I will just past western extension on Ramsey Dr down gumbranch. Thanks everyone for you input it has been well received, at the moment I am set on making this bike utilitarian for errands. I found a brand called coasties (coasties.com) who make coaster wheel sets in 27x1 1/4 for 140 and shipping...so when I have the money or will be upgraded (or down graded which ever way you see it) again thanks for the help!
Old 11-28-11, 12:34 PM
NYIRISH83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@kingshead, that's my Fuji down to the color. It sat for sometime while I was deployed and was banged up a bit when my father in-law reorganized my shed. The changes I had made to it was the quando rims, new tires and an Italian derailer complagno-something, other than that it is stock and in relative good repair. I found it in the trash 5 years ago in NY. @Mr Brock, I usually just putz around on it, haven't had a ride in a bit, not to mention riding on the roads in J-ville can be hairy at best haha. I live just past western extension on Ramsey Dr down gumbranch. Thanks everyone for you input it has been well received, at the moment I am set on making this bike utilitarian for errands. I found a brand called coasties (coasties.com) who make coaster wheel sets in 27x1 1/4 for 140 and shipping...so when I have the money or will be upgraded (or down graded which ever way you see it) again thanks for the help!
Old 11-28-11, 05:36 PM
Thomas Brock

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's near where I live. It's a newish development off of Ramsey Road by the elementary school.

If you want to start commuting, let me know and maybe we can ride together?
Old 11-28-11, 06:01 PM
NYIRISH83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Certainly something to consider, however I still have to replace my rims and my sporadic morning schedule may conflict. All the same I am more than interested in having someone local to ride with. I'll have to keep you posted as far as completion goes.
Old 11-29-11, 06:51 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! I actually lived in Swansboro and travel there a few times a year. My best friend worked on the base as a civilian in the Environmental/Natural Resources Division. He was tragically killed in a car accident last year. Best man I ever knew. His name was Brynn Ashton. I guarantee if you mention his name, somebody will know him. Since I am in parks and recreation and obviously an avid cyclist, he had asked me last year for ideas on a bike path for the base. You live in a great area. I hope you enjoy it!

John