Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Starting Racing Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Starting Racing Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-05, 02:12 PM
80sMutRider
Lone Fixie

Bikes: Fixie/SS: Specialized "Langster", Hobo SS: Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting Racing Question

Ok, I'm wanting to start to race, and I'm looking at the chart of the different categories and the durations and I'm wondering what Duration: 40 Min. + 5 Laps means. Is it a 40 minute time trial then a 5 lap race? The race is a 1.3 Mile circuit.
Also what's the difference in the different categories and how do you move through them? I'm 18, so I guell I would be in the Junior class, but what about Cat 5?

Thanks for any help.

80s
Old 01-15-05, 02:58 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a criterium, you and the rest of the field will race for 40 min, and then 5 laps.

It counts down from 5 to 1,then PRO, dont worry about moving through them just yet.
Old 01-15-05, 03:12 PM
BigFloppyLlama

Bikes: Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 40 minute + 5 laps would probably be interpreted as what you said, 40 minutes of racing, then after those 40 minutes they would announce the last 5 laps. The circuit race I did last year ended up being rather unorganized because there was no lap countdown after the time, we simply got a last lap warning, which didn’t offer a lot of time to do anything.

If you turn 19 this year you won’t be able to race as a junior. You are able to race in the elite, or senior categories: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 or the U23 category.
1A16. A rider's racing age shall be his or her age on December 31 of the current year. All references to age of riders, race age groups, or age class shall be interpreted as referring to racing age. The following terms refer to specific age groups.
Racing Age Age Group
Under 10 Youth
10-18 Junior
19-22 Under 23
23-29 Elite
30+ Master
As for upgrades (pulled from NCNCA, pretty sure its the same for all USCF upgrades):
-Cat 5 to Cat 4: Experience in 10 mass start races (Minimum field size of 10 to qualify).
-Cat 4 to Cat 3: Need 20 points in any 12 month period; or experience in 25 qualifying races with a minimum of 10 top 10 placings (Minimum field of 30 for men, 10 for women and juniors).
-Cat 3 to Cat 2: Need 25 points in any 12 month period (Minimum field size of 50 for men , 20 for women).
-Cat 2 to Cat 1: Need 30 points in any 12 month period (Minimum field size of 60 for men, 30 for women).
Old 01-15-05, 03:14 PM
80sMutRider
Lone Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still don't get the 40 minutes, because after that, everyone will be in a different place at the start of the 5 laps, does that make the 5 laps timed? I just see it as apples and oranges.
Old 01-15-05, 03:29 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you race for 40 minutes and try to keep yourself in a good position to do something in the last five. when they announce the final five, they are basically telling the riders that if they're planning to make a move they better start executing now.
Old 01-15-05, 05:04 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 80sMutRider
I still don't get the 40 minutes, because after that, everyone will be in a different place at the start of the 5 laps, does that make the 5 laps timed? I just see it as apples and oranges.
You're making this more complicated than need be.

Don't worry about the last five laps being timed. It doesn't matter. It's five laps and whoever crosses the lane after lap five is the winner.
Old 01-15-05, 05:04 PM
80sMutRider
Lone Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, thanks much.

Anyone int the North-East, I'm talking about the "Third Annual Chris Hinds Memorial Criterium" in Lincoln, RI. It can be found at BikeReg.com, the date is the 10th of April, registration by the 6th or April, most entry fees are $20.
Old 01-15-05, 07:57 PM
Moonshot
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 80sMutRider
ok, thanks much.

Anyone int the North-East, I'm talking about the "Third Annual Chris Hinds Memorial Criterium" in Lincoln, RI. It can be found at BikeReg.com, the date is the 10th of April, registration by the 6th or April, most entry fees are $20.
Wow. Chris Hinds is still a hero around here. He once co-owned a bike shop in Auburn. Each year there is the Chris Hinds Memorial Ride (not a race) hosted by the Auburn Flyers collegiate cycling team. Proceeds in 2004 benefited Storybook Farms, a horse stable that allows children traumatized by illness or other circumstances to enjoy horses.

He moved from here around 1998. I moved here in 1998. The local riders who've been around longer than I have lots of good things to say about Chris Hinds. I wish I had a chance to meet him.

Enjoy your race.

www.eastalabamacycling.org

Last edited by Moonshot; 01-15-05 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-08-05, 12:10 AM
MomofSam
Spectator

Bikes: The best of Chris's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,
Just came across this thread when preparing for Chris Hinds Memorial Criterium on Sunday. Moonshot, thanks for your kind words about Chris. He was my husband, and I still miss him like crazy. 80sMut - I hope you're racing on Sunday. Chris liked nothing better than getting someone new excited about cycling. He would love it that his race was your first. I also recommend the race as a first because it has a nice feel to it. Three teams work together to put on this race. Sacrifice of competition for collaboration among teams can be a rarity in racing. The collaborative spirit holds through the day and the racing seems a little less cut throat than other events I've attended. A great atmosphere for your first pack race. Good luck!
Old 04-08-05, 12:27 AM
MomofSam
Spectator

Bikes: The best of Chris's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How could I forget!!??

https://www.bikereg.com/races/register.asp?EventID=1977