Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Power Bar expiration date?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 08:21 PM
steve617

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have seen a couple places on the net that sells Energy bars at a discount price because the expiration date has expired or will soon expire. Just wondering how long the Power Bar would be fresh after they expire.

Thanks

Steve
Old 01-28-05, 08:25 PM
iowarose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember my ex father-in-law telling me that "they grow things in them after a while, but just put them in the freezer and they're OK." FWIW. He was serious, but I didn't follow his advice...
Old 01-28-05, 11:29 PM
yonderboy
Lurker for Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They'll be fresh, but edible will be a matter of opinion. Ideally, they'll stay chewy within the expiration date. But from experience, you'll need dental implants or a blow torch to eat them if they get very close.
Old 01-29-05, 12:37 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oughta be good for at least another 2 weeks, especially since it's a packaged and wrapped product.
When I used to work at the soup kitchen, we got donations of food that was near the "sell by" date all the time. There's a built in safety factor for that date.
Old 01-29-05, 09:09 AM
sbeatonNJ
"I love lamp"

Bikes: 06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What the link for the places you mentioned? I've used power bars just past the expiration date and they were fine.
Old 01-29-05, 10:13 AM
steve617

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They were on e-bay 72 bars $34.80 with free shipping The guy has 3 or 4 lots of them. The date is March 05.
Old 01-30-05, 01:05 PM
slickrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Powerbars are fine way after the expiration date. In my store we have to sell or pull them by the expieration date. I've eaten them weeks later and they are ok.
Old 01-30-05, 02:47 PM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
powerbars should be edible well past the expiration date. As long as the packaging is intact then there is no way stuff could ever grow win a powerbar even if you left them for a 100 years as they will be sterile packed when they are made.

The only problem is that the bar may begin to taste stale as the ingredients in the bar break down or change their physical properties, e.g crystallise out, or otherwise interreact. I would say as long as the bar tastes OK then I would be happy to eat it.

Edit: putting them in the freezer would probably be a good idea and would extend the shelf life

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)

Last edited by royalflash; 01-30-05 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-30-05, 07:50 PM
travis200
OTB is imminent

Bikes: '06 Trek 5.2, '06 Lemond Poprad, '06 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered a lot of the Peanut Butter Powerbars from him but they don't expire until April 05 so I should have no problem eating them all by then. Then maybe he will have another flavor up to sell.