Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track SRM

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 06:39 PM
JMR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track SRM

I know it is a long shot... but does anyone know the best place to find a (working) track SRM power meter that someone would be willing to part with.

I'm in Australia, but I'd happily have one sent over from the USA or elsewhere.

Any ideas appreciated... thanks!

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 07-25-13 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-25-13, 05:33 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Sorry but never selling mine...

There was a Track SRM on au ebay recently which didn't sell (initially posted and initial price of $1000 and BIN $1500 then within hours reset it to starting at $1500 and $2000 BIN ) and didn't get one bid. It might get reposted so could be worthwhile watching this user? Don't know this person or condition of the unit, but all my SRM's have been bought second hand and have worked perfectly. So odds after the battery replacements it should be okay?

Original listing - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SRM-Power...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 07-25-13, 09:37 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
the workaround-de-jour is a compact Quarq with a Bergstrom Technologies adaptor (handmade in the usa):

https://www.facebook.com/BergstromTechnologies
Old 07-25-13, 05:29 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys... I might try to get hold of that guy that had his up on ebay.

With regards to the Quarq with adapter, how do you get a GXP crankset to work in a frameset designed for an internal BB? Is there an adapter, or will GXP BB just screw in and work??

JMR
Old 07-25-13, 07:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I know the quark system will work, but SRM is much better. SRM customer service is really great, too. I've actually been to their US HQ in Colorado Springs and they gave me a tour. Nice guys. They still support SRM cranks that are decades old.
Old 07-26-13, 01:46 AM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I like their (SRM) stuff... but over here it is looking like a bit over $4k for a new track SRM with the SRM headunit (for the higher sampling rate).

It's a lot of coin and I just want to know that I am definately going to benefit from it over a stopwatch.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

JMR
Old 07-26-13, 06:26 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I check frequently for SRMs online JMR (looking for one for my CX bike - once you have an SRM on one bike you find you want it on all the others) so will be in touch if I see a Track SRM for sale.
Old 07-26-13, 05:05 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
SRM customer service is really great, too. I've actually been to their US HQ in Colorado Springs and they gave me a tour. Nice guys. They still support SRM cranks that are decades old.
Unfortunately for us the Australian servicing was closed down so we now need to send it over the NZ for battery replacements and servicing (of whom I've also heard good things). I have a couple of PCV's I want to send over* - and for a 500g package, some couriers are wanting close to half of what a plane trip would cost!

*I'll be in Colorado Springs overnight in around 6 weeks as part of a 3 week holiday riding as many cols as I can in CA, CO and AZ. I wonder if they can do a one day battery replacements?
Old 07-26-13, 05:30 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
I'll be in Colorado Springs overnight in around 6 weeks as part of a 3 week holiday riding as many cols as I can in CA, CO and AZ. I wonder if they can do a one day battery replacements?
I think so. I did my battery replacement when I was in Colorado Springs on a trip as well. My turnaround was 2 days.

I'd bet if you made plans ahead of time so that they could put you in the queue, I'm sure they could accommodate you.
Old 08-01-13, 12:19 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
You can replace the SRM battery yourself if you can solder. If not any electronic repair shop can do it pretty cheaply and easily.

For track I run a Rotor 3D+ SRM in a standard 68 English threaded bottom bracket using Rotor's BB30 screw in bearings. Miche makes very nice 130 BCD track rings. You could run several of the different SRM units as a track crank, but a couple of them won't work (Dura Ace in particular) because of the spider/crank interface. Rotor was the best choice to get 165 arms.

Quarq's have a pretty poor reliability/accuracy record over time. Supposedly the newest version is all hunky dory but that song has been played before. We shall see.

The dual switch in the track SRM is useful but mostly to collect peak numbers, beyond that you can graph things down.

Pic of the Rotor set up:

Old 08-01-13, 06:13 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rotor

and you don't have to get stuck with the proprietary BB from Rotor track cranks, nice!

chain ring on the inside?(42mm chainline?)
Old 08-02-13, 12:20 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Soil_Sampler
and you don't have to get stuck with the proprietary BB from Rotor track cranks, nice!

chain ring on the inside?(42mm chainline?)
Outside. Not sure of the exact chainline. Not perfect but it's close enough that if you knock it off it'll climb back on.
Old 02-23-15, 08:49 PM
timbat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Outside. Not sure of the exact chainline. Not perfect but it's close enough that if you knock it off it'll climb back on.
Do you use captive chainring bolts ? Is changing chainrings much of a pain ?