Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Black Snap-On Hub Band?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Black Snap-On Hub Band?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 03:17 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Black Snap-On Hub Band?

Can anyone tell me what this snap on band is for? Also, are these particular hubs well regarded? It's QR is labeled Sunshine...

Thanks...

Last edited by UKFan4Sure; 10-29-19 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 03:35 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
its usually an oil port cover
Old 10-29-19, 03:36 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
the clip is there to cover the oil hole.
The oil is intended to "freshen" the grease, according to various discussions I've seen. Similar to oil ports seen on headsets and bottom brackets of some vintage frames.

I'm not sure where the idea started, but Campagnolo certainly gave it a bit of status when it was used on their Record hubs....

Regarding your SunTour Superbe hub.... very nice! One of the nicer items to come from SunTour.
I doubt that the SunShine QR was original equipment, though.

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-29-19, 03:44 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Thanks!! I plan on re-greasing them, so I certainly won't be oiling the hole...

Again, are these decent hubs? I am thinking about replacing these hubs/Rigida rims on my Schwinn LeTour which has some lower end Malliard/Unknown rim combo.
Old 10-29-19, 03:45 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

I'm not sure where the idea started, but Campagnolo certainly gave it a bit of status when it was used on their Record hubs....
I had a pair of cheap wheels on my commute bike that I drew oil hole covers on for a joke.
Somebody stole the rear wheel on campus.
Old 10-29-19, 03:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Sunshine, also known as Sanshin, manufactured that hub. Campagnolo showed that people wanted a group of components from the same company, so Shimano responded by offering them. Shimano bought crank makers, etc. SunTour made deals to have other companies' stuff branded SunTour.

We stopped oiling our hubs, but those oil ports lasted for a while thereafter. One year, I tried using the oil ports, and they worked well. When I took the hubs apart, they were very clean. But once you start oiling, you have to keep doing it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-29-19, 03:53 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure

Again, are these decent hubs?.....
decent?
well, I'd say "great".
certainly a few levels above the Maillard hubs on the LeTour.

Steve in Peoria (always loved the high end SunTour stuff)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 10-29-19, 03:55 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by noglider
Sunshine, also known as Sanshin, manufactured that hub. Campagnolo showed that people wanted a group of components from the same company, so Shimano responded by offering them. Shimano bought crank makers, etc. SunTour made deals to have other companies' stuff branded SunTour.

We stopped oiling our hubs, but those oil ports lasted for a while thereafter. One year, I tried using the oil ports, and they worked well. When I took the hubs apart, they were very clean. But once you start oiling, you have to keep doing it.
Great info! Thanks for informing!
Old 10-29-19, 03:56 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

decent?
well, I'd say "great".
certainly a few levels above the Maillard hubs on the LeTour.

Steve in Peoria (always loved the high end SunTour stuff)
Thanks, Steve! Time to invest in a good polishing on those Rigida's, then! I'm excited to update those heavy rims off the LeTour.
Old 10-29-19, 03:59 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Yes, those Sunshine-made Suntour Superbe hubs are elegant and work very well.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 10-29-19, 04:28 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Superbe was top line stuff, very light and durable, for racers.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-29-19, 04:33 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

I pulled these off a Nishiki I picked up at a pawn shop yesterday (frame is nothing special, made of 1207 steel). It also had some KTT Lightning pedals which I've already sold for the price of the bike. I get lucky once in a while. Thanks to all respondents to my post!
Old 10-29-19, 05:00 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
Thanks!! I plan on re-greasing them, so I certainly won't be oiling the hole...
Bearing grease is an emulsion of oil and soap, and in the past, the oil was prone to separate from the soap component and leak out of the bearing. The oil port allowed you to replenish the oil component without having to open the hub. Riding would reconstitute the emulsion. Modern bearing grease seems less prone to this separation issue.

Again, are these decent hubs? I am thinking about replacing these hubs/Rigida rims on my Schwinn LeTour which has some lower end Malliard/Unknown rim combo.
Yes, they're very nice hubs. Top of the line, and comparable to any other manufacturer's top of the line hubs.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-29-19, 05:12 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts

I'd ballpark it in the late 20s/ early 30s. Mid 20s and earlier used a zerk fitting like this.

Frejus 37 by iabisdb, on Flickr

And this hub is from 1933.

Frejus016 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 10-30-19, 07:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The use of oil clips on bicycle hubs goes back to at least the 1890s and possibly further. Attached is a scan from an 1894 advertisement showing hubs with oil clips and a catalog page from 1900 showing a variety of oil fittings and an oil clip.

One of the big topics of discussion during the 1st bicycle boom of the 1890s was whether to employ oil or grease in the bicycle's bearing movements. While lubrication ports were essential to refreshen the grease with oil (especially on the early coaster brake hubs), they were even more important for those who favoured oil. In the 1890s most roads and streets were still dirt and bearing seals were poor. Consequently, bearing movements were easily contaminated. The argument for oil was that grease would retain the contaminant in the soap carrier, whereas oil would would dispel the contaminants as it seeped out of the hub. Of course, using oil meant frequent replenishment and to this end small "pocket oilers" were a popular accessory carried by many cyclists.

Gradually, grease would win out but the problem of oil separating from the grease carrier carried on into the 2nd bicycle boom of the early 1970s. Campagnolo's grease of this period was particularly poor in this respect. Puddles of oil were constantly forming and you had the mix the grease before you used it. Still, oil had some advocates even into the 1970s, particularly among track racers.

Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-30-19, 07:27 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Superbe Pro is my grail group.
Old 10-30-19, 08:56 AM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I can confirm that Steve is right about the skewers. Mine says Superbe, and the nut part looks very much like campagnolo (Thre is a "ring" through it just like campy). Your hubs are the RH1000 model from the early eighties. You can look them up on velobase. But unless you´re a stickler for originality, your skewers will no doubt be fine.
As others have said, they are very nice hubs, if Campagnolo had not already taken the Record name, or if Shimano didn´t use Dura-Ace, they might as well have been Suntour Record or Suntour Dura-Ace.
One of my bikes have a mix of Superbe and Superbe Pro components, including hubs just like yours, and I love these hubs. Only problem I can see, is that they use a freewheel (Mine came with a Suntour New Winner 6), a Shimano HG casette would have been much easier and cheaper.
But great score, in the early eighties it didn´t get any better, no matter which competitor you look at.
Old 11-01-19, 11:12 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Very nice hubs, and you took some great pictures of them. Not easy with polished or anodized surfaces to get focus just right. The reflections of the spoke patterns is eerie!
Old 11-02-19, 04:19 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by Chuckk
I think a sharp hub for a vintagey bike is the mid-late 80's Shimano 105 and 600's.
They have a black band model tag around the center which looks like the black clips if you don't look closely.
They're good hubs, too.
600 Tricolor is absolutely one of my favorite groupsets. I have built up a couple of bikes with these. One was for my friend; a custom build GT that I put his name on. See below: