Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fezzari Empire Sl Team

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fezzari Empire Sl Team

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 02:32 PM
Rolltider11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fezzari Empire Sl Team

Seriously considering this bike. The people seem phenomenal to deal with. They will change parts out and customize to fit your needs, but it does concern me that know very little about the bike itself. Does anyone have experiences with this bike? Is it built for more endurance or is it fast? I’m looking mainly for speed with comfort as second. Also looking at Giant Tcr, canyon ultimate, and Scotts all very high end models.
Old 11-07-19, 05:51 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Can't you get a comfortable race bike?
Or a fast endurance bike?
Old 11-07-19, 06:54 PM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I have the Empire SL Pro and absolutely love it. It’s kind of in the middle of a race bike and an endurance bike. It in no way feels like a lounge chair like a Roubaix that I test rode or my Giant Revolt that I have for gravel grinding. It is fast, stiff and remarkably nimble due to the short chain stays. What it isn’t is “aero” nor do they market it as such.
The people there were very good working with me when I bought it too. They even wrote a small personal message in the box which I thought was a cool little touch.
The ONLY thing I didnt like about it was it doesn’t come with carbon assembly paste with the bike and the seat post absolutely needs it.
Ive only had it for a couple weeks but it has been brilliant. I too was worried about it not being “racy” enough but I am totally happy it is. I also said that I wanted it set up pretty aggressively and they trimmed the steerer tube to reflect that.
No complaints about the bike or buying process. I definitely would buy from them again without even thinking about it.

Old 11-07-19, 06:54 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
They are a very small brand, so you're not going to hear too much about them. However, what is out there all seems to be very positive. Geometry wise, it does seem to be on the relaxed end of the race-spec scale (slack front end, long wheel base, higher stack), but that doesn't mean it's going to be slow and comfortable. The stiffness/carbon layout and shape/tube profile of the frame is going to determine that.

But the geometry, will tell you how it will handle. And based on it, it certainly isn't going to be the most nibble bike through the corners. It should be very stable, though. So it all depends on what you are looking for.

PS...they do have a 30-day "love it or return it" policy, so if you don't like it you can return it for free.
Old 11-08-19, 07:51 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Everyone has different needs, but I'm looking at the Empire really hard, it seems to have exactly the geometry that I'm looking for in a lightweight road bike.

Here's my take on the relaxed geometry. Basically the only difference between the Empire and my SL6 Tarmac is 17mm more stack, longer wheelbase, longer front center, and slack headtube angle. The stack difference is negligible imo, as far as being able to get aero and go fast. I run a 10mm spacer on the Tarmac, so I can slam the stem on the Empire and then it's only 7mm difference.

The longer front center means no toe overlap, which while you can get used to, it's really nice to not have to think about it. The longer wheelbase and slack headtube angle mean that the handling will be more stable, vs "twitchy" race bike handling. I don't race crits, so maybe that difference in handling would matter to someone who does. But I can say that the handling on my Revolt (similar geo to the Empire) on road tires is fantastic, and exactly what I want (descending is fantastic, holds a line like it's on rails). I have had no issues with emergency handling maneuvers or handling in tight, fast groups (30+mph).

IMO, the "race" characteristics are over hyped, at least for what I want out of a bike. Again, I don't race crits, so maybe in that scenario it really does matter. But for what I do, fast group rides and road racing, I think this bike is going to be perfect.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 11-08-19, 08:03 AM
BluFalconActual

I’m not the worlds expert on bikes and have only owned 3 other proper road bikes before this. Having said that, I can say that the Empire is much less twitchy then my Emonda was, but for whatever reason (I’m guessing the short chain stays), it turns super quick with minimal shifting of the hips to initiate a corner.
I dont race crits nor do I want to but this thing is plenty stiff and quick enough for anything 99 percent of the subscribers of this forum need IMO. As a mid 30 something dude who cycles for pleasure and likes to hunt down KOM’s when I’m feeling frisky, the Empire has been the perfect tool so far.
Old 11-08-19, 08:22 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
I’m not the worlds expert on bikes and have only owned 3 other proper road bikes before this. Having said that, I can say that the Empire is much less twitchy then my Emonda was, but for whatever reason (I’m guessing the short chain stays), it turns super quick with minimal shifting of the hips to initiate a corner.
I dont race crits nor do I want to but this thing is plenty stiff and quick enough for anything 99 percent of the subscribers of this forum need IMO. As a mid 30 something dude who cycles for pleasure and likes to hunt down KOM’s when I’m feeling frisky, the Empire has been the perfect tool so far.
Same, I'm no expert, but I've been through two race bikes, a climbing bike, and an aero bike. As soon as I got the Revolt, I knew I had found the geo that I like, just needed it to be lighter. lol The full cable integration is the icing on the cake that makes it perfect, and with electronic shifting you don't have to worry about cable maintenance, which is really the only argument against full integration.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 11-11-19, 09:39 AM
Rolltider11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I’m trying to figure out exactly how I want it specced now. I’m thinking enve ses 5.6 wheels, vision metron 4d bars or the fsa k force, power meter, and thinking the 48/35 chainrings haven’t decide 28 or 33 cassette wish they offered 30.
Old 11-16-19, 10:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
The ONLY thing I didnt like about it was it doesn’t come with carbon assembly paste with the bike and the seat post absolutely needs it.
My guess is that Carbon assembly paste can scratch or mar surfaces it's applied to with friction. Since seatpost height is obviously personal, the factory didn't want to pre-apply this, for fear of a lot of complaining calls from folks who played around with their seat height and now have visible portions of the seatpost looking less than pristine. Typically I'd apply the paste only after determining the line below which no paste should be applied (even taping around the post at this line to avoid slippage/scratching into the visible portion.
Old 11-19-19, 04:04 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYd...IzTM0C9WOcpNZQ
Old 12-02-19, 01:50 PM
jbasirico
Mitochondriac

Bikes: Fezzari Empire SL, BMC Roadmachine 03

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolltider11
Thanks for the responses. I’m trying to figure out exactly how I want it specced now. I’m thinking enve ses 5.6 wheels, vision metron 4d bars or the fsa k force, power meter, and thinking the 48/35 chainrings haven’t decide 28 or 33 cassette wish they offered 30.
Let us know how it works out! I just pulled the trigger on a custom order: SL frame, Enve 3.4 wheels, Metron 4D bars, Ultegra Di2, 11/30 cassette. Probably a month out before I receive it.
Old 12-02-19, 01:53 PM
Rolltider11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbasirico
Let us know how it works out! I just pulled the trigger on a custom order: SL frame, Enve 3.4 wheels, Metron 4D bars, Ultegra Di2, 11/30 cassette. Probably a month out before I receive it.
Please let me know how it is. I ended up ordering a pinarello dogma f10 specced similarly.
Old 12-02-19, 01:59 PM
jkonst

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I ordered the Team Edition (SRAM Red) this weekend. Subbed in the ENVE SES 4.5 AR with white decals, added three bottle holders, and tubeless Schwalbe Pro Ones, on an XL black/teal frame. Not sure how long it's going to take to arrive (depends on the wheels from ENVE), but they did call really quickly after I placed my order to confirm everything.
Old 12-02-19, 02:35 PM
Rolltider11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jkonst
I ordered the Team Edition (SRAM Red) this weekend. Subbed in the ENVE SES 4.5 AR with white decals, added three bottle holders, and tubeless Schwalbe Pro Ones, on an XL black/teal frame. Not sure how long it's going to take to arrive (depends on the wheels from ENVE), but they did call really quickly after I placed my order to confirm everything.
That’s a great build. The 4.5 ar wheels are interesting. You should go ahead and get quarq power meter for $475 with the build. That’s the bike I was getting until found pinarello deal.
Old 12-02-19, 02:37 PM
Rides4Beer

Post up pics when you get them! I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an Elite build with di2 and integrated cockpit. I like the weight of the SL, but I want the blue.
Old 12-02-19, 02:52 PM
jkonst

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Post up pics when you get them! I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an Elite build with di2 and integrated cockpit. I like the weight of the SL, but I want the blue.
You got it! I feel the same way about the colors. Decent chance I go for a custom paint job at some point, but we'll see how I feel about the black after the next season.
Old 12-02-19, 02:55 PM
jkonst

Originally Posted by Rolltider11
That’s a great build. The 4.5 ar wheels are interesting. You should go ahead and get quarq power meter for $475 with the build. That’s the bike I was getting until found pinarello deal.
I actually placed an order for the Favero Assioma Duos this weekend. They were down to $577 for a couple days (direct from Favero), and I like that I can easily take them with me if I travel or switch bikes. Excited to finally have some power numbers...
Old 12-02-19, 03:03 PM
Rolltider11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually placed an order for the Favero Assioma Duos this weekend. They were down to $577 for a couple days (direct from Favero), and I like that I can easily take them with me if I travel or switch bikes. Excited to finally have some power numbers...
Those pedals get great reviews and you can use them on another bike can’t go wrong with that choice.
Old 12-07-19, 06:05 PM
jbasirico
Mitochondriac

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have the Empire SL Pro and absolutely love it. It’s kind of in the middle of a race bike and an endurance bike. It in no way feels like a lounge chair like a Roubaix that I test rode or my Giant Revolt that I have for gravel grinding. It is fast, stiff and remarkably nimble due to the short chain stays. What it isn’t is “aero” nor do they market it as such.
The people there were very good working with me when I bought it too. They even wrote a small personal message in the box which I thought was a cool little touch.
Ive only had it for a couple weeks but it has been brilliant. I too was worried about it not being “racy” enough but I am totally happy it is. I also said that I wanted it set up pretty aggressively and they trimmed the steerer tube to reflect that.
No complaints about the bike or buying process. I definitely would buy from them again without even thinking about it.

Did you ask Fezzari to send you the bike with the Supacaz bar tape or did you add that after?
Old 01-03-20, 07:55 PM
BluFalconActual

Did you ask Fezzari to send you the bike with the Supacaz bar tape or did you add that after?
sorry about the delay. I’m an active duty Marine and have been away.
I added it myself but I seriously doubt they would have putting on any bar tape of your choosing if you asked.
Old 01-04-20, 12:09 PM
jbasirico
Mitochondriac

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I recently received my Empire SL custom spec (Ultegra Di2, Enve 3.4, Pro-level for everything else since I already had a preferred seatpost and saddle). I've only had a chance to ride outdoors once due to winter weather but the thing is great and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. The only issue is Fezzari forgot to send my pedals but they were responsive in shipping them after the fact. Also, it seems like the Metron 5D handlebars are temporarily unavailable. The fit is pretty good out of the box but I think the more specifics that are provided up front, the better. Looking forward to getting some more time on the new ride.
Likes For jbasirico:
Old 01-07-20, 01:00 PM
Rides4Beer

I recently received my Empire SL custom spec (Ultegra Di2, Enve 3.4, Pro-level for everything else since I already had a preferred seatpost and saddle). I've only had a chance to ride outdoors once due to winter weather but the thing is great and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. The only issue is Fezzari forgot to send my pedals but they were responsive in shipping them after the fact. Also, it seems like the Metron 5D handlebars are temporarily unavailable. The fit is pretty good out of the box but I think the more specifics that are provided up front, the better. Looking forward to getting some more time on the new ride.
Pics man!! Glad to hear you like it! They did say they've been having trouble getting the 5D bars from Vision, I'll prob go with the two piece like BluFalcon has.
Old 01-07-20, 01:50 PM
jbasirico
Mitochondriac

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Pics man!! Glad to hear you like it! They did say they've been having trouble getting the 5D bars from Vision, I'll prob go with the two piece like BluFalcon has.
Here it is! I've only got one picture from outside because the weather here is pretty bad at the moment. I also tried to capture the raw carbon finish, which probably looks cool in sunlight but doesn't really capture in photos. It is an attractive but very subdued look. I wonder about the durability of the raw carbon finish and I assume that is why the frame is so light. You can see I put my own seatpost and saddle on there. I also removed a single spacer after this photo, which was all I can do without first cutting the steerer due to the ACR stem/topcap.

Old 01-07-20, 07:13 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Here it is! I've only got one picture from outside because the weather here is pretty bad at the moment. I also tried to capture the raw carbon finish, which probably looks cool in sunlight but doesn't really capture in photos. It is an attractive but very subdued look. I wonder about the durability of the raw carbon finish and I assume that is why the frame is so light. You can see I put my own seatpost and saddle on there. I also removed a single spacer after this photo, which was all I can do without first cutting the steerer due to the ACR stem/topcap.

beautiful bike. hope to own one soon.
Old 01-07-20, 10:04 PM
jkonst

I received my Team Edition (SRAM Red) with ENVE 4.5 ARs about a week ago. I've got one ride in so far - all was good except my brakes were howling at the end of my short/somewhat wet ride (interestingly, only at very low speeds/when almost stopped - first time on discs for me, so I guess I have some learning about maintenance to do). Super comfortable ride, and the drivetrain was very smooth and quiet.

Weight is approximately (using the old fashioned weigh-yourself method) 17.8 pounds with pedals (Favero Assioma Duos) and a computer mount/one bottle holder, in size XL (so maybe ~17.1 pounds bare).

A few notes...
  • There weren't any instructions included on how to put the bike together, or tool recommendations. Seems like something that should be included - I sort of figured it all out (not that there was a ton to do), but I don't have a torque wrench and will probably have to pick one up, or take it to my LBS to let them check it over. They do have an old user's guide on their site, but a lot of the notes don't really apply.
  • There's an imperfection on my top tube, I think on the outer gloss. It doesn't look great and might get worse (it's still trying to peel a bit), and isn't something that happened in (or after) shipping; I'm pretty sure it was a manufacturing (painting) defect. Fezzari has offered to exchange the frame, but that seems like a pain to disassemble/ship/wait/reassemble/etc. - or a small discount to keep it at-is. Picture attached - this area is about a thumbnail in size.
  • The components are all high quality, but I may swap out the Metron 4D handlebars for the 5D integrated handlebars + stem at some point. I think it make for a cleaner look, and save some weight. I can't really think of anything else I'd change for now - we'll see how I do with the lower gearing (46-33/10-33) and the saddle (Ergon SR Pro Carbon - comfortable on ride #1 ).

Throwing in a few pictures from during/after the build, and of the imperfection I mentioned - and I'll throw in some better-composed shots if I get out for a sunny ride this weekend.

Sunset indoors

Putting it together with some help

Top tube issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.