Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage looking 28H rims?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 07:21 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts

In my quest to bring the Gazelle Superlicht back to life I've been scouring British eBay and I've come across a few steel Sturmey Archer hubs using 28 holes instead of the standard 32 or 40 holes.

With 40H rims being next to impossible to find nowadays in Europe I was wondering what silver 28 rims are available that wouldn't look too out of place on a 60's bike. I have built up wheels with the lovely H+Son TB14 polished modern box rims but I was hoping for something a bit more affordable. :/

Does anybody have any good suggestions in the sub €50/$50 catagory for silver 28H rims?

P.s. Is there any reason not to go for 28H rims on steel hubs with 700C wheels?

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-07-19 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-07-19, 12:16 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
The Pacenti Brevit rim is available in 28h and is shaped in exact vintage proportions while being light and wide.
I've built with these, and while they are not as stiff as say a TB14 rim, they cost less and have more width and a more-vintagy shape.
Likes For dddd:
Old 11-07-19, 01:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I have one I'm not using, but the shipping cost could be too high. Want me to look to see what I have? And no, there's nothing wrong with using a steel hub.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-07-19, 04:34 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
I've bought two pairs of these Mavic Open Sup 28h rims from this seller, and they build up great. Not really vintage profile, but at least are silver, and don't look too bad on an older bike:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mavic-open-.../271959709384/

Old 11-07-19, 05:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I think I bought some NOS Mavic Open SUP welded rims a while ago. Still haven't built them up. Unfortunately it looks like they are getting tough to find, but there still should be some out there.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-08-19, 03:29 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The Pacenti Brevit rim is available in 28h and is shaped in exact vintage proportions while being light and wide.
I've built with these, and while they are not as stiff as say a TB14 rim, they cost less and have more width and a more-vintagy shape.
Unfortunately, since I live in Europe, these are more expensive to get than the TB14's but they are definetely nice rims. (with shipping I only see them around $200 for a pair)
Though they do offer a nice 28H 650B option as well. Thanks for the reminder these exist.

The TB14's are around €66 or £65 a piece over here.

Originally Posted by noglider
I have one I'm not using, but the shipping cost could be too high. Want me to look to see what I have? And no, there's nothing wrong with using a steel hub.
Shipping would probably kill the deal over here but I appreciate the offer.

Seems like my options are limited to the Pacenti, TB14 or the Grand Bois Papillon models. Neither one if which is particularly cheap.

I wanted to build these around a Sturmey Archer 28H dynohub and a 40H alloy 4-speed FM hub. The latter being swapped to a 28/32/36H steel 3-speed hub.
And I was looking for an excuse to buy a nice looking pair of Fairweather by Pasela 'for cruise' skinwall tyres in cream (44 x 650B or 37 x 700C).

Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good deal.