Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized calls for the Future Shock assembly to be replaced every 500 hours

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized calls for the Future Shock assembly to be replaced every 500 hours

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-19, 10:06 PM
bikera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
FWIW, I think (I do not know) that the $350ish (US) amount for a new FS cartridge may refer to the FS 2.0 one, which is entirely different as many here will know, with proper full-hydraulic damping....
It's possible though I did see my LBS's service tech select the FS cartridge from the Specialized website's list of available parts for my '18 Roubaix model so I'm 99.9% sure the $330 quoted was for the 1.0 version. BTW - I'm very happy with the 1.0 version and don't feel like my riding style would benefit enough from the hydraulically damped 2.0 version to justify an even more expensive replacement part that also carries with it the added possibility of an eventual hydraulic fluid leak (tho' I'm not saying that hydraulic damping isn't the right answer for other riders).
Old 11-15-19, 07:25 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by bikera
It's possible though I did see my LBS's service tech select the FS cartridge from the Specialized website's list of available parts for my '18 Roubaix model so I'm 99.9% sure the $330 quoted was for the 1.0 version. BTW - I'm very happy with the 1.0 version and don't feel like my riding style would benefit enough from the hydraulically damped 2.0 version to justify an even more expensive replacement part that also carries with it the added possibility of an eventual hydraulic fluid leak (tho' I'm not saying that hydraulic damping isn't the right answer for other riders).
You could very well be right re. the pricing; as I said, just speculating with no direct knowledge! I've never actually asked -- don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that.

I would have been happy with the 1.0 as well had the cartridge not been defective: I'm told a manufacturing defect re. seating of the needle bearings in the lower assembly. It certainly worked well enough, but was sticky/clicky/noisy.
Old 11-15-19, 07:50 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
I own both and much prefer the 2.0.

As for replacement cost, Specialized told me in an email response that the 2.0 version does not have a service interval and if if fails, it would be covered by their frame warranty.
Old 11-15-19, 08:02 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat

As for replacement cost, Specialized told me in an email response that the 2.0 version does not have a service interval and if if fails, it would be covered by their frame warranty.
How long is the frame warranty?
Old 11-15-19, 08:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

From the fine print, see below boldface for emphasis. It's good you have an email though in case they change their interpretation of what constitutes the 'frame'.

Lifetime Warranty on Specialized-branded frames and framesets: Specialized warrants the structural integrity of the frame or frameset to the original retail purchaser for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the Product. Paint and graphics are not included in this definition. Frameset means a Specialized-branded frame equipped with a Specialized branded rigid fork. Suspension forks and suspension parts are not included in the definition of frame or frameset. Frame includes seat stays and chain stays on both rigid and full suspension models.
Old 11-15-19, 08:16 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts

I would much appreciate it if you could please relate your actual experience differences note.

TIA
Old 11-15-19, 08:58 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
How long is the frame warranty?
The frame warranty is a lifetime warranty for the original owner.
Old 11-15-19, 08:59 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
From the fine print, see below boldface for emphasis. It's good you have an email though in case they change their interpretation of what constitutes the 'frame'.

Lifetime Warranty on Specialized-branded frames and framesets: Specialized warrants the structural integrity of the frame or frameset to the original retail purchaser for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the Product. Paint and graphics are not included in this definition. Frameset means a Specialized-branded frame equipped with a Specialized branded rigid fork. Suspension forks and suspension parts are not included in the definition of frame or frameset. Frame includes seat stays and chain stays on both rigid and full suspension models.
I retained the email should I ever need it, though I suppose Specialized could always come back and say the employee was wrong. Hopefully it never comes up.
Old 11-15-19, 09:37 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I would much appreciate it if you could please relate your actual experience differences note.

TIA
I'll preface my response by saying that I'm a big guy, about 250 pounds.

I ran the FS1 on my Diverge Comp with the heaviest spring. Even so, it was a bit too mushy for my preference. I suppose I can bottom it out if I ride rough enough trails but on the road it's fine. It's a little mushy when sprinting out of the saddle. The FS1 feels just like what it is, a spring shock...a very well executed spring shock. For probably 99% of my ride time I didn't think about it. It made a huge difference in ride quality. I have about 3600 miles on the bike and still own it, though I will be rehoming it soon. I tried to replace the bike with a Canyon Endurace. I put about 2600 miles on the Endurace, but the stiffer ride beat me up.

On the FS2, I normally have the setting about 2-3 clicks off of the stiffest setting. On the stiffest setting it's pretty close to being a lock out. At 2-3 clicks below max, I can purposely push down on the bars and feel the travel, otherwise I don't feel it unless I'm sprinting. Occasionally I'll hit a clump of dirt or something on the road and I can feel the travel. I don't recall ever bottoming it out, even at the lower dampening settings. When sprinting, I can still feel the FS moving up and down but to a much lesser degree than the FS1. It seems just like what it is...an oil dampened spring shock...much more refined.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-15-19, 09:49 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

TIA
I can offer some limited comment here, fwiw. My bike came with FS 1.0 -- the progressive spring version. The factory defect I noted above aside, it worked as advertised and certainly did noticeably reduce jolting/vibration through the front end of the bike.

FS 2.0 is even more effective. It is much quieter and 'smoother' in operation, but to my mind the most important difference is how well it operates in four respects.

First, it feels much more like a very good suspension fork in that it more effectively sits slightly into its travel (= sag). Perhaps in consequence (not sure) it seems more sensitive/fluid in response to small jolts etc. Second, in my experience there is not the same tendency for it to bottom out harshly. Third, there is no harsh top out on rebound. All of this I would think is the result of effective hydraulic damping.

Fourth, also in consequence of that damping, it is widely adjustable, from full open (where I usually have it set) to 'off'. The latter is not quite 'off', but close enough. As I said I leave it fully open most of the time, as I find the movement not to be disconcerting at all for my riding, and I'd rather have the full benefit of it even were that at the expense of some minimal amount of 'efficiency'.

Summary: with FS 2.0 and my preferred 32mm Roubaix Pro tires run at proper pressure, my bike now feels much 'smoother' in terms of front-end shock absorbtion and vibration damping than it did with its stock 38mm tires (at proper pressure) and FS 1.0.

Bear in mind, of course, that this is me: a 68 year-old recreational cyclist, arthritic as hell, regularly riding over routes that typically include pavement good and bad and dirt roads/trails. As always, everyone else's mmv.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-15-19, 10:01 AM
bikera

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll preface my response by saying that I'm a big guy, about 250 pounds. I ran the FS1 on my Diverge Comp with the heaviest spring. Even so, it was a bit too mushy for my preference.... On the FS2, I normally have the setting about 2-3 clicks off of the stiffest setting. On the stiffest setting it's pretty close to being a lock out. At 2-3 clicks below max, I can purposely push down on the bars and feel the travel, otherwise I don't feel it unless I'm sprinting.... It seems just like what it is...an oil dampened spring shock...much more refined.
Understood - I weigh 125lbs. and don't sprint. I use the medium spring so I can imagine what double my weight might do to the FS1. I am a spinner vs. a masher & grinder (even when climbing) and also consciously bias my hand movements to pull up more than push down on the h-bar (knowing that otherwise the FS1 will bob a bit). I knew that this slight tweak would be needed after test riding the bike (a concession I found wholly acceptable given how wonderful the front end of the bike behaves). But otherwise I fully understand why most riders would prefer the FS2 and there's a chance I may end up with it at some point when Specialized no longer has any FS1 cartridge's available.

...As for replacement cost, Specialized told me in an email response that the 2.0 version does not have a service interval and if if fails, it would be covered by their frame warranty.
This just makes me more concerned about what Specialized's official policy is concerning these FS cartridges. At this point I don't believe anything I've seen since none of it is in any Specialized document that I've seen (i.e., the email to you is hardly an official announcement to the public). But otherwise I'm glad that you at least have something in writing that might help avoid a $500 FS2 replacement cost in the future.

Last edited by bikera; 11-15-19 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-19, 10:06 AM
MattTheHat 

Understood - I weight 125lbs. and don't sprint. I use the medium spring so I can imagine what double my weight might do to the FS1. I am a spinner vs. a masher & grinder (even when climbing) and also consciously bias my hand movements to pull up more than push down on the h-bar (knowing that otherwise the FS1 will bob a bit). I knew that this slight tweak would be needed after test riding the bike (a concession I found wholly acceptable given how wonderful the front end of the bike behaves). But otherwise I fully understand why most riders would prefer the FS2 and there's a chance I may end up with it at some point when Specialized no longer has any FS1 cartridge's available.

This just makes me more concerned about what Specialized's official policy is concerning these FS cartridges. At this point I don't believe anything I've seen since none of it is in any Specialized document that I've seen (i.e., the email to you is hardly an official announcement to the public). But otherwise I'm glad that you at least have something in writing that might help avoid a $500 FS2 replacement cost in the future.
Yeah, it's the same for trainer use. I emailed them yesterday about their warranty policy on trainer use. The response was that as of 2020 models, they allow trainer use in their warranty. So, they said my 2018 Diverge wouldn't be covered, but the Roubaix is. It would be really nice for them to officially announce this, much like Canyon did a few weeks ago. The warranty statement itself is just silent on the matter. I would *hope* a company as large as Specialized wouldn't be interested in misleading their customers, so I feel pretty good about both issues.

And that sealed the deal for rehoming the Diverge.
Old 11-15-19, 10:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The frame warranty is a lifetime warranty for the original owner.
I retained the email should I ever need it, though I suppose Specialized could always come back and say the employee was wrong. Hopefully it never comes up.
Do save that email, but I can't see how it can possibly be correct.

First, it is contradicted by the warranty language above.

Second, even before reading that, there is no way that Specialized (or anyone for that matter) is going to give a lifetime warranty on suspension parts. I am sure none of their FS frames have lifetime warranties on the shocks or pivot bearings. I cannot see why this would be any different.

And it is even more unlikely that they would give a lifetime warranty for a hydraulic damped suspension unit with no recommended service interval.
Old 11-15-19, 10:30 AM
MattTheHat 

Do save that email, but I can't see how it can possibly be correct.

First, it is contradicted by the warranty language above.

Second, even before reading that, there is no way that Specialized (or anyone for that matter) is going to give a lifetime warranty on suspension parts. I am sure none of their FS frames have lifetime warranties on the shocks or pivot bearings. I cannot see why this would be any different.

And it is even more unlikely that they would give a lifetime warranty for a hydraulic damped suspension unit with no recommended service interval.
Here's the response:

"So our carbon road frames currently have a weight limit of 250 pounds. And the Future Shock 2.0 that comes on the 2020 Roubaix is not serviceable so it has no service interval. If a Future Shock 2.0 is not working optimally, we would just replace the entire Future Shock assembly in the bike."

I have saved the email. But in the long run, they're going to cover what they're going to cover, warranty statement or email or not. With the emails I feel confident enough that they would do the right thing. If not, I guess I'd move on to another brand for the replacement bike.
Old 11-15-19, 10:47 AM
MattTheHat 

Understood - I weight 125lbs. and don't sprint. I use the medium spring so I can imagine what double my weight might do to the FS1. I am a spinner vs. a masher & grinder (even when climbing) and also consciously bias my hand movements to pull up more than push down on the h-bar (knowing that otherwise the FS1 will bob a bit). I knew that this slight tweak would be needed after test riding the bike (a concession I found wholly acceptable given how wonderful the front end of the bike behaves). But otherwise I fully understand why most riders would prefer the FS2 and there's a chance I may end up with it at some point when Specialized no longer has any FS1 cartridge's available.

To be honest, the emailed claim that the FS2 didn't need service and if it did, it would be covered under warranty was one of the justifications I had for spending as much as I did on the Roubaix. The Di2 was another. In the long run, I figure I'll put enough miles on the bike that if I end up having to buy a replacement FS2 down the road, it won't be the end of the world. I won't be happy about it, and I would likely not buy another Specialized bike, because they didn't honor their word in the emails, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I mean, a good set of tires cost close to $200, and they last a few thousand miles. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
Old 11-15-19, 10:55 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Here's the response:
......... If a Future Shock 2.0 is not working optimally, we would just replace the entire Future Shock assembly in the bike."
Under warranty? Do you have where he said it would be under warranty? He might just be explaining how it is fixed, not who pays for it.
Old 11-15-19, 10:56 AM
MattTheHat 

Under warranty?
"We" would replace would seem to indicate that. Otherwise I'd think they would have said "you" would replace.
Old 11-15-19, 11:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

"We" would replace would seem to indicate that. Otherwise I'd think they would have said "you" would replace.
If he was responding to a question specifically asking if this would be warrantied, then yes, it would be reasonable to think that, though I would have asked for clarification.

Otherwise, I would not assume that at all. When my car mechanic says "We'll replace the fuel pump" I do not assume they are paying for it.
Old 11-15-19, 11:23 AM
badger1

Re. warranty, here is the exact language (U.S. and Canada).

"Lifetime Warranty on Specialized-branded frames and framesets: Specialized warrants the structural integrity of the frame or frameset to the original retail purchaser for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the Product. Paint and graphics are not included in this definition. Frameset means a Specialized-branded frame equipped with a Specialized branded rigid fork. Suspension forks and suspension parts are not included in the definition of frame or frameset. Frame includes seat stays and chain stays on both rigid and full suspension models."

I assume from this that FS 2.0 (or 1.0 for that matter) is not covered lifetime. I assume it would be covered by the following, at minimum:

"Specialized-branded components, equipment, shoes, helmets, and paint and graphics on Specialized-branded frames and framesets: 2-year Warranty from the date of original retail purchase. This includes, for example, co-branded suspension parts such as BRAIN equipped forks and shocks, and motors and other drive system components on electric bicycles."

I would think the FS assembly is akin to, say, a Specialized-branded headset: a "component", so two years.
Old 11-15-19, 11:40 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by badger1
Re. warranty, here is the exact language (U.S. and Canada).

"Lifetime Warranty on Specialized-branded frames and framesets: Specialized warrants the structural integrity of the frame or frameset to the original retail purchaser for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the Product. Paint and graphics are not included in this definition. Frameset means a Specialized-branded frame equipped with a Specialized branded rigid fork. Suspension forks and suspension parts are not included in the definition of frame or frameset. Frame includes seat stays and chain stays on both rigid and full suspension models."

I assume from this that FS 2.0 (or 1.0 for that matter) is not covered lifetime. I assume it would be covered by the following, at minimum:

"Specialized-branded components, equipment, shoes, helmets, and paint and graphics on Specialized-branded frames and framesets: 2-year Warranty from the date of original retail purchase. This includes, for example, co-branded suspension parts such as BRAIN equipped forks and shocks, and motors and other drive system components on electric bicycles."

I would think the FS assembly is akin to, say, a Specialized-branded headset: a "component", so two years.
To clarify my earlier post, I was wrong. I'm not sure where I got the "under the frame warranty" part. The response just said "And the Future Shock 2.0 that comes on the 2020 Roubaix is not serviceable so it has no service interval. If a Future Shock 2.0 is not working optimally, we would just replace the entire Future Shock assembly in the bike."

As others have mentioned, this may just be for 2 years, or may or may not be at their cost or my cost. If I ever need to replace it, I guess I'll find out.

The service interval was really the subject of my inquiry. Having read the suggested service interval on the FS1 I had wondered what they indicated for the FS2.
Old 11-15-19, 12:46 PM
bikera

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...In the long run, I figure I'll put enough miles on the bike that if I end up having to buy a replacement FS2 down the road, it won't be the end of the world. I won't be happy about it, and I would likely not buy another Specialized bike, because they didn't honor their word in the emails, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I mean, a good set of tires cost close to $200, and they last a few thousand miles. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
Yeah - I bought the S-Works version so the difference between $55 for an FS1 cartridge (as was originally reported) and the $330 my LBS quoted is chicken feed that I will pay if needed. But I too won't think kindly of Specialized if they don't ever officially clarify the predicted maintenance requirements and list price for these cartridges.
Likes For bikera:
Old 11-15-19, 06:17 PM
bikera

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where is Specialized's "Official" FS Warranty/Service Info?

A bit more on what perturbs me about this FS maintenance issue. I've never seen any "official" information from Specialized saying that the FS1 cartridge needs to be replaced every 500hrs (not even a tech bulletin only sent to bike shops). I've only seen the "500hrs." reported on forums and in e-zine articles (correct me if I missed something).

What's more my LBS (which is one of the largest shops in Denver so they deal with lots of Roubaix's/Diverge's) has said that: 1) They are not aware of the 500hr. recommendation (OTOH they knew about the steerer tube collar recall well-before I did because they received a tech bulletin about it, but they claim to have never received any communications from Specialized about the 500hr. thing), and 2) They've never replaced an FS cartridge except for a couple that were defective from the get-go (which were covered under the warranty), so they therefore told me that I probably don't need to worry about ever replacing the FS cartridge.

I'm not saying I trust my LBS's "you'll never need to replace the FS cartridge" statement (in fact it seems highly questionable given that we're talking about a bunch of needle bearings in a housing that is probably not tightly-sealed). Hopefully a call to Specialized (I will try on Monday) will provide clearer information about this and the replacement cartridge cost question.

But don't stand by with bated breath!

Last edited by bikera; 11-16-19 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-20-19, 04:41 PM
bikera

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Specialized Makes No Claim to the 500hr. Replacement Interval!

I called Specialized today and they (or at least the person I spoke to) claims that they have never stated that the FS1 should be replaced every 500hrs. of ride time. Instead he said that I should either: 1) Not worry about the FS unless there's an issue, or 2) Clean and re-grease the bearings every 5,000mi. or so depending on how much wet riding I do (which for me would be every 1-2yrs. However, they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me if there is or isn't a published list price for an FS1 cartridge, though either way I certainly won't pay my LBS the $330 they quoted me for one.

So for now I'm gonna look for a reasonably-priced FS1 cartridge on eBay to keep as a spare, and then attempt to clean & re-grease the bearings next season. However, I've heard that the cartridge is not meant to be "user-serviceable" (I didn't remove it from my bike just to see what's involved), but at least I'll have a spare on hand in case I damage it trying to gain entry...we'll see!?
Old 11-20-19, 07:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I called Specialized today and they (or at least the person I spoke to) claims that they have never stated that the FS1 should be replaced every 500hrs. of ride time. Instead he said that I should either: 1) Not worry about the FS unless there's an issue, or 2) Clean and re-grease the bearings every 5,000mi. or so depending on how much wet riding I do (which for me would be every 1-2yrs).
There are internet rumors that are started for one reason or another perhaps to discourage people from purchasing a product.

However, servicing the future shock ever 500 hours or 5000 miles is likely a similar rating (give or take a factor of 2).

However, I've heard that the cartridge is not meant to be "user-serviceable" (I didn't remove it from my bike just to see what's involved),

So the technician you talked to suggested servicing a non-servicable component every 250 to 500 hours?

I'm seeing a few notes on the internet about spring swapping. But not a full service. Perhaps it is time to call Specialized back and ask for a service bulletin/instructions on the shock, and whether any internal parts are available. Parts diagram?

You asked about E-Bay searches. From time to time I'll search completed listings.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...mplete=1&rt=nc

Which the future shock showed up twice. E-Bay shows 2 or 3 months of history, so that gives one an approximate rate that they pop up.

I think Specialized and Cannondale spell "shock" differently.

Note, there were 3 listed in the recent E-Bay history. The cheapest one showed up only when searching with a compound word.
Old 11-20-19, 07:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
If the FS1 and FS2 are interchangeable, perhaps it would also be worth it to hold out until you can find a FS2 cartridge for a price you like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.