Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2020 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc or 2020 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-19, 01:19 PM
80miletrip

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, my roadie friends! I've been researching for a few weeks now for a new race bike. I've looked at other brands and my choices narrowed down to these two bikes. They are almost identical in price but the Giant TCR has power meter installed so I feel like it's a better deal. I need your input on what would be a better choice. Both bikes have the same drive train (Ultegra Di2) and both have carbon rims. The TCR also has tubeless tires. I've never used tubeless tires before. Is there a significant advantage of tubeless? Also, if you have any suggestion/s in this price range ($5k-5,500 USD) please let me know so I can consider and look at them also. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-19, 06:59 PM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I have a 2016 TCR. I like it so much I bought a second one, a
discounted 2019.

I really did not care that the bike came set up tubeless. Second ride
on it I got home and was wiping the bike down. I saw something on
the front tire. Looked like gum or something. Yep had a puncture on
the second ride and did not even know it.
Old 11-16-19, 10:46 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
You tend to get more bang for buck from bigger companies.
Old 11-16-19, 11:57 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I am surprised that they are both the same price. Specialized is usually at the more expensive end of the spectrum and Giant the opposite for similar spec bikes.
Giant is more often discounted too, at least here in New Zealand.
Old 11-18-19, 01:58 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
There are tons of threads on tubeless vs clincher tires so I'll refer you to those. But have to say Giant's tubeless is trash. I had a sidewall cut third ride in and had to walk the bike for a mile to the closest shop. I read it on other forums that people have had similar experiences. It wasn't fun. You'll probably wanna get a new pair of GP5Ks or Schwalbe tubeless tires if you want to get the TCR so keep that in mind.

However, you'll also have a working power meter on the bike. It's the new generation Power Pro (MY20). It just works. Let's say a decent PM costs $500-1000 depending on the brand. Power Pro retails for ~$900. So that's def a huge difference-maker if you like training with a PM. Giant has pretty great customer service too. They replaced my broken PM no questions asked. I had no idea it was under the warranty.

I can't comment on the ride qualities since I never owned a Tarmac but owned a Roubaix before. Spesh makes damn fine bikes. I love my TCR tho. It just flies on the flats and climbs. I am running 28mm Specialized turbo cotton tires with plenty of room.

That 2020 TCR in metallic red is also pretty nice. It's similar to candy red sworks disc frameset for half the price. Good luck.
Old 11-21-19, 06:13 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I looked at both of those bikes in earlier this year, I ended up with the Giant Tcr advanced pro 0 disc. Both bikes were fantastic, ride well and came fairly well spec’d out. I ended up with the Giant TCR, mainly due to price. My giant dealer will negotiate, the specialized dealers want retail and act like I should be happy that they don’t sell them for more.

I will say that I immediately swapped the factory giant tires for a set of Pro one’s set up tubeless. The bike is light, fast and smooth. I’m 100% happy with my choice, but I don’t think you can go wrong with the Tarmac either.
Old 11-21-19, 07:05 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
One deciding factor for the purchase of my Propel Advanced SL was that Giant manufactures the carbon fiber used for production as apposed to purchasing the CF from a source as most other manufacturing companies need to do.