Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycle Oregon Pictures

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycle Oregon Pictures

Old 09-10-19, 05:53 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Cycle Oregon Pictures

A few pictures. Off the grid for a few days. Unseasonably wet and cold!!! Damn. 30 mile climb day 1. 25 mile climb day up McKenzie Pass day 2 and 20 mile climb today.

Likes For jppe:
Old 09-10-19, 06:06 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Likes For jppe:
Old 09-11-19, 08:21 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
I used to live in Bend, so your pics bring back a lot of memories. Thanks.
Old 09-11-19, 08:39 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
My dream is to cycle the Oregon Coast , starting North and heading South of course. I met a couple here in Ventura that did it shortly after retiring and only got rained on once! I am not sure how they pulled it off because it seems it is always raining on the Oregon Coast. They had a fantastic time though and just made me want to put it on the top of my to do list. I am contemplating retiring up one of the river valleys maybe a couple of miles somewhere around Coos Bay in a few years. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 09-11-19, 08:41 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Omigosh. I've done CO several times, and although I'm sure I was on a different route, I cycled over many of the same places. I remember going through Rainbow and over MacKenzie Pass. It was raining when I went through as well ... we were descending down that twisty road you have there and it was flippin scary with all the wet leaves.

Awesome ride, though. I hope you're heading to the other side of the Cascades for some dry weather.

Old 09-12-19, 08:09 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Nice pics. Thanks for including us.
Old 09-14-19, 10:54 AM
oldfatboy

Bikes: Trek Verve 3, Schwinn Mountain Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
I'll be in Oregon next weekend, but will be by Idaho border since I will be visiting there also. I'll be spending 10 between the Washington tri-city area and Boise.
Old 09-14-19, 01:17 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Inspiring! You the man ; )
Old 09-14-19, 10:43 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My dream is to cycle the Oregon Coast , starting North and heading South of course. I met a couple here in Ventura that did it shortly after retiring and only got rained on once! I am not sure how they pulled it off because it seems it is always raining on the Oregon Coast. They had a fantastic time though and just made me want to put it on the top of my to do list. I am contemplating retiring up one of the river valleys maybe a couple of miles somewhere around Coos Bay in a few years. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Do you know what you're getting into if you move to the Coos County area? It's kind of our own version of "Deliverance". There's some nice folks there, but it operates under its own rules. If you've checked it out and find it's to your liking, I hope you enjoy the heck out of it, different strokes and all.

Just be aware of some of the key differences between OR and CA. For instance, OR is truly a buyer beware real estate state where anything goes. The legislature just rescinded a longstanding law that prevented building important facilities in the tsunami inundation zone, so be aware of what you'll have available to you when the Cascadia fault decides it's time (apparently we're a bit overdue for an 8-9 quake). None of our roads or bridges are built to withstand the expected shake down because they predate any knowledge of the fault.

Also, there's a gas pipeline that is looking more and more likely to get built. That will mean a gas export facility in Coos Bay. Do check the proposed routes for the pipeline, unless you're into having one run across your back yard.
Old 09-15-19, 09:41 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
I must say @jppe = you do get around.

Beautiful pics as always.
Old 09-16-19, 08:35 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Do you know what you're getting into if you move to the Coos County area? It's kind of our own version of "Deliverance". There's some nice folks there, but it operates under its own rules. If you've checked it out and find it's to your liking, I hope you enjoy the heck out of it, different strokes and all.

Just be aware of some of the key differences between OR and CA. For instance, OR is truly a buyer beware real estate state where anything goes. The legislature just rescinded a longstanding law that prevented building important facilities in the tsunami inundation zone, so be aware of what you'll have available to you when the Cascadia fault decides it's time (apparently we're a bit overdue for an 8-9 quake). None of our roads or bridges are built to withstand the expected shake down because they predate any knowledge of the fault.

Also, there's a gas pipeline that is looking more and more likely to get built. That will mean a gas export facility in Coos Bay. Do check the proposed routes for the pipeline, unless you're into having one run across your back yard.
Thank you for the info on Coos County. I will be spending some time there and around the coastal areas in Southern Oregon and will keep that in mind. My family moved from Seattle Wash. in 1959/1960 and it seems as long as I can remember I have been hearing the same doomsday predictions about our San Andreas Fault that runs the length of California. I have seen some pretty gnarly earthquakes and raging fires , etc. I think none of us can predict these things and to try to say that man can predict the time when they are to occur is overstepping our capabilities. I have read some very "smart and educated people" make these predictions about how California will split in two and most of us are going to drop into the ocean. It may sometime happen , it may not. Humans cannot predict these things. I would not build right on a fault line , unless the price was right! (ha ha) .