Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

How long till your bum gets sore?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 10-11-19, 11:18 AM
Sexy_Lugs

Bikes: WebbWorks Bamboo Thai Silk, Motobacane Ti, Trek Remedy 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hello friends,

I am sure this has been asked 100 times, but how long does it take till your sit bones get sore?

i ride around 50-140 miles a week and I noticed that around 40 miles and above my sir bones become sore. I push through it like I expect everyone elE does, but I guess it is time to ask the question, at what point does your bones get sore?
Old 10-11-19, 11:52 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I get some discomfort around oh, 70 or 80 kms or so, but it does depend on which bike I'm riding and how I'm riding.

I did a very fast (for me) 100k group ride recently on my Scott and I don't recall any issue with my butt getting sore, but that was an aggressive ride and I wasn't likely putting much weight on the saddle for most of that ride

Conversely I completed a tour recently (International Selkirk Loop) with a small group of friends on my Diverge, and after the first day my butt was killing me and I was in agony for the rest of that ride. The last day I must have stood on the pedals for half the ride!

That turned out to be an issue with the stock saddle more than anything else. It wasn't something I'd noticed before but that was the first time I've ridden that bike for those distances day after day.

After the tour I swapped the saddle out for a Specialized Romin that I had on hand and my comfort level improved dramatically, even on a 90 km ride I did shortly after the tour.

But even on my AWOL with a B17 I will usually get some discomfort around the 80 km mark. It's not normally the kind of agony I had on the Diverge before swapping the saddle though - I don't ever want that kind of discomfort again!
Old 10-11-19, 12:15 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
My sit bones never get sore, no matter the length of the ride.

I attribute that partly to getting out of the saddle and standing on the pedals every few minutes.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-12-19, 11:36 AM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Many cyclist seem to have a phobia about padding on a saddle, as well as one with some flex to it. Of course a ton of padding is no good, either, but like everything else in life, its about finding that happy medium. (Yeah, easier said then done.) See if something with (some) more padding and flex helps. (Bike fit may also be a culprit.)
Old 10-12-19, 12:12 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 444 Posts
Getting out of the saddle periodically helps.

Finding a good saddle can be tough. I now use SMP saddles with a full length cutout. I got the right width, just based on what they call pants size, which means waist size, at least for those not carrying excess weight. I needed a narrow model and the Stratos with standard padding did the trick.

It's also important to have a seatpost that allows fine adjustments to the saddle angle and a digital level to measure the saddle angle. I always use a post with a 2-bolt rocker style post like the FSA K-force that has a 25mm setback. Posts that rely on serrated notches won't allow small changes to saddle angle.

Having good quality shorts with a good pad is also a must. Don't cheap out on the shorts.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 10-12-19, 06:36 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Never get a sore bum, despite riding a SMP Composit which has no padding.
Even rode 1000km through Vietnam over 9 days with no pain at all.

Old 10-13-19, 09:39 AM
Sexy_Lugs

Bikes: WebbWorks Bamboo Thai Silk, Motobacane Ti, Trek Remedy 9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hmm ok, I am hoping it’s a time thing with this saddle even though I have 500ish miles on it. It could also be I am not standing up enough. So many variances and possibilities.
Old 10-13-19, 12:09 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I tried a Brooks and my butt was sore every time i rode; got rid of it after a year. Went through saddles until I found a Fizik which my butt just loves. Have one for each bike. I can ride for about 3 hours before I need a 10 minute break, but that's also partly to stretch my hips and legs, not just rest my butt. Finding the right saddle and riding position makes all the difference.
Old 10-19-19, 09:37 PM
bpcyclist

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
My backside loves the Fizik Antares it rides. As long as I have a decent shammy situation, I'm fine up to around 100 miles. After that, I may start to get a bit sore here and there.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-19-19, 10:02 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I haven't seen this mentioned yet. Perhaps this is too obvious and assumed to everyone here, but maybe not...

Is the question of sore sit bones WITH the protection of proper bike shorts/bibs? Or WITHOUT?

Reason I question this is when I first started riding I made it several hundred miles in to "serious" riding (over a couple months, not all at once) without proper bike shorts. I upgraded the saddle on my Disk Trucker to a Brooks Flyer Special after the first ride (just wanted to see how the stock saddle worked). I assumed the saddle had to break in - which it did - but my rear end never "got used to" the saddle to where I was comfortable for long. So I upgraded to bike shorts. The saddle has long since broken in and the combination of the saddle and bike shorts is a winner for me.

I will also note that the saddle on my folding bike is padded (whereas the Brooks is not - but it is not hard molded plastic/composite, either - there is some flex in it). The folder saddle is good for me to ride without bike shorts for short rides. If I am going out for 10+ miles I will put bike shorts on, regardless. I don't have any saddle soreness at all.

So if you do not have proper bike shorts or bibs go get you some. Also, if you aren't familiar with them - you DO NOT wear underwear with them. Underwear will chafe and cause, perhaps, more problems. Try a few different pairs of shorts and see what works. I went with a "middle of the road" Canari model, I forget what they are. They were around $100/pair. They worked great for me so I bought 2 more - nearly identical, but slightly updated. Well worth the $ for all-day riding comfort, if you ask me.
Old 10-19-19, 10:13 PM
bpcyclist

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I haven't seen this mentioned yet. Perhaps this is too obvious and assumed to everyone here, but maybe not...

Is the question of sore sit bones WITH the protection of proper bike shorts/bibs? Or WITHOUT?

Reason I question this is when I first started riding I made it several hundred miles in to "serious" riding (over a couple months, not all at once) without proper bike shorts. I upgraded the saddle on my Disk Trucker to a Brooks Flyer Special after the first ride (just wanted to see how the stock saddle worked). I assumed the saddle had to break in - which it did - but my rear end never "got used to" the saddle to where I was comfortable for long. So I upgraded to bike shorts. The saddle has long since broken in and the combination of the saddle and bike shorts is a winner for me.

I will also note that the saddle on my folding bike is padded (whereas the Brooks is not - but it is not hard molded plastic/composite, either - there is some flex in it). The folder saddle is good for me to ride without bike shorts for short rides. If I am going out for 10+ miles I will put bike shorts on, regardless. I don't have any saddle soreness at all.

So if you do not have proper bike shorts or bibs go get you some. Also, if you aren't familiar with them - you DO NOT wear underwear with them. Underwear will chafe and cause, perhaps, more problems. Try a few different pairs of shorts and see what works. I went with a "middle of the road" Canari model, I forget what they are. They were around $100/pair. They worked great for me so I bought 2 more - nearly identical, but slightly updated. Well worth the $ for all-day riding comfort, if you ask me.
Agreed. I have several pair, including Canari, poc, and one other I can't recall the name of because the label has been worn off it. These were all what I would characterize as fairly expensive items. At least to me they were. That said, I also have a number of pairs of no-name Chinese bibs I purchased off amazon. I know I will get heat for this on this forum. The fact is, though, that some cycling clothing is just ridiculously priced, in my opinion. Three of my cheapie Chinese bibs are awesome. I wear them multiple times a week. And they cost a fraction of what my pocs were. My point is just that, if money is a bit of an issue, there are alternatives that are more affordable than Assos. You just need to research it a bit.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-20-19, 01:38 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

I attribute that partly to getting out of the saddle and standing on the pedals every few minutes.
That's not a rational conclusion. Any continuous position gets sore in time.
Old 10-21-19, 10:51 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by KraneXL
That's not a rational conclusion. Any continuous position gets sore in time.
I'm confused by your comment.

As I stated, I'm getting out of the saddle every few minutes, so I'm obviously not using a "continuous position".

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-21-19, 12:18 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'm usually good for a 400k. Longer than that and there's going to be at least a little discomfort.
Old 10-21-19, 12:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I never get sore there. I get sore in plenty of other places. Maybe it's because of conditioning in general, or maybe it's because I have the saddle that suits me best. I hope you can find relief. Don't stop trying saddles until you're happy. You're already putting on enough miles to make it a good test.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-21-19, 12:41 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts

As I stated, I'm getting out of the saddle every few minutes, so I'm obviously not using a "continuous position".
As am I by yours. Even with frequent in-saddle/out-of-saddle breaks there is still a "bum soreness limit" to how long you can ride in one session. That is the question.
Old 10-21-19, 01:39 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by KraneXL
As am I by yours. Even with frequent in-saddle/out-of-saddle breaks there is still a "bum soreness limit" to how long you can ride in one session. That is the question.
That doesn't match my experience. I have ridden up to 155 miles in a single day, with no "bum soreness".

Last edited by terrymorse; 10-22-19 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-21-19, 01:49 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
About 4 hours. That’s about as much time as I care to spend on a bike in one day anyway. No padded shorts, no bibs, just whatever I’m wearing at the time.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 10-22-19, 12:49 PM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
For me it depends on what type of riding I'm doing. For example there are routes that I take near me where I can go out for 2.5 - 4 hours that cover somewhere between 35 - 45 miles. These rides have a good handful of hills to climb as well as flat sections. In this case getting out of the saddle, changing positions on the bike (in the drops, hoods etc.) and generally having to do different things prevent it. On the other hand some charity rides that are 75 miles of completely flat I have more body parts that are in pain after 40 miles of flat only than anything else. I also have a favorite pair of shorts that I depend on and I make sure I wear them on the long rides.
Old 10-23-19, 12:32 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm usually good for a 400k. Longer than that and there's going to be at least a little discomfort.
Yeah, that's about the same for me. Basically I'm fine until my legs get tired, and then I start to sit more heavily in the saddle. But to be fair, when I've ridden 400 km, that's already 15 or more hours on the bike, and pretty much everything starts getting tired and sore.

Regularly getting out of the saddle definitely helps. But as my legs get tired, I do less of that.
Old 10-24-19, 09:48 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I have to take a butt break after riding 2 miles. Pathetic!
Old 11-01-19, 09:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
400k is also as long as I want to sit on a bike saddle in one go. Of course one takes breaks every 50 miles or so and I stand every 10 minutes by the clock. Still, it gets old. Not sore, really, just tired of sitting. OTOH, I've had saddles which hurt my butt after only 1 hour and saddles which made my butt bleed. Just the right saddle is the trick, meaning just right for you. Everyone's different. In general for really long rides most folks want enough padding that they can just get their thumb into it. Firm, but some give. Sitting on it should feel like no give, really. Besides that, the shape has to be just right so that it fits your butt shape. It's no accident that Performance bike has hundreds of saddles for sale. There's a lot of variety in butt shape. You're doing enough riding that it's probably the saddle, not just that your butt needs conditioning.

Besides the above, saddles are very sensitive to tilt and height. Frequently just fiddling with those things resolves the issue.
Old 11-10-19, 10:30 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Sexy_Lugs
Hello friends,

I am sure this has been asked 100 times, but how long does it take till your sit bones get sore?
I don't know.

I was fine after my pair of unsupported 200 mile rides.

You want a saddle that fits. If yours is too narrow or too convex left to right, you'll rest on the insides of your sit bones not their tips. How flat the saddle is front to back, its tilt, and position are also important.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-10-19 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-13-19, 09:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
OP:

You might need a different saddle. Specialized makes many good models, many of them in different widths, and their dealers can measure your sitbones and make recommendations.

You might also need good shorts (or bibshorts) which fit properly.

You might also need to shift your position around occasionally. I like a saddle that allows me to scoot a little fore or aft, as slight shifting of the load will help on long rides.

But, to answer your question: with the wrong saddle, my posterior might start to ache after 20 miles; with the right saddle (and all other variables dialed in) I have ridden 200+ miles in a day with absolutely no issues.
Old 11-13-19, 09:53 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
My experience with saddles is that almost any saddle is okay for 50 miles. It's a candidate for further experimentation if it is comfortable for 80 miles. I have had some saddles that were comfortable for 200km, but not for longer distances, but that's rare.

This is a long-winded way of saying you should be looking for another saddle. Many bike shops have test saddles you can try, possibly for a fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.