Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hartog Bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hartog Bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 01:41 AM
pocketsheep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hartog Bicycle

Hey folks. Got a question for ya. My Grandfather gave me this bicycle and I am curious to find out what year it was made, what model it is and maybe its general value. Let me know if you need more info, Thx in advance.

PS
the seat is not original, not sure about the handle bars and cranks but everything else looks original to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DVC00045.JPG (39.6 KB, 152 views)
DVC00046.JPG (37.1 KB, 126 views)
DVC00040.JPG (38.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 10-10-07, 07:06 AM
amnomad

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one, model wise mine just says "Hartog's Dutch Cycle". I think mine is a 1964 based on a 64 stamped in the bottom of the bottom bracket shell. The condition doesn't look great on yours so I wouldn't say it has much value, 3 speeds in general are pretty cheap. They are also dependable though, clean it up, put a few drops of oil in the hubs and ride it. Here is mine:

John
Old 10-10-07, 10:06 AM
pocketsheep

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx John. Yeah its a rough bike, gonna take some time to get it ride ready. The 3 speed cable is pulled out of the hub, not sure if i can fix that. I cant find a year or a number that resembles a year anywhere on this bike, but oh well, again thx.

pocketsheep
Old 10-10-07, 10:57 AM
amnomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is a Sturmey Archer hub is should have a 2 digit date code on it, mine had a Brampton Hub that was not dated. If the hub is just missing the "indicator spindle" it is an easy fix, they just screw into the hub, you can buy one at Harris or probably any LBS for $7 https://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=875
John
Old 10-11-07, 05:55 AM
fritz1255

Bikes: Vintage French road bikes, older "rescue" mountain bikes

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best buddy in grammar school had a Hartog. Might even be that one - you don't by chance live in CT? Worst comes to worst, you can swap out the entire wheel with Sturmey Archer hub for another one, but as amnomad states, the chain piece simply screws into the hub.
Old 11-11-19, 11:07 AM
Gassen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boa tarde tenho uma bicicleta motorizada, desmonte para não estragar o.motor de é de 1948, e tem uns símbolos no esquadro, gostaria se alguém pode identificar vou enviar fotos. A marca é Hartog, o desenho é de um brasão tem uma coroa
Old 11-11-19, 12:52 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Hartog is an interesting brand. From a historical point of view anyway.

The founder, Teun Hartog sr, sympathized with the Nazis, and while his business flourished during the war years (he had access to materials others hadn't), it was closed down afterward because of that.

His son, Teun jr, restarted the business, but made the mistake of acquiring the well-known German "Brennabor" brand from the allied forces at an auction. Which made people think "he's just as bad as his dad".

As a result, most Hartog bicycles were exported. Many ended up in Indonesia and the US.

Originally Posted by Gassen
Boa tarde tenho uma bicicleta motorizada, desmonte para não estragar o.motor de é de 1948, e tem uns símbolos no esquadro, gostaria se alguém pode identificar vou enviar fotos. A marca é Hartog, o desenho é de um brasão tem uma coroa
Boa tarde a voce! Welcome to Bikeforums. Have you got a picture of the headbadge? Here are a few that I've found:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-11-19, 02:37 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie

The founder, Teun Hartog sr, sympathized with the Nazis, and while his business flourished during the war years (he had access to materials others hadn't), it was closed down afterward because of that.

His son, Teun jr, restarted the business, but made the mistake of acquiring the well-known German "Brennabor" brand from the allied forces at an auction. Which made people think "he's just as bad as his dad".

As a result, most Hartog bicycles were exported. Many ended up in Indonesia and the US.

Boa tarde a voce! Welcome to Bikeforums. Have you got a picture of the headbadge? Here are a few that I've found:

-----

Thanks so much for this historical background information on the marque!

The specific details of the Hartog version of the winged wheel symbol have always struck me as being perilously close to those of the bent cross...

-----
Old 02-17-20, 04:30 AM
kay.gol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hartog history

Originally Posted by non-fixie

Sorry, but i have to correct this! Teun Hartog sr didnt sympathized with the nazis. His son Pieter Hartog was a member of the NSB (the dutch version of Hitlers NSDAP) so he did sympathise with the nazis. The Hartog factory was based in Zeist where the nazis seized the building for there warindustry. The Hartog company had to continue in empty horsestables.

Hartog didnt export there bicycles because the dutch people thoughed they were "bad" they always aimed for the international market( especially indonesia).

Afther the war Pieter was arrested by his 10 year younger brother Teun Hartog jr. who had to hide under the floor of a church for the occupation and was part of the Dutch resistance. From that moment Pieter wasnt anymore a big part of the company.

I dont know where you found your information but it is not the correct version of the Hartog story..
Old 02-17-20, 11:53 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by kay.gol
Sorry, but i have to correct this! Teun Hartog sr didnt sympathized with the nazis. His son Pieter Hartog was a member of the NSB (the dutch version of Hitlers NSDAP) so he did sympathise with the nazis. The Hartog factory was based in Zeist where the nazis seized the building for there warindustry. The Hartog company had to continue in empty horsestables.

Hartog didnt export there bicycles because the dutch people thoughed they were "bad" they always aimed for the international market( especially indonesia).

Afther the war Pieter was arrested by his 10 year younger brother Teun Hartog jr. who had to hide under the floor of a church for the occupation and was part of the Dutch resistance. From that moment Pieter wasnt anymore a big part of the company.

I dont know where you found your information but it is not the correct version of the Hartog story..
Welcome to the forums! And thank you for the clarification. I don't recall where I read or heard the story, but apparently I'd missed the bit of Pieter taking over from his father.