Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Obsolete or Make your Own Bicycle Graphics Tip

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 04:36 AM
robbied196

Bikes: Harry Hall, Vitus 979, Viscount Aerospace, Dawes Galaxy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post

I work as a Graphic Designer and restore bicycles. A combination of jobs that led me to a pretty trick way of making new, or re-creating bicycle graphics.

I thought I'd post the process here is case its of some use to someone.

I'm currently restoring a 1956 Dunelt and I know there's no way of tracking down new old stock, or replacement transfers and in any case a lot of graphics from this period were painted. Fortunately, between what was left of the original graphics and google images I found a good reference to start.

So here is what I do.

Step 1. Photograph or google a half decent image of what your trying to create.

Step 2. Re-draw the graphic. Ok, I do this sort of thing everyday but if you've got a basic drawing package and a bit of patience you can soon achieve good results. I'm using the technological route here, but, all of this can be could done by hand with a pencil and scalpel, like the old days!

Step 3. What I end up with on my computer is a 'vector file', a wireframe of the graphic. This type of file can be used with any plotter to cut the vinyl.

Step 4. The cut vinyl. Now I remove the vinyl where I want the paint to go.

Step 5. Obviously I can't remove the backer from the vinyl to stick it down without losing all my detailing bits. So, I apply a backer to the surface of the vinyl, masking tape or any low tack tape will do, rub it down hard. So now the vinyl is in a sandwich, masking tape on top, original backer underneath.

Step 6. I mark a couple of lines on the masking tape side to help with alignment.

Step 7. Now I can remove the vinyl backer, leaving the adhesive of the vinyl exposed.

Step 8. So that the vinyl doesn't 'grab' the surface, I wipe the frame with some soapy water, this enables me to move it into position and check alignment.

Step 9. Wipe down and leave to dry, then remove the masking tape, leaving the vinyl stuck in position. Make sure its completely dry, any water left under the vinyl will suck the paint underneath.

Step 10. Mask up and paint, I usually go for 2 light coats, leave to dry, remove vinyl, job done

The beauty of this is you can cut anything from logo's to pinlines. With some clever masking multi colour is also easy. Or for something amazing…. gold size and gold leaf!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2011-03-23_1028.jpg (36.9 KB, 606 views)
DSC00442.jpg (116.1 KB, 600 views)
DSC00443.jpg (99.0 KB, 592 views)
DSC00444.jpg (97.5 KB, 591 views)
DSC00445.jpg (97.6 KB, 600 views)
DSC00446.jpg (98.1 KB, 591 views)
DSC00447.jpg (99.2 KB, 596 views)
DSC00450.jpg (94.0 KB, 622 views)
Old 03-24-11, 04:44 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Very nicely done! I am going to try this process on my CCM Tour du Canada which has been waiting for art for a long time now. I even have the original art but I do not want to damage the near forty year old decals...
Old 03-24-11, 04:53 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
if you don't have a vinyl cutter you can get custom vinyl masks cut at almost any sign shop. they will prep the vinyl so it's ready to apply. (steps 4 and 5) they might even be able to recreate the artwork for you

instead of masking tape you can use contact paper if you have large masks. thats what they use in sign shops

/used to work in a sign shop

Last edited by frantik; 03-24-11 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-24-11, 05:12 AM
SteveSGP

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice work, I had a friend make me some custom vinyl for my bike and it looks great.

Vinyl is also cool because it's easily removed and changed, as long as you don't clear coat it anyways.
Old 03-24-11, 05:55 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Your graphic looks good, and your method sounds pretty easy, but I think you left out some details. Let's see if I followed this correctly:

You ran white vinyl through a plotter-type printer that laser cuts the edges. Do you have this printer yourself? Where would you suggest I have this done?

You then stuck masking tape to the surface of the vinyl to hold it all together.

You then stuck the vinyl to the bike.

You then removed the bits of vinyl where you wanted paint to go.

You then applied some gold paint.

You then removed the rest of the vinyl, along with all the paint over it.

The resulting 'decal' consists of gold paint applied directly to the bike; the vinyl is all gone.

Is that right?
Old 03-24-11, 06:03 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
This is essentially the same process I used to recreate some of the graphics on my Follis. Masking works well, but make certain your edges are burnished down pretty good, and go for multiple light coats of paint rather than a single thick coat to avoid "tearing" the paint film where it overlaps the mask when you lift it off. (JIC, have a brand new X-Acto knife handy.)
Old 03-24-11, 06:14 AM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice Job! That's just what I'm planning on doing for my bike. Painted logos really add to the character of a bike. The Peugeot logo that I'm recreating had a checker pattern that faded out the farther from the lettering it got. This masking method is a great way to "enhance" the fade effect they had into a real one.

There is a special vinyl with a low-tack adhesive made specifically for masking jobs like this. I've used it many times in many situations with great results.

If you have your design cut at a sign shop, they can and probably will do the "frisket" or the front "backing" that you mention. The frisket can be a paper one that is translucent, or you can get a clear plastic one. The clear one stretches, and it's harder to mark layout lines, but can be advantageous in certain circumstances.

The one thing that you should mention is that not all graphics programs will create a vector file. Make sure the program you draw your artwork in will. Otherwise the sign guy won't accept the artwork, or will charge a princely sum for vectorizing so his plotter will cut it out.
Old 03-24-11, 07:32 AM
old_dreams

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Nice result.

Can you elaborate on Step 4 in which you remove the vinyl where you want the paint to go. Do you need a special plotter/cutter to do this or could you hand cut after printing if you were very careful. If so how do you guard against cutting into the backing layer.
Old 03-24-11, 08:43 AM
robbied196

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for all your comments guys

Originally Posted by rhm
Your graphic looks good, and your method sounds pretty easy, but I think you left out some details. Let's see if I followed this correctly:

You ran white vinyl through a plotter-type printer that laser cuts the edges. Do you have this printer yourself? Where would you suggest I have this done?

You then stuck masking tape to the surface of the vinyl to hold it all together.

You then stuck the vinyl to the bike.

You then removed the bits of vinyl where you wanted paint to go.

You then applied some gold paint.

You then removed the rest of the vinyl, along with all the paint over it.

The resulting 'decal' consists of gold paint applied directly to the bike; the vinyl is all gone.

Is that right?
Nearly right, I'm lucky, I have a plotter at work, basically its a power driven cutting knife, if your handy with a scalpel there's no reason why you couldn't cut the graphics by hand. Just be careful not to cut through the whole sheet.

Once you've cut, then you remove the vinyl from areas you want to paint. What your aiming to do is reverse the vinyl, so the adhesive is on the outside. Apply the masking tape over the top, peel off the vinyl backer (I'm in the UK I think we have different terms for this, but hopefully the photo's help) stick down on your frame, remove the masking tape, spray or paint with a brush for pin lines, remove the vinyl.

Originally Posted by old_dreams
Thanks for posting this. Nice result.

Can you elaborate on Step 4 in which you remove the vinyl where you want the paint to go. Do you need a special plotter/cutter to do this or could you hand cut after printing if you were very careful. If so how do you guard against cutting into the backing layer.
The plotter is quick, accurate and will cut exactly the same graphic as many times as you want it. Many sign shops or vehicle graphics company's use them and would probably cut some vinyl for you, but it can all be done by hand. The best way of cutting vinyl by hand is to use a new blade, get used to the feel of the pressure needed, the blade tip will glide through the vinyl as its soft, but you'll feel it dragging if your going through the backer as well. A scalpel is good but a swivel knife is much better for cutting curves.
Old 03-24-11, 08:52 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Would you care to share your Dunelt vector files?
...or trade some parts? I have a fifties Dunelt in need of full restoration.

Please show us more pics of the finished bike too.
Old 03-24-11, 09:10 AM
robbied196

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clubman
Would you care to share your Dunelt vector files?
...or trade some parts? I have a fifties Dunelt in need of full restoration.

Please show us more pics of the finished bike too.
No problem at all clubman, PM me your email and I send you an Illustrator vector, I've done the horizontal and vertical. I've been keeping a photo restoration history, so I'll definately be posting some before and after pics when I'm finished. I've just got to make a decision on whether to re-chrome a westwood 40 hole rim or pay a crazy Ebay price!!
Old 03-24-11, 09:15 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Don't rechrome, and don't pay the crazy ebay price. Wait. The rim you want will turn up sooner than you think.
Old 03-24-11, 09:22 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
rudi, with some time, some L channel stock and a couple of stepper motors and a controller you can make a plotter capable enough to do this. The driver and plotter software is well developed and freely available.

Google "DIY CNC" and you'll get a lot of ideas for both Plotters and 3 axis milling
Old 03-24-11, 09:34 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Great idea, Zaphod!

Note to self: don't listen to a guy with two heads.
Old 03-24-11, 09:38 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
its the crazy one that does most of the thinking.
Old 10-26-19, 04:35 AM
gbsk

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oes anyone know where I can get a file for Austro Daimler decals?

I am refurbishing an AD SL that I bought around 1978.
Old 10-26-19, 08:09 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
The letter height here is fortunate as it does not wrap around the tube a large amount.
different graphics will not be so friendly.
a graphic designer should be able to adjust for this single plane error from a curved surface- my take would be 4 to 5 images around the tube to reference and maybe even splice them together- I did that once in the pre digital era using a self made mount to keep the camera orientation and focal length accurate. A copy stand camera mounted on a board where the frame could swing freely under would be nice.

there is vinyl that is specifically designed as a paint mask material.

For the do do it yourself types, the "weeding" of the unwanted vinyl is a bunch of work- the more intricate the higher the effort. Any interruptions in the vector file letterform closures will bite you. A way to test is to color fill the letters on screen to make cure all is attached to each other.

from the description, I think the most important is the art creation- the step that is glossed over.
Old 10-26-19, 08:28 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
from the description, I think the most important is the art creation- the step that is glossed over.
Yes. It is no small task.

I also think it creates the most critical dilemma. The original artwork was not made with a computer. And no matter what tools you use, hand-drawn will never have the accuracy or the look of a computer. Now, you can use a the computer to reproduce those imperfections, but now you are looking at 3x-4x the time it takes to make the slick reproductions.

So most, if not nearly all reproduction decals just look wrong to me. I have no problem with over-restoration, but it is what it is.
Old 10-26-19, 10:01 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Yes. It is no small task.

I also think it creates the most critical dilemma. The original artwork was not made with a computer. And no matter what tools you use, hand-drawn will never have the accuracy or the look of a computer. Now, you can use a the computer to reproduce those imperfections, but now you are looking at 3x-4x the time it takes to make the slick reproductions.

So most, if not nearly all reproduction decals just look wrong to me. I have no problem with over-restoration, but it is what it is.
It's usually pretty easy to pick out the restorations, as they're "too perfect". Some people like the ultra-realism, but mostly I'm with you. The real masters know how to "wear down" a finish to match the original so you can't tell, which is important when doing a repair, for example.

I'm digging this thread. I've done a few vinyl decals, but never using them as a mask. The process seems pretty simple, it sounds like it's really just attention to detail to make it come out right.
Old 10-26-19, 12:32 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by gugie
It's usually pretty easy to pick out the restorations, as they're "too perfect". Some people like the ultra-realism, but mostly I'm with you. The real masters know how to "wear down" a finish to match the original so you can't tell, which is important when doing a repair, for example.

I'm digging this thread. I've done a few vinyl decals, but never using them as a mask. The process seems pretty simple, it sounds like it's really just attention to detail to make it come out right.
On many bikes recreating the "slap-dash" production variations that was part of the original work is near impossible for a Master refinisher to allow themselves to do.
I have had intense discussion regarding where to place the paint transition on a contrasting color head tube... I had to acept the fact he was just not willing to do it at the "top" edge of the lug- even with plenty of photo evidence.
Keith Anderson was good at spray on graphics. The effort/reward equation was not good enough, he left the business.
Old 10-27-19, 03:29 AM
cinco

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
The letter height here is fortunate as it does not wrap around the tube a large amount.
different graphics will not be so friendly.
a graphic designer should be able to adjust for this single plane error from a curved surface- my take would be 4 to 5 images around the tube to reference and maybe even splice them together- I did that once in the pre digital era using a self made mount to keep the camera orientation and focal length accurate. A copy stand camera mounted on a board where the frame could swing freely under would be nice.

there is vinyl that is specifically designed as a paint mask material.

For the do do it yourself types, the "weeding" of the unwanted vinyl is a bunch of work- the more intricate the higher the effort. Any interruptions in the vector file letterform closures will bite you. A way to test is to color fill the letters on screen to make cure all is attached to each other.

I just use tracing paper to make a quick reference sketch of the decal to deal with geometric distortion. Once that's imported and you have the scale correct you can set it and the photograph as background images and do the vector work on top. Once you're done you just drop out the background layers. Inkscape is free and there are lots of tutorials for it out there. I was a complete novice and it only took about a week of evenings to learn the program and draw up a full decal set for my Lygie.
Old 10-27-19, 11:44 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

It would seem to me that one could get a really nice, durable finish with clearcoat over stenciled graphics at a fairly low cost. I've been thinking of doing the following:

1. Have frame powder powder coated. You can get this done somewhere in the $100-$150 range, depending on where you live.
2. Stencil graphics on, as shown above with wet paint of some sort
3 Clear coat with a spray can 2k product.

Details I'm thinking about:

a) Should I roughen the powder coat a bit prior to stencil and clear coating to improve adhesion? I think a super fine sandpaper or steel wool mimght do the trick, but this is an area I'm woefully inexperienced at.
b) Does 2k clear coat harden fast enough to wet sand/polish in between a few coats for a super smooth finish? My understanding is that once you activate 2k the pot life is somewhere around 24 hours, so it's use it or lose it?
Old 10-27-19, 12:04 PM
repechage

Use it or lose it and the paintgun too unless you clean it all out first.
Old 10-27-19, 12:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Use it or lose it and the paintgun too unless you clean it all out first.
Yep. Right now I'm thinking of just using a spray can type as "proof of concept".

Am I overthinking this? Just use 2-3 light coats and then polish it down?
Old 10-27-19, 02:24 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco
I just use tracing paper to make a quick reference sketch of the decal to deal with geometric distortion. Once that's imported and you have the scale correct you can set it and the photograph as background images and do the vector work on top. Once you're done you just drop out the background layers. Inkscape is free and there are lots of tutorials for it out there. I was a complete novice and it only took about a week of evenings to learn the program and draw up a full decal set for my Lygie.
this technique with photos to illustrate how it is done.
https://lixbmx.com/tips-for-tracing-survivor-decals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.